News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

animals in your life

Started by billy rubin, April 23, 2020, 01:04:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

with crawdads thats the part you eat

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Icarus

There is a small industry that use crickets for human consumption.  Crickets are claimed to be a nutritious food.  of course witchity grubs are also nutritious.  Bluenose will be able to advise us about that claim.  Not that he eats them, but that he is our resident authority on Aussie stuff. 

I do like DLs solution for dispatching the giant grasshoppers. Incidentally they do not appear to hop.  I see them climbing walls more often than not. 

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Icarus on August 16, 2021, 12:21:33 AM
There is a small industry that use crickets for human consumption.  Crickets are claimed to be a nutritious food.  of course witchity grubs are also nutritious.  Bluenose will be able to advise us about that claim.  Not that he eats them, but that he is our resident authority on Aussie stuff. 

I do like DLs solution for dispatching the giant grasshoppers. Incidentally they do not appear to hop.  I see them climbing walls more often than not.

;D Nothing like a little fire to brighten up a paraphiliac's day! Just wear protection, you don't want any chitin embedded in you.  :o

billy rubin

excuse me, but you have just said a weird thing.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Dark Lightning

Quote from: billy rubin on August 16, 2021, 01:53:20 AM
excuse me, but you have just said a weird thing.

Easy explanation. If one sets an arthropod on fire, it can explode, under the "right" conditions. The parts of it can cause damage to other beings. Example- one of my cousins served in the US Air Force. One of his buddies demonstrated how a black widow spider would explode, if exposed to an oxyacetylene torch flame. They were in Texas, but I can assure you that those things grow every bit as large, here in California. When the guy torched the spider, it exploded, as could be expected from a thing with a "hard" shell suddenly exposed to high temperature. Parts of the spider hit that guy in one eye at high velocity. Notwithstanding the potential for venom in the debris, the shards could (and did) easily blind a person. In this case, in only one eye. Edge of the envelope for weird.

billy rubin

i actually was referring to the "paraphilia" part

QuoteParaphilic disorders are recurrent, intense, sexually arousing fantasies, urges, or behaviors that are distressing or disabling and that involve inanimate objects, children or nonconsenting adults, or suffering or humiliation of oneself or the partner with the potential to cause harm.

^^^this was a new word for me

Dark Lightning

My bad. I meant pyrophiliac.

Pyrophilia is a relatively uncommon paraphilia in which a subject derives gratification from fire and fire-starting activity. It is distinguished from pyromania by the gratification being of a sexual nature. It is also not destructive, per se.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Dark Lightning on August 16, 2021, 06:36:49 PM
My bad. I meant pyrophiliac.

Pyrophilia is a relatively uncommon paraphilia in which a subject derives gratification from fire and fire-starting activity. It is distinguished from pyromania by the gratification being of a sexual nature. It is also not destructive, per se.

Freudian slip.  Either way, fire of some kind is involved.

billy rubin

i am still dubious about all of this and icarus's grasshoppers, i have to say

Icarus

My vocabulary is expanding thanks to the help from DL Recusant and others. Paraphilia, pyrophilia, etc. 

I have read of disturbed persons who derive sexual gratification for inflicting cruel pain on another person, usually of the opposite sex........................And now back to grasshoppers.

My grasshoppers are indeed very large.  They have rather interesting colors, like yellow, orange, and some green and black.  To dispatch them I prefer the use of a one by four or other handy club. They are durable creatures. You have to smack them with some strength to effectively dispatch them.  They are slow movers so smacking them is not difficult.

billy rubin

i am such a sap. i piss and moan about all these cats everywhere. this year is a high point. generally they stay outside and run and in the fall and winter the coyotes graze on them to keep themselves going.

but this year the little bastards are social. i come downstairs and ten kittens look up at me from the kitchen floor. i make coffee and sit down, and the smallest ones walk up to me and climb into my lap and go to sleep. two at a time.

all they want is somewhere secure to settle down.

this presents a great philosophical problem for me, because if i let the cats continue to multiply, we will soon generate a malthusian excess of feline biomass. as if we were not already there.

i am writing this with a small trusting kitten nestled in the crevice between my crossed lower legs at the dining room table. i can't move without disturbing it.

thank god i didn't end up with boa constrictors.

did i mention that we have yet another litter? i chased her out of the dining room and she popped them under the front porch.

i am a fool.

billy rubin

had an issue with one of them with an eye infection--swelling of a suborbital sinus and the eyelids were stuck closed with dried mucous every morning.

i tried opening the lids with warm water and a ball of cotton, and then swabbing with a topical antibiotic. that worked a little, but not well. i finally discovered that there were TWO identical kittens with the problem and that was one reason i couldn't seem to get consistent results.

anyway the other day i switched to an athlete's foot fungus cream and the apparent infection went away. both kittens are looking good.

i remember horror stories of coccidiosis from the southwest deserts not so long ago, so i am glad they are improving. having your brain penerteted by fungal filaments is not a good way to go.

Icarus

Billy, you are a man for whom the christian God would approve. I join Jehovah, or whatever his name is, in respecting your  compassion for lesser animals. 

hermes2015

Quote from: Icarus on August 18, 2021, 04:19:20 AM
Billy, you are a man for whom the christian God would approve. I join Jehovah, or whatever his name is, in respecting your  compassion for lesser animals.

I second that.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

well i confess my compassion gets spread pretty thin around here