News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Should we talk about the weather?

Started by Eric V Arachnid, December 28, 2014, 12:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magdalena

^^^
No, thank you.

It's gonna be cold tomorrow, 36° F!
This is LA! 
It shouldn't be this cold! :worried:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

billy rubin

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Magdalena on February 24, 2022, 05:48:44 AM
^^^
No, thank you.

This is LA! 

Mags, OMG...do you think you'll survive? 36 degrees OMG, and that looks like almost half an inch on the ground, my god how will you be able to walk or drive anywhere? :P

Mags,

Years ago my sister-in-law visited us from Honduras during the winter here in Michigan. We gave her warm clothing, jackets, hats, gloves, scarves. One evening we went out to a restaurant, after we finished eating we went out to the car to drive home. It was cold that evening, maybe 5-10 degrees F.
We are in the car, and I'm letting it heat up before we drive home...this car didn't have remote start so we have to sit there in the cold for a bit before I can drive away. Next thing I know my sister-in-law says something to my wife in Spanish, and then jumps out of the car and runs back into the restaraunt. I turn to my wife, and ask her if she had to go to the bathroom, and my wife laughs, and say's her sister felt as if she was about to actually die from the cold and went back inside before she froze to death!

We both laughed, and then once the car warmed up picked her up.

Another time my brother-in-law is visiting from Honduras with his family. We are fixing them a nice dinner, and so I'm out side grilling some food on the barbecue. It's winter, but not that bad out, maybe around mid 40's. I'm outside in shorts, but I also have on a warm sweatshirt. I'm at the grill with a beer, and my brother-in-law joins me. His name is Muncho. He also has a beer, and is standing next to me in jeans, and long-sleeve shirt. After around 10 minutes he drops his beer and runs inside, saying he can't stand the cold anymore...when I come in to check on the little baby he is standing at the stove with his arms spread out trying to get warm. Muncho said he wanted to show me he could stand the cold just like me, especially as I was wearing shorts, but he couldn't do it....later he jokingly told me he felt like he let me down, and wasn't a man!

Another time he came outside when we had a big snow storm, and he and his two young kids were helping me shovel, and build a snowman, but he again couldn't take it, and went inside way before both of his kids did.

We have a bunch of winter clothes that we have saved over the years for her Honduran family. One of her relatives, is the worse though. We literally have to wrap him up before going outside so only his eyes show, and then he'll run to the car (Which has to be warmed up before hand)
When we get home he'll just sit in a chair with his jacket, hat, scarves and gloves on for at least 30 minutes until he's warm enough to start to remove some clothing....we have a spare bedroom in our basement, but he complains it's too cold to sleep down there. His wife and children always manage though, and we give then mountains of blankets and comforters. I even have a set of thick winter pajamas I keep just for him...so now if they visit (Even in summer) we just let him and his wife sleep in our room.

His name is Tirsio, I call him Bebe Tirsio 8)

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Magdalena

Quote from: Papasito Bruno on February 24, 2022, 03:25:27 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on February 24, 2022, 05:48:44 AM
^^^
No, thank you.

This is LA! 

Mags, OMG...do you think you'll survive? 36 degrees OMG, and that looks like almost half an inch on the ground, my god how will you be able to walk or drive anywhere? :P

Mags,

Years ago my sister-in-law visited us from Honduras during the winter here in Michigan. We gave her warm clothing, jackets, hats, gloves, scarves. One evening we went out to a restaurant, after we finished eating we went out to the car to drive home. It was cold that evening, maybe 5-10 degrees F.
We are in the car, and I'm letting it heat up before we drive home...this car didn't have remote start so we have to sit there in the cold for a bit before I can drive away. Next thing I know my sister-in-law says something to my wife in Spanish, and then jumps out of the car and runs back into the restaraunt. I turn to my wife, and ask her if she had to go to the bathroom, and my wife laughs, and say's her sister felt as if she was about to actually die from the cold and went back inside before she froze to death!

We both laughed, and then once the car warmed up picked her up.

Another time my brother-in-law is visiting from Honduras with his family. We are fixing them a nice dinner, and so I'm out side grilling some food on the barbecue. It's winter, but not that bad out, maybe around mid '40s. I'm outside in shorts, but I also have on a warm sweatshirt. I'm at the grill with a beer, and my brother-in-law joins me. His name is Muncho. He also has a beer, and is standing next to me in jeans, and long-sleeve shirt. After around 10 minutes he drops his beer and runs inside, saying he can't stand the cold anymore...when I come in to check on the little baby he is standing at the stove with his arms spread out trying to get warm. Muncho said he wanted to show me he could stand the cold just like me, especially as I was wearing shorts, but he couldn't do it....later he jokingly told me he felt like he let me down, and wasn't a man!

Another time he came outside when we had a big snow storm, and he and his two young kids were helping me shovel, and build a snowman, but he again couldn't take it, and went inside way before both of his kids did.

We have a bunch of winter clothes that we have saved over the years for her Honduran family. One of her relatives, is the worse though. We literally have to wrap him up before going outside so only his eyes show, and then he'll run to the car (Which has to be warmed up beforehand)
When we get home he'll just sit in a chair with his jacket, hat, scarves and gloves on for at least 30 minutes until he's warm enough to start to remove some clothing....we have a spare bedroom in our basement, but he complains it's too cold to sleep down there. His wife and children always manage though, and we give then mountains of blankets and comforters. I even have a set of thick winter pajamas I keep just for him...so now if they visit (Even in summer) we just let him and his wife sleep in our room.

His name is Tirsio, I call him Bebe Tirsio 8)

Those are great stories!  :lol:

I think the only "luxury" that I'm willing to pay for is --living in a place where it's always sunny and doesn't snow.  :notsure:

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Magdalena on February 24, 2022, 06:31:50 PM
[

I think the only "luxury" that I'm willing to pay for is --living in a place where it's always sunny and doesn't snow.  :notsure:

Have you tried Philadelphia? :jaded rimshot:

Tirsio's wife from my story below is actually my wife's niece, but her and my wife are only like 10 years apart, and they grew up literally next door to each other, her and my wife act more like sisters.

Her name is Martha, and they have two kids whom I adore, and who refer to me as Tio Bruno! 8) Cuz I'm cool bro! 8)

They have spent a lot of time with us here in Michigan, and have visited us during each of the four seasons.We've taken to all of the Great Lakes, and they simply love Michigan. Tirsio and Martha have considered moving to the US (She's an Agricultural engineer and he's an Industrial Engineer)
Martha and the kids said they would love to move here to Michigan, but Tirsio say's he doesn't think he could handle the winters. He hates the cold that much...even though the rest of the year here he loves it... spring, summer and especially the fall. He adores the fall here as surprisingly he hates the heat and the sun as well even though he is from Honduras (Go figure), but not as much as he hates the cold. He's driven in the snow while here, and can't stand that aspect of it either.

So if they were to move here they would only do so somewhere warm...so please give me your address Mags, and I'll forward it onto Martha y Tirsio ::)

Magdalena

Quote from: Papasito Bruno on February 24, 2022, 08:25:57 PM
[

:jaded rimshot:

Tirsio's wife from my story below is actually my wife's niece, but her and my wife are only like 10 years apart, and they grew up literally next door to each other, her and my wife act more like sisters.

Her name is Martha, and they have two kids whom I adore, and who refer to me as Tio Bruno! 8) Cuz I'm cool bro! 8)

They have spent a lot of time with us here in Michigan, and have visited us during each of the four seasons.We've taken to all of the Great Lakes, and they simply love Michigan. Tirsio and Martha have considered moving to the US (She's an Agricultural engineer and he's an Industrial Engineer)
Martha and the kids said they would love to move here to Michigan, but Tirsio say's he doesn't think he could handle the winters. He hates the cold that much...even though the rest of the year here he loves it... spring, summer and especially the fall. He adores the fall here as surprisingly he hates the heat and the sun as well even though he is from Honduras (Go figure), but not as much as he hates the cold. He's driven in the snow while here, and can't stand that aspect of it either.

So if they were to move here they would only do so somewhere warm...so please give me your address Mags, and I'll forward it onto Martha y Tirsio ::)
Sure!
31 Lammas Street, Great Corby
CA4 9EL
Phone #  070 0197 4364
Or
213-867-5309
:grin:

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Magdalena on February 24, 2022, 09:58:06 PM
[

:jaded rimshot:

Sure!
31 Lammas Street, Great Corby
CA4 9EL
Phone #  070 0197 4364
Or
213-867-5309
:grin:

Wait, that's my address in the UK?

I see what you did here, that was genius Mags, genius.... :not worthy:

billy rubin

well, it's springtime in tornado alley. . .

don't often get such a good video of a tornado, as its usually raining cats and dogs ortoo dark.

this was yesterday. apparently no immediate reports of injuries.

ive lived west of wichita a bit, and south of it too. where i grew up all the old houses had a storm cellar in the back yard, a dug out with steps that led down into a place where you could shelter from stuff like this. there were no warnings back then. when the clouds started gathering you just posted people outside to watch th esky and slept underground. these days people rely too much on televised warnings and less on simply preparing a place to escape. in my opinion.

i really dont know how to analyze it, but i loved growing up in the middle of all this. the visitations of this much power, especially of such an arbitrary and capricious nature, held an immense attraction for me. still does. if i could afford it, id move right back into tornado alley in a heartbeat.

lots of people claim they had a tornado when the wind blows the lawn furniture over in their back yard. this is what a real one looks like.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Asmodean

It's all dry and forest-fiery where I live. The main issue at this point though, is that we absolutely insist on producing our electricity from unreliable sources like wind and rain, which... Yeah, fair enough in a comparatively sparsely populated nation, as long as half the population don't spend their evenings charging EV battery packs. We also export a fair share of electricity abroad, from what I understand. In any case, it costs pretty much the same to stay hooked up to the grid these days as it would to get a diesel-powered generator and feed it refined dinosaur goo.

Obviously, all the predictable people (Who also tend to own them abovementioned EVs) screech about climate change and how it's all muh diesel engine and meat-eating ways' fault, but then they are the very same people who absolutely refuse me to erect a massive nuclear power plant out back somewhere.

If by this point it sounds like this rant is more about environ-mentalists than weather... Well, that would be correct. I want a machine with which to squeeze them for juices with which to water my lawn. Not really-really, but a little bit. Like, maybe just one or two.  :rant1:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

the other day. it was just a thunderstorm, but everybody hollers "tornado!" these days

Buddy

Yikes. I guess they'd rather err on the side of caution. Glad there wasn't actually a tornado
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

billy rubin

it wS ohio.

you dont get real tornados in ohio hatdly ever

but ohio used to be the cumulonimbus capitol of north america  it was famous for its thunderstorms. not so much anymore

i was dumping bees once about 15 years ago, 200 two-pound packages at sunset. took a couple of hours . tbe whole time i was ringed with lightning storms . for two hours tbere was so much lightning that tbere was no time longer than a few seconds when tbere were not strikes visible somewhere around me in 360 degrees.

Asmodean

...And now it's raining. All wet and miserable and somehow prolly still my fault for enjoying dead animals as food and fuel.  :rant1:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Anne D.

Torrential downpours in my part of the U.S. last night. Minor flooding in our basement and a fun new leak upstairs  :(