News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Good Afternoon

Started by disneyscott, January 07, 2018, 01:24:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

disneyscott

Hello,

I stumbled across this place when looking up some things on atheist spirituality.  Look forward to talking with you all.

Scott

Dave

Hi, Scott and welcome to our little virtual community.

Ah, spirituality, eh? Now, I will have to  ask you how you use that term? Is it:

Quotethe quality of being concerned with the human spirit or soul as opposed to material or physical things.

(as defined when you ask Google to do so)

?

Many atheists are frightened off with any reference to the word "spirit" that does not involve intoxicating liquors. Humanists (which I also am) are put off by words like "soul", I am more inclined to think of "esprit de corps" or of "spitituality" being a, sort of, extension to our emotions - still having its being in the electro-chemical brain and, like all such faculties, to be appreciated and used for good.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tank

Hi Disneyscott

Pull up a chair and settle in. Looking forward to getting to know you.

Welcome to HAF.

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Magdalena

Quote from: disneyscott on January 07, 2018, 01:24:50 PM
Hello,

I stumbled across this place when looking up some things on atheist spirituality.  Look forward to talking with you all.

Scott
Hello, Disneyscott, welcome.  :computerwave:

Would you like us to call you Scott or Disneyscott?

Quote from: Dave on January 07, 2018, 02:41:33 PM
Many atheists are frightened off with any reference to the word "spirit" that does not involve intoxicating liquors...
This is good.  :snicker:

Recusant is our forum administrator, he wrote this a while ago, I agree with it.

Quote"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

My spirituality doesn't involve any gods, or religions, it doesn't have to, does it? I don't remember any gods teaching me about it.
:headscratch:

We can agree to disagree when it comes to what it means. Spirit is a drink, soul is a type of music. The spirit "is lifted" it "soars" it "moves" and the soul "rests in peace" --I don't know.  :shrug:

Wine and weed connects some with their true soul and spirit much easier and faster--That's what I've heard.  :shifty:

Anyways...
Again, welcome, I hope you stay with us for a long time.

Edit: Added the word, "true."
It makes a difference in my realm.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Icarus

Welcome Disneyscott.  We are most friendly lot with members all over the world. We are slightly less than cordial when someone attempts to persuade us that our frame of mind is less worthy than that of the theists.  At the same time we are attentive to valid...key word valid...arguments for whatever tack you happen to be sailing.

Dive in, the water is fine.

Biggus Dickus

Good Morning, and welcome!
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

OldGit

Welcome Disneyscott!  Have you been touched by the Noodly Appendage of our Lord the FSM?

hermes2015

Welcome to our sublime circle of godlessness, Disneyscott. Please tell us more about yourself.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames