News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: Crow on March 06, 2016, 04:12:37 PM
I'm getting pretty sick of people stating I have lost weight yet I have gained a stone in the last 5 months.
Fat to muscle?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Crow

Quote from: Tank on March 06, 2016, 04:17:08 PM
I'm getting pretty sick of people stating I have lost weight yet I have gained a stone in the last 5 months.
Fat to muscle?

No idea. I hadn't been making measurements. The last time I measured myself was in October of last year, people for the last three months have been constantly saying I have been losing weight. I had the opportunity to weigh myself earlier today on the same scales and have gained a stone, it is something I have been wanting to do as I have been getting it a lot recently then only shortly afterwards to have my brother say it looks like I had lost weight. I eat about 3k to 5k calories a day depending on my routine.

As you can only gain about 2 pounds of muscle a month some of that must either be fat or water.
Retired member.

Tank

Quote from: Crow on March 06, 2016, 04:29:51 PM
Quote from: Tank on March 06, 2016, 04:17:08 PM
Fat to muscle?

No idea. I hadn't been making measurements. The last time I measured myself was in October of last year, people for the last three months have been constantly saying I have been losing weight. I had the opportunity to weigh myself earlier today on the same scales and have gained a stone, it is something I have been wanting to do as I have been getting it a lot recently then only shortly afterwards to have my brother say it looks like I had lost weight. I eat about 3k to 5k calories a day depending on my routine.

As you can only gain about 2 pounds of muscle a month some of that must either be fat or water.
Or tumour.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Crow

Quote from: Tank on March 06, 2016, 06:03:24 PM
Or tumour.

That is what I originally thought. As I was getting it a lot from people that know me well and I was eating a lot but seeing as I am gaining weight which is very hard for me to do anyway I'm not going to bother with the doctor. If I had actually lost weight then I would have needed to go.
Retired member.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Harmonie on March 05, 2016, 01:30:11 PM
Quote from: Budhorse4 on March 05, 2016, 06:12:09 AM
Coming from the same area as Bruno, the weather isn't all fun in winter wonderland. Summer here sucks because of the humidity and spring and autumn are basically nonexistent and replaced with strange seasons with nothing but mud. Plus with all the freezing and thawing going on the roads here are littered with huge potholes.

You can't stop me from wanting to go to Michigan. =P My mind is pretty much set, actually. Although this would be at least a year away.  :(

I know it's not all fun... But it is far from that where I live. Our summers are a long block of heat and humidity that starts in April and ends somewhere in October. I'm sick and tired of it. I want to live somewhere where Winters are cold, and autumn and Spring are more on the cool side than the hot side, so I might actually enjoy them for once.

I'll take mud over tornadoes and heat any day.

We didn't even get a winter this year. Nothing that could have resembled a winter happened, aside from the trees and plants losing their leaves, and the days being shorter. And we're headed straight to heat. I needed my break from summer. I did not get it. I am agitated.

Like the new name Harmonie...

Discussing the weather and Michigan with you and Bud on this thread must have unloosed some karma with Mother Nature because we got hit by a nice snowstorm Friday night, and woke up yesterday morning to several inches of snow, and for the remainder of the day it lightly snowed, just a gentle dropping of flakes that drifted slowly to the ground.

It was nice to be outside, the air was crisp, but not too cold, probably the last decent snowfall will see this season :(

Here's a picture of the fir tree from the backyard, along with some bunny tracks in the snow.

Anyway, as a long time Michigander I extend an invitation from the beautiful state of Michigan to join us in our winter wonderland (It's not Indiana after all), and in your honour I made a punk-snowman in the snow yesterday, I call him Joey Strummer.

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Harmonie

Lol. Aw thanks! I don't think I've made as snowman since I was a kid!

(In terms of the username, I discovered it while reading a history book on the bassoon, and I was ecstatic! Perhaps it's usually referred to as Harmonie Musik... but I saw it referred to as 'Harmonie' alone, too, so I took that)

Hm... The picture of that tree makes me think of how excited I was this time last year when we got some Norway Spruces put in our backyard. I was thinking "I can't wait to see them with snow!"

A whole year later, I still haven't seen them with snow... Well, a tiny bit. I took a picture of the extent of snow I saw on it all winter.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Totally stepped on dog poop taking that picture, too!

Speaking of dogs, funny story that might slightly fit into this topic? Probably not, but it happened while I was making this post so I'm posting it! One of our dogs loves to stick his face and back up under curtains, sheets, etc. Anyway, recently he's started coming in my room... While I was posting this he comes up to me sitting at my chair and decides he wants to do that to my dress! :blush:

Not too grumpy about it, just laughed and told him to stop. Now he's relaxing... Finally! That dog was restless for about 30 minutes!

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Icarus

In the process of re-modeling my house, we are having hardwood flooring installed.  The person who is doing the work turned out to be a part time preacher.  Today he found it necessary to play loud music. The all day music was of the Christian variety that all sounds like the same strained music but with different words for each song (torture).  What else would a preacher play?  That made me unusually grumpy. He is coming back tomorrow, hopefully to finish the job. I'm not looking forward to another day of that noise.

I just noticed that I have written eight sentences and have not used the words; asshole, Fuckin' dipshit, or any other profane utterance.  Little does he know that he is working on the home of a thinking person who would be pleased to strangle him after I explain that his Jesus fantasy is (here I quote Hitchins) "bullshit". In his defense, he is doing a good job on the flooring so I am obliged to have the job finished before I further contemplate his demise.

Firebird

It would be really nice if my fucking backup could actually back me up, rather than bitching about how hard something is, forcing me to log into work late and point out his problem in 1 minute. I just took over and told him to sign off, even though it was after 10:00.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Guardian85

I was having a very pleasant dream about a girl I like. All well and good, and not the start of the sort of story you would hear in the "grumpy thread". But it gets better.
In my dream I found myself laying next to her. As one does in such pleasant situations, I rolled over for a cuddle. As the dreaming version of me performed this motion it was mimicked by my real life self. The unenviable result of this motion was to cause me to roll clean out of bed. Banged my head on the nightstand on the way down.
Pine on skull while in free fall. Officially my least favorite way to wake up.  :d'oh!:

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Buddy

Ouch.

I had a dream that I wrecked Charlie. It was awful.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Guardian85

Quote from: Budhorse4 on March 09, 2016, 04:31:21 PM
Ouch.

Probably some sort of prophetic dream.  :P

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Buddy

Quote from: Guardian85 on March 09, 2016, 08:56:22 PM
Quote from: Budhorse4 on March 09, 2016, 04:31:21 PM
Ouch.

Probably some sort of prophetic dream.  :P

Don't say that! I had dreams of wrecking the Mazda for months before it happened.  :'(
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

xSilverPhinx

I feel like rambling on about something - anything -  but nobody's here.  :blahblah:

I guess the question of the day is: if I ramble on and there's no one to hear it, did it happen? :tellmemore:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 10, 2016, 11:45:01 AM
I feel like rambling on about something - anything -  but nobody's here.  :blahblah:

I guess the question of the day is: if I ramble on and there's no one to hear it, did it happen? :tellmemore:

We heed a Rambling Thread for just that thing...a place you can just write some shit, any-shit...and no one is allowed to directly reply to it.
Unless of course someone posts something personal and derogatory about another Haffer...for example if JJ were to post something along the lines of, "You know, that Sir Bruno is a total fucking dickhead..." that would probably warrant a response. (Sure there would probably be quite a chorus of those in agreement, but...)

Anyway, that's that.

The world is gray, and cold, and dying.

I have memories of sitting in a large den of tall ferns, surround by cedar trees, with a warm mist filtering out the sun light, and for the brief moment I was there it was as if no one else had ever before sat in this wonderful, peaceful spot.

Reminds me of this passage in the "Red Badge of Courage", after Henry runs away from the horrors of the battlefield and finds himself in a particularly tranquil spot in the woods:

At length he reached a place where the high, arching boughs made a chapel. He softly pushed the green doors aside and entered. Pine needles were a gentle brown carpet. There was a religious half light

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Pasta Chick

Did the "PC is rip shit fucking pissed" thread ever actually happen?

Because PC is rip shit fucking pissed.