News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Ecurb's travels

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, November 27, 2019, 01:08:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

The Very Good:  I don't want to leave you with the wrong impression of Mexico City. Come and see it. Get vaccinated, put on a mask, drink bottled water, and come have a good time. The Gran Hotel de la Ciudad de Mexico is fantastic, an oasis of calm and beauty in the midst of the hustle and bustle of human endeavors in the Zocalo. Did you see the opening scenes of the Bond movie "Spectre"? It was filmed at the Zocalo and the Gran Hotel. The roof-top restaurant Terraza is excellent. You can eat good food, drink good wine, enjoy open air dining, and watch the madness of the Zocalo 50 feet below. You will meet wonderful people, see interesting sights, experience a warm and passionate culture, see the chaos and charm of people getting it on with life. I give it my highest recommendation. 

I have been many times to Mexico, but always a border town or near a border town, or a resort like Cancun. You cannot evaluate a nation based on those experiences.  Now, I have a better perspective on the country, a greater appreciation for its soul. The land of Mariachis, the birthplace of tequila (the country should get an A+ just for this alone), a country that laughs in the face of death by celebrating it with painted skulls, how can you not love it?  I leave you with happy face for these trying times.

Viva Mexico!!

billy rubin

^^^this is why i read your posts.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

how can you drink tequila but not mezcal?

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Ecurb Noselrub

Mezcal is stuff that got kicked out of Tequila School. 

Icarus

Ecurb's travelogues are marvelous.  Thanks EN

Recusant

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Ecurb Noselrub

As a result of this trip I started reading more on Meso-American civilizations. Fascinating. I also learned about the Columbian Transfer - what the Old and the New World got from each other.  They gave Europe chocolate, coffee, tomatoes, maize, avocados, etc. The Old World gave the New World horses and smallpox, wiping out at least 80% of them. I think the Old World came out ahead on that one.

billy rubin

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on January 01, 2022, 12:59:24 AM
As a result of this trip I started reading more on Meso-American civilizations. Fascinating. I also learned about the Columbian Transfer - what the Old and the New World got from each other.  They gave Europe chocolate, coffee, tomatoes, maize, avocados, etc. The Old World gave the New World horses and smallpox, wiping out at least 80% of them. I think the Old World came out ahead on that one.

Mustn't forget syphilis, acquired from sheep, hitherto unknown in the "new world".

Tank

Potatoes, never forget potatoes!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Ecurb Noselrub

Ah, yes, another wonderful transaction - we give you potatoes, you give us syphilis. What a deal!

And billy, thanks for mentioning the pre-historic north-south transfer.

billy rubin

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on January 01, 2022, 02:59:41 PM
Ah, yes, another wonderful transaction - we give you potatoes, you give us syphilis. What a deal!

And billy, thanks for mentioning the pre-historic north-south transfer.

it wasnt a human one, but its a parallel to what you are talking about. its still going on. nine banded armadillos crossed into texas from the south somewhere around 1900, iirc, and by 1960 they had made it as far north as kansas, where i recall my father pulling one out of the garbage can in the alley. that armadillo would have been a pioneer, at the leading edge.

the virginia opossum only made it across panama less than million years ago. its ears get frozen off up in michigan these days, so its probably as far up as it going to go.. and stuff has been going south, like the north american puma.

biogeography is really interesting, but i want to hear more about mexico

Icarus

I continue to learn from my friends at HAF.

To damned bad that we are so few.