Main Menu

Should we talk about the weather?

Started by Eric V Arachnid, December 28, 2014, 12:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harmonie

Quote from: Gloucester on January 18, 2017, 03:51:37 PM
Quote from: Harmonie on January 18, 2017, 03:45:45 PM
Another flop of a winter. :sadcheer:

Every time we get the slightest bit of a cold spell it either snows very little or none, and the weather forecasters are all like "It'll be going back up to the 70s by the weekend". It's flipping January, it's not even supposed to get up to the 70s (or even 60s) in January, much less "go back" to them.

We're becoming more and more like Florida each year.

Where is you, Harmonie?

Eastern Oklahoma.

I specify that because Western and Central Oklahoma had a significant Ice Storm several days back while here where I live, it was above freezing so it just rained.

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Dave

Well, it was announced today that 2016 was the hottest year since records started.

With the hell-on-earth that is the Trumpocine I am sure it will get warmer, a new spike in the Anthropocine.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Dave

Quote from: Harmonie on January 18, 2017, 08:10:40 PM

Every time we get the slightest bit of a cold spell it either snows very little or none, and the weather forecasters are all like "It'll be going back up to the 70s by the weekend". It's flipping January, it's not even supposed to get up to the 70s (or even 60s) in January, much less "go back" to them.

Where is you, Harmonie?

Eastern Oklahoma.

I specify that because Western and Central Oklahoma had a significant Ice Storm several days back while here where I live, it was above freezing so it just rained.

If that's south west Oklahoma doesn't look too far north of north Florida! Flat stuff one side, bumpy stuff the other and getting towards dessert below? Does wind direction seriously affect things?

Icarus

Gloucester, Southeast Oklahoma is roughly 200 miles north of northeast Florida and about 500 miles west of the Florida panhandle.  As for wind direction well yes. We have some arctic air currents that sweep across the country from the  Bering sea areas and thereabouts.  Those currents are very influential and they behave in odd ways. Sometimes they affect the far northern states and leave the more central and southern states unmolested. At other times the current will dip southward and freeze the toes of north Floridians.  Weather is a bitch.

I live in peninsular Florida at about latitude 27. 5.  Right now the weather is beautiful at about 72 F at six o'clock in the evening. Today the temp reached about 78F at mid day. The temp will drop to about 62 F during the night.  That is all well and good but there have been some other seasons when we have had sub freezing nights and unpleasantly cold days.

This is Florida and pretty far south, but the hottest summer temperatures are not  completely debilitating. We reach the low to mid  90s on some mid summer days but rarely do they  approach 100.   If  you look at a world map you could see that I live at about the same level as Bahrain on the latitude line.

We have wonderfully comfortable weather most of the time but unfortunately too many invaders from the north have discovered our near Camelot. When I was a kid our state population was 900,000. It is now 20 million.  It is far from paradise any more. More than that the damnable mouse has made central Florida a crowded, rude, greedy, place to live. "Mouse" That would be Disney World and similar incredibly popular attractions) The friggin' exhaust gasses from the zillions of tourists' cars and the zillions of airline landings and departures carrying tourists,  probably elevate out temperatures.  Camelot no more! We have a now subdued and unsaid attitude among the natives....It used to be "Yankee go home" Now it is "Yankee, please, for Christs sake, stay home".

There is a whole industry near the Disney, Universal Studios, Sea World attractions that rent opulent and expensive short term houses to European visitors including more Brits than others. Not to misunderstand me here. We like the Brits. We cheerfully take their money and generally accord them their due courtesy and even some friendships.  ...............well looky here I have gone off the deep end with a loquacious fit of frenzy again  Pardon me please.  .....anyway Glou, Oklahoma is a long way from Florida.

Harmonie

^Our standards for good weather are completely different.

For me nice weather happens in the range from the mid 40s to the 60s (lower than that is very easy to deal with - layers!). Any warmer than that and it starts getting unpleasant. Low 70s can be tolerable. But generally they're accompanied with no wind and sun, and that's miserable. Even with wind, they have too much warmth for me. I prefer it cooler.

Florida ain't no Camelot. You couldn't pay me enough to even visit such a miserable place. Well there's *one* reason I would, but we're not going into that. :blush: (because it's not going anywhere  :waah: )

Quote from: Gloucester on January 18, 2017, 09:24:29 PM

Where is you, Harmonie?

Eastern Oklahoma.

If that's south west Oklahoma doesn't look too far north of north Florida! Flat stuff one side, bumpy stuff the other and getting towards dessert below? Does wind direction seriously affect things?

Western Oklahoma is actually kind of neat. They have mesas and stuff over there. Plus, they actually get snow over there. Their temperature ranges are even crazier than over here, though. Like I remember one time where it was 90 degrees, and then there was an ice storm all within 48 hours.

Oklahoma is a wild place.

Still, I'm not sure what you're saying here? I suppose I live further in East Oklahoma than I did a year ago. So I'm a slight bit closer to Florida. But it shouldn't make this much of a difference. I swear East Oklahoma has shifted to the Southeast climatically. You really get that feeling when it's still hitting the mid 80s in November.

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Icarus

And then there is this not ten miles from my house......http://video.foxnews.com/v/5283939468001/?#sp=show-clips

If we show enough clips like that then maybe those Yankees will actually think about staying home.  And one more thing, This used to be Camelot, no more, now it is more like times square. The gloss has vanished.

Dave

Quote from: Harmonie on January 19, 2017, 12:21:34 AM
^Our standards for good weather are completely different.

For me nice weather happens in the range from the mid 40s to the 60s (lower than that is very easy to deal with - layers!). Any warmer than that and it starts getting unpleasant. Low 70s can be tolerable. But generally they're accompanied with no wind and sun, and that's miserable. Even with wind, they have too much warmth for me. I prefer it cooler.

Florida ain't no Camelot. You couldn't pay me enough to even visit such a miserable place. Well there's *one* reason I would, but we're not going into that. :blush: (because it's not going anywhere  :waah: )

Quote from: Gloucester on January 18, 2017, 09:24:29 PM

Where is you, Harmonie?

Eastern Oklahoma.

Western Oklahoma is actually kind of neat. They have mesas and stuff over there. Plus, they actually get snow over there. Their temperature ranges are even crazier than over here, though. Like I remember one time where it was 90 degrees, and then there was an ice storm all within 48 hours.

Oklahoma is a wild place.

Still, I'm not sure what you're saying here? I suppose I live further in East Oklahoma than I did a year ago. So I'm a slight bit closer to Florida. But it shouldn't make this much of a difference. I swear East Oklahoma has shifted to the Southeast climatically. You really get that feeling when it's still hitting the mid 80s in November.

Oops, I put "south west" when I meant "south east"! Oklahoma doesn't seem to have much south in its far west!

I was just alluding to the fact that, largely, weather is shaped by and comes from elsewhere. As an island Britain has either Atlantic (wet and warmish if from the SW), Arctic (cold and wet) or European (cold and dry) winter weather. It will also be modified by local altitude of course.

Biggus Dickus

Looking at the weather map on my phone, it's showing the following forecast for tomorrow and beyond.

There seems to be great blackness looming up slowly out of the East, which will eat up the faint blurred stars in the sky.

Later the sinking moon will escape briefly from the pursuing clouds, but it will be ringed all about with a sickly yellow glare, and on Saturday no day will come, only a dead brown twilight, and back in the East there will be a dull red glare under the lowering clouds;  this will not be from the red of dawn.

The dead brown twilight shall remain the norm for all days.

Looking out from my office window all I can see is dun, a shadowless world, fading slowly into a featureless, colourless gloom.

It feels stifling but not warm; and at least there's no snow to shovel.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Guardian85

A few degrees below freezing and snowing hard. Dug my car out yesterday, and now there is another 15cm of snow on the roof.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Dave

Been clear and frosty for last couple of days here in Gloucester.

Which meant I was lucky enough to see one of the Perseid meteor shower pass over as I happened to glance out if the window last night.

Too bloody cold to go out with the camera and wait in hope and no where to set it up on fish-eye and long exposure - too much light polution anyway. There is a hill not far away, shadowed from the city lights by another hill, where the local star gazers congregate on crisp winter nights for their rituals. Whilst I sit in the warm and raise a glass of wine, or a mug of hot chocolate, to their endeavours!

xSilverPhinx

I wish it was cold here. Today was a normal summer day: not a cloud in the sky and UV radiation was way high. 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Ecurb Noselrub

75F in January in Texas.  We hardly have winter anymore - a week of cold and then 3 weeks of warm. 

Tom62

-5 to -10 degrees here in Neu-Anspach
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tom62 on January 25, 2017, 05:06:24 AM
-5 to -10 degrees here in Neu-Anspach

I'm cautiously thinking I'm a little jealous. Cautiously because I don't know if I would like temperatures that low. :P
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Bad Penny II

It got to 47C today, I think that's 117F.
Feb record was 42.5, max recorded ever was 43.3,
That's quite a large increase, I'm glad climate change is only Chinese propaganda, I wouldn't like this sort of thing to become the norm.
I much prefer hearing about these temps happening elsewhere, this bird agreed, it was having a hard time, water seemed to help.

Take my advice, don't listen to me.