News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

farm stuff, any farm stuff. food growing or cash c r opping

Started by billy rubin, August 23, 2021, 12:57:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magdalena

Quote from: billy rubin on August 25, 2021, 12:42:41 AM
well, regarding animal matter this might seem odd but i am from oklahoma after all and i can attest that burning cow chips have an absolutely wonderful fragrance. like old fruity pipe tobacco

my beeyards were all in cattle ranches anf i burned cow shit in my smoker all the time
I don't know, man.
I think I'll pass on that grass.
:shifty:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Icarus

When I was a wee tad some 85 years ago it was during the great depression of the 30s.  I lived on a tobacco farm in Georgia. A matter of necessity, even survival.

One of the elements of the farm endeavor was to smoke the tobacco............No, not with cigarettes or chewing tobacco. There was a small building that had long poles from end to end.  The tobacco leaves were spread over the top of the horizontal poles.  Some sort of smoking fire was built on the dirt floor. The little shed was closed and the process began.

At the local tobacco auction, the buyers would sniff or taste the smoked tobacco.  If their judgement was that one batch was better than another they would bid on that batch. But that was in the distant past.........Aaaah nostalgia.

Ecurb Noselrub

Back when you could safely cross the border into Mexico, my parents took me to the market in Nuevo Laredo. I think I was about 9.  There I saw "horse-shit cigarettes". It was written in English, so I guess there was some market for it, if for nothing else than novelty, with Americans. I knew that I wasn't supposed to say that word, but my dad chuckled when he saw it. I admire someone who tried that for the first time. Smelling burning horse or cow shit is one thing, but drawing it deep into your lungs takes a real courageous person.

billy rubin

have you ever eaten haggis?

i consider that equivalent.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: billy rubin on August 25, 2021, 04:03:47 PM
have you ever eaten haggis?

i consider that equivalent.

It's nasty.  I saw a haggis eating contest at a Renaissance Fair once - it made me gag just looking at it. You have to be desperate to come up with something like that.

billy rubin

its illegal in america. it least the trafitional recipe is.

violates too many health codes

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Ecurb Noselrub

I guess in a Renaissance Fair it's allowed. But that is more like England than America.

Would you like some sheep guts with your oatmeal, sir?

billy rubin

gah

Method

Rinse the whole pluck in cold water. Trim off any large pieces of fat and cut away the windpipe
Place in a good sized pot and cover with cold water. The lungs float, so keep submerged with a plate or a lid. Bring to the boil and skim the surface regularly. Gently simmer for 2 hours
Lift the meat from the pot with tongs or a slotted spoon, and rinse in cold water to remove any scum. Place into a bowl and leave to cool

theres more of ^^^this

https://www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipes/traditional-haggis-recipe

Magdalena

Quote from: billy rubin on August 26, 2021, 12:46:45 AM
gah

Method

Rinse the whole pluck in cold water. Trim off any large pieces of fat and cut away the windpipe
Place in a good-sized pot and cover with cold water. The lungs float, so keep submerged with a plate or a lid. Bring to the boil and skim the surface regularly. Gently simmer for 2 hours
Lift the meat from the pot with tongs or a slotted spoon, and rinse in cold water to remove any scum. Place into a bowl and leave to cool

there's more of ^^^this

https://www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipes/traditional-haggis-recipe

I've had kidneys, but I haven't had lungs, yet.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

No one

billy rubin

native hazelnuts. went and picked yesterday. a bit late, but we were all busy

weve got some 15 acres of flat ground with a southern exposure, and we can put a lot of it in hazelnuts. these are smallet than the commercial hybrid varieties, but they require zero care beyond making the microenvironment favourable.

we can sell these right now over the net for atound US$12 per pound, and we re looking at significant income from this and other micro enterprises

^^^these were picked off the bushes along about 30 feet of roadside. with flatter ground and thicker plantings we can do much better

billy rubin

seed chestnuts.

chestnuts were destryed in america 100 years sgo. there was a blight, and they cut down all the blighted trees and then all the others too just in case they were blighted.

so there eere almost no survivors of a tree that made up something like 25 percent of all american forests.

we re growing these, a variety of mongrel origin that is blightvresistant and edible.

first crop in five years, full production in fifteen. ill be 80 years old so if we cant sell em ill be eating em all

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

they were dense

the saying in america was that a squirrel could jump from cjestnut to chestnut all the way from mississippi in the south to maine in the north

there are still living stumps that put out new growth but the blight kills them after about 20 years

Bad Penny II

QuoteUnder the spreading chestnut tree
I sold you and you sold me:
There lie they, and here lie we
Under the spreading chestnut tree
Take my advice, don't listen to me.