News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

The grumpy stuff..........Peoplewhotalksofastthattheirconversationisalmostunintelligible.  There are some folks who talk so goddamned fast that it is difficult to understand what they are attempting to convey.  Those people seem to have a notion that they must talk so fast that they fear the world is coming to an end.  That may be a form of exhibitionism or simply a failure to understand the basic rules of communication with we less spectacular humans.

I listen to NPR radio frequently. There are some prestigious women who are interviewed.  It seems that women are more prone to this distracting, nay annoying, psuedo skill.  Not that there are men who do not use the same method to piss off we mortals of less than instantaneous understanding.

One more thing that is more common to women.  They use affectation in the form of raising their voice frequency at the end of a sentence. In the southern languages, raising voice frequency at the end of a sentence is a sort of implied interrogative. I can live with that but it is annoying.  Just tell me what you have to say without the intonations.

Assholes are some of the more likely to use the rapid speech method to hopefully impress or influence the listener.  Jim Jordan, the representative from Ohio comes to mind. Not all fast talkers are assholes but they do need some advice.

I can process the meaning, if there is one, of a conversation within reasonable limits of haste.

Please ! all you people who believe that you rapid speech  is an asset, give me and most of our ordinary humans a break.  That skill is not an asset.  It is a damned curse.   

No one

billy rubin

there is a woman radio journalist in ohio who speaks so rapidly that i cannot follow her speech some of the time. when sheshares a broadcast with somone else she becomes much worse.

its interesting where else this shows up. television advertizing is one. i cant follow it. if you pull out a watch a time a commercial, you sometimes see 50 separate camera cuts in one minute. the images come so fast tbat i cannot process them. ive been without television sets in my life for about thirty years now and the mediumhas left me behind.

fun test: turn on a prime time station and count how long it takes before you are shown someone being killed. not very long.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Asmodean

Where better to bring The Asmo back than this thread, I wonder?

So let's see... Reasons to be grumpy. Yes. At this point, it would be easier to list them reasons not to, buuut...

Electricity over here is pretty much as expensive as diesel. I blame electric car owners for always charging their electric cars, driving the demand up. Also Putin.

My stock options are not so much in the toilet as all the way at the waste treatment station at this point. I blame the economy. Way too twitchy and scared of rampant inflation and pandemics. I also blame like... Putin.

There be a war in Europe. Objectively speaking, plenty of blame to go around there. Still, who provoked whom and what promises were made, but broken is kinda secondary to a single nation disrespecting its neighbour's right of self-determination to the point of invasion so... Yeah. Putin.

I had to buy a new turbocharger for The Flying Deutschmann. I blame the old turbo for failing on me, leaving me with like 50bhp in a 50 million ton car, although there might be a way to pin that too on good old Putin... Hmm... :headscratch:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

i just wrote an intelligent and cogent post on political science, insightful and of great significance. tben i pressed post, and was told that the last post from my IP address was less than five minutes before.

then the software deleted my submissoon.

this pissed me off so i am afraid all of you are going to have to miss out on my mornings wisdom while i sulk

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tom62

Quote from: billy rubin on April 28, 2022, 01:20:47 PMi just wrote an intelligent and cogent post on political science, insightful and of great significance. tben i pressed post, and was told that the last post from my IP address was less than five minutes before.

then the software deleted my submissoon.

this pissed me off so i am afraid all of you are going to have to miss out on my mornings wisdom while i sulk

That must definitively be a Trojan Horse installed by Biden's new Disinformation Board
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Buddy

Back to work after putting my cat to sleep yesterday. I have absolutely zero motivation and couldn't care less about actually getting anything done.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Dark Lightning

Ouch. Sorry to see this.  :console: It's always tough to lose our little friends.

Recusant

Quote from: Buddy on April 29, 2022, 03:43:02 PMBack to work after putting my cat to sleep yesterday. I have absolutely zero motivation and couldn't care less about actually getting anything done.

My condolences. Have been through that neighborhood before, and no doubt will be again.  :blue tear:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Ecurb Noselrub

billy rubin

my next door neighbor just auctioned his 151 acres. went for US$1,011,000.

it was a great auction, barnfuls of junk and tools, bulldozers, trucks, hay equipment,  a trackhoe, three or four tractors and so on.

a pile of about 75 railroad ties went for ten bucks, the only thing i was interested in. but i had made a point of not getting a bidders number, to avoid temptation. i might have bought the railroad jack that went for $4.50, even though i dont have a derailed railroad car to get back on the tracks.

the buyers were some local people who want to run cattle and horses. good deal, as it keeps the settlers out and the land prices low. we had some amish, but they werent after the land. land has gone through the roof out here.

Anne D.

What would you have used the railroad ties for?

hermes2015

Oh, I love those ties. They can be used in many interesting ways.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

we put the railroad ties on the ground to line out vegetable and flower beds, and also to make decks in front of the separate one-room cottages we built as the kids got older (cheaper than adding bedrooms on to the house).

plus, we use them as a foundation under the outhouse to keep it from tipping into the hole. if id bought them i would have layed some on top of the over-large hole i last dug to maintain a more pristine view. as it is, the bathroom is just perched on top of four crossties like a one-holer treehouse.

i really should have bought them, but its too pretty a day to worry about that.

Anne D.

Very cool to hear about all the different uses. I'm not at all handy or particularly creative, so I'm always interested to hear how other people repurpose stuff.