News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Ecurb's travels

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, November 27, 2019, 01:08:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on October 06, 2021, 08:11:20 PM

Quiz: What happened on top of this building on January 30, 1969?

If that's #3 Savile Row, which I believe it is, than something magical and wonderful happened there! :party:
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on October 06, 2021, 08:17:58 PM

Bruno, here is another wall photo, showing more clearly the line between Roman and medieval.  Yes, you can get close enough to touch it in some places, but I did not pilfer anything.

That's a really nice picture, thank you...(We'll have Tank check your luggage before you depart) ::)
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Dark Lightning

It's just some old chunk of brick I picked up in the countryside, honest!  :D

hermes2015

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on October 06, 2021, 08:11:20 PM

Quiz: What happened on top of this building on January 30, 1969?

I think some band played on the roof, but I can't remember more than that. Perhaps the Rolling Stones?
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on October 06, 2021, 07:48:48 PM

portobello!

i used totake the train in from walton on thames on saturdays to spend all my money at the flea markets there.

i recall stuff that were ii to have it now would make me temporararily wealthy, but was dirt cheap there and then

damn thats been a while

i shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled

set the function, not the mechanism.

Ecurb Noselrub

I'm posting later than usual, as I stayed out late last night watching The Mousetrap at St. Martin's Theater.  Yesterday I did the typical tourist stuff, but there was one big surprise, which I will explain later.  I walked south, to Trafalgar Square, across the Thames, to Waterloo Station, past the London Eye, back across the Thames to the houses of Parliament, Westminster Abbey, and down the Mall to Buckingham Palace.  Then I decided to walk the length of Hyde Park again so I could return to Churchill Arms pub in Kensington, where I ate Pad Thai and met a lovely couple - he was a retired stockbroker and his wife was from India. Then back to Soho and getting ready for the play.  For the 4th day in a row, I walked over 10 miles.   

Ecurb Noselrub

The London Eye, from the Golden Jubilee walking bridge.

Ecurb Noselrub

Houses of Parliament. The Elizabeth Tower is being repaired, but you can still see the clock showing.  Big Ben is the bell (Tank reminded me)!

Ecurb Noselrub

Boudica statue. She was a Celtic queen whose tribe burned Roman London and some other towns, but Nero sent more troops in and defeated her.  Coincidental that I saw the Nero exhibit at the British Museum a few days ago.

Ecurb Noselrub

Front of Westminster Abbey.

Ecurb Noselrub

Side entrance to the Abbey.

Ecurb Noselrub

Ecurb Noselrub

Buckingham Palace behind the Queen Victoria monument.  Here is where the surprise occurred.  I happened to be there a little before the beginning of the Queen's Baton Relay, which is, I understand, the beginning of the Commonwealth Games, which actually are played next year in Birmingham.  She gives a baton to an athlete and it is carried around to the various Commonwealth countries, like the Olympic Torch. 

Well, guess who showed up - The Queen!!!  I was a few hundred yards away, but I did get some photos.  I'll show you one in which you can see her. She is about 1/4 inches tall and dressed in orange (that's almost literally true).  That will be the next photo.

Ecurb Noselrub

See if you can locate her a little to the left of center of this photo.  You should be able to tap to enlarge. Sorry, that's as good as I could do with an IPhone.  She came in a car, got out and did the ceremony, got back in the car and left, I guess back to Windsor Castle.

William, Charles and I think Camilla were there, too, but who cares. I saw the Queen!!