News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Memory: How the brain constructs dreams

Started by xSilverPhinx, June 28, 2020, 10:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

This might be of interest to some. :grin:

Abstract: Deep inside the temporal lobe of the brain, the hippocampus has a central role in our ability to remember, imagine and dream.

Memory: How the brain constructs dreams | eLife

If anyone would like to delve deeper: Dreaming with hippocampal damage | eLife

Sweet dreams.   :offtobed:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

No one

Are made of this, who am I to disagree.

xSilverPhinx

I've traveled the world and the seven seas
Everybody's looking for something

:daddance:

Dark Lightning

Lookin' for Mr Goodbar? Well, here he is!

No one

xSilverPhinx

Dark Lightning

Randy

And here I thought having too much pastrami on a Dagwood sandwich caused weird dreams.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

No one

Pastrami causes nightmares involving vampires, everyone knows that. Sheesh!

Recusant

Very cool story about the magic seahorse! Thank you, xSilverPhinx:thumbsup:

I like the underlying idea that at some level it's constantly churning out a sort of subtext of our lived experience. This ties in with a phenomenon that I occasionally experience in moments of reverie, in which highly detailed and associative sequences of events drift across my mind in brief but rather intense vignettes. Perhaps in those moments I'm tuning in to the hippocampus channel.  :seahorse:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Recusant

A BBC Reel video about an artist who apparently only works when he's asleep.

"The hidden talents of your sleeping brain"
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

hermes2015

I was a somnambulist up to the age of 25, with some funny consequences on a few occasions.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on July 07, 2020, 05:13:48 AM
I was a somnambulist up to the age of 25, with some funny consequences on a few occasions.

Oh come on! You can't leave that hanging.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on July 07, 2020, 09:10:16 AM
Quote from: hermes2015 on July 07, 2020, 05:13:48 AM

Oh come on! You can't leave that hanging.

No, unfortunately, I have no titillating stories — I never went back to any wrong beds. Once, when we were on holiday and staying at a seaside hotel, I woke up downstairs in the dark kitchen and had no idea why I was there. Another time I dreamt I was trapped in a tomb, banging on the door to try and get out. I was inside the house at the front door, but my parents thought someone was trying to break in.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

It must be a very odd sensation indeed to wake up with no idea how you got there!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.