News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Should we talk about the weather?

Started by Eric V Arachnid, December 28, 2014, 12:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Yesterday temperatures reached 40C. My pup was suffering a lot with the heat and pawing her water bowl non-stop so I filled a small plastic box with cool water and placed her front paws in it. She uncharacteristically sat still and...just sat there, panting as if just having undergone heavy physical exertion. I soaked her legs, belly and neck as she sat with her paws in the water.

Having done that she got up and started bouncing all over the place, soaking wet, and refused to let me dry her with a towel. That's the pup I know and love.

Yesterday was almost intolerable.

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sandra Craft

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 12, 2021, 12:46:45 PM
Having done that she got up and started bouncing all over the place, soaking wet, and refused to let me dry her with a towel. That's the pup I know and love.

:love:  I know exactly how she feels -- a few summers ago it got up to 113 F for several days here.

Now, tho, I almost (almost) miss those temps it's been so cold.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Sandra Craft on January 12, 2021, 10:46:49 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 12, 2021, 12:46:45 PM

:love:  I know exactly how she feels -- a few summers ago it got up to 113 F for several days here.

Now, tho, I almost (almost) miss those temps it's been so cold.

Trade! :P

Seriously though, I prefer the cold over hot weather. It's like there's just no escaping the heat.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 12, 2021, 10:55:26 PM

Seriously though, I prefer the cold over hot weather. It's like there's just no escaping the heat.

True.  In cold weather at least you can put on more clothes or get under blankets -- there's a natural limit to what you can take off in the heat.  Also, this is a lot of fun to do --  :kelly:
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Sandra Craft on January 12, 2021, 11:01:27 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 12, 2021, 10:55:26 PM

True.  In cold weather at least you can put on more clothes or get under blankets -- there's a natural limit to what you can take off in the heat.  Also, this is a lot of fun to do --  :kelly:

Yes! Though if I were to try and dance in the rain I would certainly fall on my ass and break my coccyx.  ::) Best not get too enthusiastic during rainy days.  ;D

Icarus

Sandy, I also hate being cold.  If I die and go to hell it will be freezing there, not flaming as most people tend to believe.

A recent snippet about the people who live above the Arctic circle told how their bodies and minds needed "freezeurassoff" frigidity to be happy. To each his own........

billy rubin

i would much rather be hot than cold. i will happily work all day in the sun at 46 C in preference to working all day in the clouds at -26.

i've done both.

here in ohio i've had to go to work wearing 7 kilos of clothing to stay warm, with chemical heat packs in my gloves in boots. th eheavy clothing makes the day exhausting, as i have no freedom of movement and have to climb up on and around things. my fingers don't work and i have to stand in ankle-deep ice water.

at 46 i can work almost naked. running bees in california i would work all day in just trousers and a veil. extracting honey in the afternoon i would close up the honey house and work completely naked, periodically flushing the perspiration and honey off me with the hot water hose, then go back to work.

but i grew up on the equator. maybe that makes a difference. it never gets hot in ohio, maybe 32 C

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

xSilverPhinx

billy rubin

not as weird as some, i was about to say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEDmZlVCCzc

then i listened to what she had to say, and i'm afraid i understand. i have expressed identical sentiments once in a conversation in virginia.

it wasn't a super hot day, maybe 37 C, but i was working 14 feet in the air throwing two sixty pound tarps over a load of styrofoam insulation on the top of the trailer. had to climb a ladder to get up there, arrange the tarps in the sun, then go back down and throw the straps over the load.

eastern deciduous woodland, so there was very high humidity, and my body was shedding heat as fast as it could.

one of the other truck drivers there said to me, iirc, i can help you with that. it's too hot to do it by yourself.

and i remember telling him, no, i like it. doing this kind of work is what makes me feel alive.

i'd forgotten all of that until i saw this woman step into the ice covered lake. so maybe she isn't as weird as i was about to say.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Icarus

The woman in that vid is very well put together......all except for her brain.  She is clearly as crazy as a bedbug. 

Tank

We have 5cm of snow and it's still coming down. Could get 10cm in total.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tom62

We expect here extreme black ice conditions with temperatures between -20 and -10 degrees Celsius.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Tank

Quote from: Tom62 on February 06, 2021, 08:57:46 PM
We expect here extreme black ice conditions with temperatures between -20 and -10 degrees Celsius.

Fuck!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

my wife had to spend tuesday night at a hotel in town

couldnt get home

snow was two feet deep on the road back. i was off two dayz so i didnt have to go out. they finally got ploughed and she came home a day later

xSilverPhinx

So much cold up north. Meanwhile, down south it's been  :hammock:

:grin: