News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Should we talk about the weather?

Started by Eric V Arachnid, December 28, 2014, 12:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: Papasito Bruno on December 27, 2017, 08:42:42 PM
Quote from: Guardian85 on December 27, 2017, 08:32:07 PM
Depending on where you are in the village right now the temperature varies from -17 to -32 celsius at the moment.

About the same here in Detroit...been cold all week, plus we got more snow!

Degrees Centigrade not  Fahrenheit!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Tank on December 27, 2017, 09:03:10 PM
Quote from: Papasito Bruno on December 27, 2017, 08:42:42 PM
Quote from: Guardian85 on December 27, 2017, 08:32:07 PM
Depending on where you are in the village right now the temperature varies from -17 to -32 celsius at the moment.

About the same here in Detroit...been cold all week, plus we got more snow!

Degrees Centigrade not  Fahrenheit!

C'mon it's almost the same thing, what are we talking about 16-17 degrees difference? Hardly even worth mentioning!  ;D
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Dave

It's a balmy 1 degree Celsius in Gloucester at the moment, -1 forecast, so all that wet stuff from last night's snow is gonna be slippery tomorrow! No snow tonight hopefully.

Had the heater on low all day and barely reached 19C, but that is comfortable for me so long as I have my new mukluk style houseboots on!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Davin

The "cold" times here are getting fewer and fewer. We had a few cool weeks last year, this time it was two days. When I was going to college, it was often below freezing in the mornings between the end of November and March. Not so much the last few years. I used to be able to wear long sleeved shirts or hoodies all day long for weeks at a time. I was only able to do that for two days this winter so far. And it's not looking good for cool temps this year.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Tom62

The seasons seems to have shifted here by one month. We had only a couple of days in December with freezing temperatures. At New Years eve the temperature was 15-17 degrees Celsius. We didn't need to wear a coat to watch the fireworks outside. January should normally be colder, but is is still pretty mild with 6-9 degrees.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Bluenose

Next three days in Melbourne are forecast for 27°C, 31°C and 41°C

All praise to the aircon gods!
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Harmonie

It's been chilly lately! Like chilly weather we don't see very often. The high on Monday was 17F. Northerners are laughing, I'm sure. I know that's not anywhere near as cold as it can get, but where I live it is a once in a blue moon kind of day where it doesn't get out of the teens for a high. The last time I remember it happening was 2008.

It was the first time I've seen ponds frozen in several years. In recent years below freezing temperatures have been so short-lived that even shallow creeks and puddles have had trouble freezing.

The meteorologists said this (several days below freezing) was a real bug killer which is so nice. There were moths swarming me coming in the house in December before the most recent cold shot. Needless to say, I was furious, because there shouldn't be bugs in between November and April. Period. No exceptions. But in recent years the bugs have never completely gone away and pop up and fly into my face whenever the temperatures rise into the 60s (which happened A LOT last "winter").

Regardless, the cold is not going to stick around, and, of course, still no winter storms. None at all. The fact that this last cold shot was completely dry just makes me pretty certain we will not see any winter storms this winter, once again. =(

Would really like to see snow on the campus before I graduate, but I guess that's just too tall of an order.

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Pasta Chick

We're under that "polar vortex" and have been for some time. The temp hit 21F as a high yesterday and that felt balmy. We've been mostly single digits. There's a... As far as I can tell, some manner of winter hurricane that's coming up from the south, all warm from the ocean. So that's going to slam us tonight, bringing warm temps with moisture and 1-3" of snow per hour in its 50+ mph winds.

So that'll be interesting.

Then the polar vortex pushes it out and it'll be like -20F for a while, which will be super fun if every one loses power.

Bluenose

It seems to me, Pasta Chick, that you guys need to get that weather fixed!  -20°F?  You've got to be kidding.  We reckon it's bloody cold when it gets down to 5°C (41°F)!
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

xSilverPhinx

Yesterday it was 37°C  and now it's around 25°C. This weather is crazy.

I also discovered yesterday that my AC is broken. ::)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 06, 2018, 07:59:57 PM

Might have a couple of degrees of frost surplus and available tonight if we can find a fast enough carrier, Silver.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on January 06, 2018, 08:13:19 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 06, 2018, 07:59:57 PM

Might have a couple of degrees of frost surplus and available tonight if we can find a fast enough carrier, Silver.

It's in moments like this when I regret that Santa doesn't exist. :sad sigh:

If the guy can visit every child in the world in one night imagine how fast he goes!

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 06, 2018, 08:21:03 PM

If the guy can visit every child in the world in one night imagine how fast he goes!

Well, he actually has 24 hours because of the time zones. And he only visits good children - the other ones just get reindeer droppings down their chimney. And they have to be Christian.  And only particular types of Christians.  So that cuts his job down considerably.  He's really sort of a bigot.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on January 06, 2018, 10:09:04 PM

Well, he actually has 24 hours because of the time zones. And he only visits good children - the other ones just get reindeer droppings down their chimney. And they have to be Christian.  And only particular types of Christians.  So that cuts his job down considerably.  He's really sort of a bigot.

True, true...but still, if I had a courier service, that's the kind of employee I would hire, even if he is a bigot. It's not like I would have to deal with him every night of the year...

Pasta Chick

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on January 06, 2018, 10:09:04 PM

He's also a real asshole to Rudolph.