News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

When did "liberal" become a four-letter word?

Started by curiosityandthecat, November 12, 2008, 12:19:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

curiosityandthecat

Honestly.

Is it defensiveness from conservatives or other right-of-center folks who know, at the end of it all, progressive liberalism always wins out? I just don't get it. Please enlighten me.
-Curio

rlrose328

The conservatives use words to their advantage because so many of the people they appeal to are, quite frankly, idiots.  They know they can manipulate words to make those people believe anything they want them to believe.  "Pro-abortion" is a common one as well.  Liberal media, liberal voters, liberal abortionionists, liberal evolutionists.  It's all words.

Let's compile a list of words the conservatives have manipulated for the masses.
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

Whitney

If someone says something bad about liberals I ask them, rhetorically, if it is wrong to care about the welfare of the masses.

Asmodean

I (and "we") have been called Environmental Disaster a couple of times... What's wrong with burning coal and drowning polar bears anyways?!  :unsure:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Kyuuketsuki

I'd consider myself liberal but I do have to say that (what I refer to as) bleeding heart liberals really f*** me off!

Other than that, as a centre left hawk, conservatism is a dirty word in my book.

Kyu
James C. Rocks: UK Tech Portal & Science, Just Science

[size=150]Not Long For This Forum [/size]

Shard

Liberal became a four letter word after it was devowelled by the GOP: Lbrl.  This also accurately reflects the correct pronounciation for the republicans, preferably prefixed by the word 'stnkn'.
And pray that there’s intelligent life somewhere up in space
Because there’s bugger all down here on Earth!

DennisK

Whenever and however it was done, it was a deliberate plan by the GOP.  I'll give them credit.  It was and is effective.  Here in the south, it is definitely a 4 letter word.  Although, Obama won NC.  That's amazing!
"If you take a highly intelligent person and give them the best possible, elite education, then you will most likely wind up with an academic who is completely impervious to reality." -Halton Arp

BuckAv

I have a conservative coworker who spent the whole election complaining about the "damn libs" and then threw a fit when he heard someone use the term "neocon". Gives it out but can't take it.

Will

It's only a negative if you allow those using it to go unanswered.

Lincoln, the greatest Republican in history, was a liberal. Liberals freed the slaves. Liberals fought for the right of women and minorities to vote. Liberals are responsible for every forward movement in society. To me, liberal means progressive, ahead of the curve, advanced, and yes even a bit more evolved, from a social perspective.

If you really, really want to nip it in the bud, remind the person what conservative really means: small government, soverignty, strong belief in the Constitution and Bill of Rights, traditional values and principles. None of these are present in the Republican party in 2008. The GOP hasn't been conservative since Ike.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Kylyssa

Quote from: "Willravel"If you really, really want to nip it in the bud, remind the person what conservative really means: small government, sovereignty, strong belief in the Constitution and Bill of Rights, traditional values and principles. None of these are present in the Republican party in 2008. The GOP hasn't been conservative since Ike.

Well said!

Sophus

This is obviously an old thread but since it's back in the light...

[youtube:3d18o2d2]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTFp7WG9J-E[/youtube:3d18o2d2]
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Will

I miss that show even more than I miss Firefly and Arrested Development. And that's saying something.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

ForTheLoveOfAll

The word liberal has been bashed down and made into something evil by the Neo-Conservatives, just like alot of other things. Most people in America with their susceptible minds and willingness to believe whatever the tube says, have been fed a steady diet of the Bible, and Fox News. I dare you to watch Fox News for longer than 15 minutes and not see something pro-Christian and anti-Liberal.

What alot of Christians fail to see is that Jesus himself was a liberal.
A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism.
-Carl Sagan

I loved when Bush came out and said, "We are losing the war against drugs." You know what that implies? There's a war being fought, and the people on drugs are winning it.
- Bill Hicks