News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Remote Working

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, January 06, 2023, 08:45:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

My wife and I are relocating to New England in July and August to escape the Texas heat/humidity. We have rented Airbnbs in Montpelier, Vermont for July and Camden, Maine for most of August. Since I still suffer the indignity of working for a living, I will be on my computer 5 days a week. My employer just approved it, so I am good to go. It will be an adventure, of sorts. Not sure what we will do with our house in Texas while we are gone, but I suspect we will just let the kids/grandkids use and care for it.

billy rubin

vermont is an interesting place.

all the rednecks are liberals there.

and there are moose.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Ecurb Noselrub

Yes, a break from Trumpland would be nice.

billy rubin

where i live trump is the default. i cant figure out why, as the appalachian blue collar workers are all screwed by people just like him.

they voted for him because he was going to open up the auto factories and the coal mines. and then he didnt.

vermont is super pretty too. its lke maine except with people

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Icarus

I love Vermont even though there are bears and other large critters who are not to be trusted. Vermonters though, are mostly admirably liberal and mostly intelligent except for the bears. 

Maine-iacs are also usually pretty friendly but they do have some attitudes that may not comport well with The Texas cultural bent.

Your planned adventure is enviable. 

hermes2015

When I read that you were going to Montpelier, I naturally heard it in my head with the conventional French pronunciation. I'm just curious to know whether the locals have a different way to say the name of their city.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on January 06, 2023, 08:45:28 PMMy wife and I are relocating to New England in July and August to escape the Texas heat/humidity. We have rented Airbnbs in Montpelier, Vermont for July and Camden, Maine for most of August. Since I still suffer the indignity of working for a living, I will be on my computer 5 days a week. My employer just approved it, so I am good to go. It will be an adventure, of sorts. Not sure what we will do with our house in Texas while we are gone, but I suspect we will just let the kids/grandkids use and care for it.

That sounds fun.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dark Lightning

Yes, it does sound fun. Not commuting is a big plus.

Icarus

Hermes: Vermonters do not use the French pronunciation. That is so, even though Vermont borders on the north with Quebec Canada. Quebec is very French. So French that the Quebec hierarchy once tried to secede from Canada so that they could make the French language obligatory in their province.

hermes2015

Quote from: Icarus on January 07, 2023, 09:59:28 PMHermes: Vermonters do not use the French pronunciation. That is so, even though Vermont borders on the north with Quebec Canada. Quebec is very French. So French that the Quebec hierarchy once tried to secede from Canada so that they could make the French language obligatory in their province.

Thanks, Icarus. I was aware that the locals also don't pronounce Notre Dame in the conventional French way. I assume that's the case with other French and German names as well.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

you should listen to the coonasses in louisiana

the cajuns speak a unique variety of french that is an 18th century version of the ones the quebecois speak, which itself is an antique version of the french that the french speak.

or so they tell me.

and in the american west the gringos dont pronounce spanish place names the way the spanish would.

texas, calexico, los angeles . . . all gringoed.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: hermes2015 on January 07, 2023, 02:55:53 AMWhen I read that you were going to Montpelier, I naturally heard it in my head with the conventional French pronunciation. I'm just curious to know whether the locals have a different way to say the name of their city.

I have been to both cities. In Vermont the R is pronounced and the emphasis is on the second syllable. The French spell it "Montpellier", and of course, don't pronounce the R, while the emphasis seems to be on the last syllable.

hermes2015

― Charles Eames

Icarus

Ecurb Noselrub

Language is fascinating.