News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Should we talk about the weather?

Started by Eric V Arachnid, December 28, 2014, 12:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Magic 8 Ball, what temps are we looking at today?

Going to be hell today ain't it?

:desert:

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Harmonie

Quote from: Tank on December 25, 2019, 09:31:21 AM
Outsider dumb question. Why does anybody live in 'Tornado Ally'?

I have no clue. I only live there because I'm stuck there until my family can get enough money to move to New England.

If you asked me why people like living here you'll have completely lost me.

Quote from: billy rubin on December 25, 2019, 12:33:37 PM
oklahoma can be a w9nderful place, when the sirens are quiet.

biologically it divides north america into north, south, east, and west.

5he southeast is eastern deciduous woodland wi5h 56 inches of rain, whil3 the northwest is high plains with 18 inches. alligators in the southeast versus pronghorn antelope in the northwest

its the easternmost border for western animals like the kangaroo ratsz, and the wester n border for eastern animals like the p8leated woodpecker.

but the winds can be intense in the springtime, for sure. ive seen my share of trailer homes hanging in the treetops, and metal barns flipped upside down. harmonie can probably tell similqr stories.

That's not how I think of Oklahoma. Lol.

When I think of the various regions of Oklahoma I think of this:

Western Oklahoma: Arid, more desert-like. Extremely wild temperature swings during the Winter. The only portion of the state that gets Winter Storms anymore. It is the only area of Oklahoma that I think is worth going out to see, but then again there are similar ecosystems in other, better states. While it's nice they get winter storms, it also gets waayyyy too darn hot in the winter on a regular basis. I've seen the area go from 90 degrees one day to an ice storm the next.

Central Oklahoma: This is the most unlivable portion of the state. It is a bullseye for tornadoes, and the really big ones. I can not understand why Moore is not an abandoned town at this point.

Eastern Oklahoma: You get some pretty wild temperature swings during the winter, you get some tornadic storms in the Spring. But the area has, as I've reported here over the last many years, become allergic to winter storms. I've seen them go literally everywhere around - Western Oklahoma, Northern Texas, Western Arkansas, Southwest Missouri, Southern Kansas. But never Eastern Oklahoma anymore. It's like climatically we keep on getting shifted further Southeast.

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

billy rubin

my family lived about 30 miles south of moore for nearly 100 years, across the south canadian in the chickasaw nation. i've seen moore hit several times.

had a friend living in wichita falls back in 1979, just across the river from oklahoma. she was in a shopping center when the spotters ran in and told everyone to get down. no better warnings back then.

so she lay down on top of her two-year-old while the shopping center was torn up. when it was over she went outside to go home and her car was gone.

so she took a cab home and her apartment was gone, too.

found a picture of it

set the function, not the mechanism.

Buddy

Some of us were drug here by our parents
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

jumbojak

Oil has a fair amount to do with it. There's decent farmland there too.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

billy rubin

set the function, not the mechanism.

Harmonie

It's 71 degrees outside. Faarrr too warm to be festive and wear my bassoon ugly sweater for Christmas. This is not the first time this has happened in recent years, too. =/

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Buddy

Quote from: Harmonie on December 25, 2019, 10:07:04 PM
It's 71 degrees outside. Faarrr too warm to be festive and wear my bassoon ugly sweater for Christmas. This is not the first time this has happened in recent years, too. =/

Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Tom62

Me and my wife are visiting my mother in law in Türkenfeld (Bayern). The weather is cold (8 degrees), foggy, windy and rainy.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

xSilverPhinx

xSilverPhinx

Last night was horrible. I woke up multiple times because of the heavy, hot air carrying a heat that wouldn't subside even with the window open. I have to get the AC cleaned before I can turn it on and don't have a ceiling fan in my room. I guess I'd better add, 'buy a table fan' to the to do list today...

It's been a while since I've had such a bad night.

Ecurb Noselrub

Same reason people live where earthquakes, volcanoes, hurricanes, and crime occur - statistically, it probably won't happen to you, and the benefits outweigh the risks.  I've lived in central Texas all my life and have never been in a tornado.

Harmonie

A Tornado Warning in late December, you all. I knew a severe thunderstorm was coming, but then within seconds "Tornado Warning" popped up on my phone and I was like "Are you flipping kidding me?" The sirens started going off and then they broke in on the TV about it... And guess what it said when they broke in on the TV? "Winter Weather Update". Winter storms are so extinct around here that now we consider tornado warnings "Winter weather". Lovely.

I'm so done. Just so done. I can't do this anymore. Someone please save me and move me to New England or Canada, or somewhere else decent already.