News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

My Fashion Heroes

Started by hermes2015, August 25, 2023, 06:09:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

It may come as a surprise (but then, maybe not) that I have always taken a keen interest in the world of fashion. Probably not surprisingly, my two big heroes are Issey Miyake and Rick Owens. Here is a video on Miyake, whose fragrance I've been using constantly for 30 years.

I love him for his sculptural designs.

Rick Owens is a deeply cultured and sharply intelligent guy. I like the way he speaks articulately about his design philosophy and his approach to learning the skills he needs to express himself.

Both of them are way beyond the typical chase after annual novelty, superficiality, and profits many of us associate with the fashion industry.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Asmodean

Well, this is certainly a new and unexpected facet of you - at least to me. Cool! :smilenod:

Yes, Owens does seem like an interesting character with some worthwhile stories to tell. I haven't checked out Miyake yet, but I shall.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

hermes2015

Quote from: Asmodean on August 25, 2023, 07:16:34 AMWell, this is certainly a new and unexpected facet of you - at least to me. Cool! :smilenod:

Yes, Owens does seem like an interesting character with some worthwhile stories to tell. I haven't checked out Miyake yet, but I shall.

I'm guessing that it may be connected with something in my personality profile that attracts me to subjects that deal with form and spatial concerns. Hence my interest in architecture and sculpture, and of course was probably the main reason I became a professional organic chemist. Organic chemistry is really only architecture at the molecular scale.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames