News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Memory: How the brain constructs dreams

Started by xSilverPhinx, June 28, 2020, 10:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randy

I had a dream once where the house was on fire. I dreamed that my brother was trapped. I ran out of my room screaming something which awoke my parents and I calmly walked back to bed.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Recusant on July 06, 2020, 06:30:59 AM
Very cool story about the magic seahorse! Thank you, xSilverPhinx:thumbsup:

I like the underlying idea that at some level it's constantly churning out a sort of subtext of our lived experience. This ties in with a phenomenon that I occasionally experience in moments of reverie, in which highly detailed and associative sequences of events drift across my mind in brief but rather intense vignettes. Perhaps in those moments I'm tuning in to the hippocampus channel.  :seahorse:

Seems likely! :grin:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on July 07, 2020, 05:13:48 AM
I was a somnambulist up to the age of 25, with some funny consequences on a few occasions.

Somnambulism is such a weird thing. My uncle was a sleep-walker up until his adolescence and my mother tells me my grandparents had to lock his bedroom door so he wouldn't walk out in the middle of the night.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Icarus

Perhaps in the throes of paranoid fear I had a dream. I was walking down a hallway of an office building.  Blocking my path was a young man, well dressed, talking to two other executive types.  The young guy was telling the others that he has the corona virus and he is not feeling well.  None of them were wearing masks and they were standing close to one another. 

I wanted to pass and asked them to stand aside a little bit.  They hooted and hollered at me and began to chase me.  I ducked into another office and somehow retrieved my 12 gauge shotgun. I threatened them to no avail. They kept closing in on me and breathing heavily.  I shot in front of their feet but they were not deterred. It was then that I racked the next round into the chamber and the dream ended abruptly. 

I think that I intended to kill them but before I did, I awoke in a cold sweat.  Man I gotta stop drinking that bourbon before bed time.