News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Ecurb's travels

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, November 27, 2019, 01:08:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

For Bruno, my Pad Tai with chicken at Churchill Arms.  For some reason, many pubs serve Thai food.  Kinda fits in with the environment.  This is where I met the stockbroker and his wife. He was English, but had an MBA from Harvard, and worked with Solomon Bros. for 10 years on Wall Street.  Then he went to Tokyo and Hong Kong before retiring at 46 (he is now 71).  So he did very well.  His wife is from India and they also have property in the south of France. He brought me a Glenfiddich 12 (double neat) before my walk back to Soho, and my knees appreciated the anesthetic.

This is a wonderful thing about London - there are so many connections here from everywhere in the world. You encounter everything.  For example, after being here for almost a week now, I can say "fuck" in 27 different accents.

Ecurb Noselrub

Last photo today.  A scene from The Mousetrap.  Obviously, this is an Agatha Christie play, and it is the longest running play in British history - 69 straight years (not counting the shutdown last year due to Covid).  So, the Queen began her rule in February 1952; I was born in September 1952; and The Mousetrap began to run in October 1952.  And I saw all three of them today: The Queen behind her black bars, myself in the mirror (yuck), and The Mousetrap on stage.  Quite an alignment of the stars for me.  Cheers!

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: hermes2015 on October 07, 2021, 04:12:34 AM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on October 06, 2021, 08:11:20 PM

Quiz: What happened on top of this building on January 30, 1969?

I think some band played on the roof, but I can't remember more than that. Perhaps the Rolling Stones?

I assume you are joking, but just in case you are not, this is 3 Savile Row (about 10 minutes from my hotel), where the Beatles played their Rooftop Concert, their last public appearance.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Tank on October 06, 2021, 08:55:12 PM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on October 06, 2021, 08:02:21 PM

Oxford Street at sunset.

What a truly beautiful photograph!

I wish I could get more like this.  Everything was just right. Photography is not my strong suite, especially with just an IPhone.  And it is impossible for me to truly capture the effect of what I am seeing. 

Tank

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on October 08, 2021, 08:10:59 AM

Houses of Parliament. The Elizabeth Tower is being repaired, but you can still see Big Ben the clock showing.

[PEDANTIC]You can't actually see Big Ben as that is the bell inside the tower.[/PEDANTIC]
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hermes2015

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on October 08, 2021, 09:11:49 AM
Quote from: hermes2015 on October 07, 2021, 04:12:34 AM

I think some band played on the roof, but I can't remember more than that. Perhaps the Rolling Stones?

I assume you are joking, but just in case you are not, this is 3 Savile Row (about 10 minutes from my hotel), where the Beatles played their Rooftop Concert, their last public appearance.

No, sadly I wasn't! I should stick to classical music in future, where I am on firmer ground. I looked it up in the meantime.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

we shall now refer to uou as christopher robin

set the function, not the mechanism.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Papasito Bruno on October 07, 2021, 02:38:22 AM

If that's #3 Savile Row, which I believe it is, than something magical and wonderful happened there! :party:

It looks like I win the quiz,...I'll shoot you my address Ecurb so you can mail me my winnings :frolic:

Well, it certainly looks like from your wonderful pictures that you are really enjoying your trip, as well as getting lots of walking in which is nice. There's no better way to enjoy a trip abroad than being able to simply stroll around.

That Pad Thai looks very yummy, so thanks for posting...one of my favorite local restaurants is Thai, and I find it intriguing that the pubs there serve Thai, what a nice variety.

Enjoying your pictures very much...the inside of Westminster Abbey looks amazing. I really love old churches, and that one in particular has such a long history. It would truly be amazing to step inside.

I saw Mousetrap years ago (Local Community Performance, and it was quite good), but I had no idea the play has been running for so long in London, wow...so very cool you get to see it there, I bet it was a wonderful performance.

I think I could make out the Queen from your picture, but not sure....you should have asked her why she doesn't visit the forum anymore? I used to really enjoy her posts here.

Don't forget to have a drink or two on Mags... 8)
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Tank on October 08, 2021, 10:56:06 AM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on October 08, 2021, 08:10:59 AM

Houses of Parliament. The Elizabeth Tower is being repaired, but you can still see Big Ben the clock showing.

[PEDANTIC]You can't actually see Big Ben as that is the bell inside the tower.[/PEDANTIC]

Oh crap, I knew that.  Now I feel stupid.

hermes2015

Quote from: billy rubin on October 08, 2021, 02:20:21 PM
we shall now refer to uou as christopher robin

Oh yes, he designed St. Paul's Cathedral.
:evilgrin:
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

theres a statue to christpher wren in there somewhere you are walking, bruce. near haymarket?

because of the fire

set the function, not the mechanism.

Ecurb Noselrub

For lunch, Chicken Ruby at Dishoom, an Indian restaurant in Soho. It is a butter chicken with a smooth curry sauce.  Quite tasty.

Ecurb Noselrub

Went through Chinatown this evening.

Ecurb Noselrub

Pork dim sum, Shanghai style for appetizer at dinner.

Ecurb Noselrub

Cashew chicken for main course.  Very tender and good.