News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Recent posts

Miscellaneous / Re: Build the Pyramid
Last post by Old Seer - Today at 02:03:41 PM
The devise is referred to as a "djed pillar", which seems to me to be a wine press of some type rather than a force multiplier. The lower part would make a very poor bearing as perpendicular force would tend to move the pillar up out of the base. The pillar would make a better axial means if it were same as top bearing.
Current Events / Re: Israeli-Hamas war
Last post by Asmodean - Today at 12:19:42 PM
Quote from: Dark Lightning on April 24, 2024, 01:58:24 AMHow about all the people on both side who are "openly aflame" calm the fuck down?
The Book of Divine The Asmo, the very first chapter and verse... Well, after hundreds of pages of His self-aggrandising. Still, it's there. :smilenod:

I see some news about the police removing college campus protesters. Personally, I'd say "leave them to it," [the protesters, that is] but then it has been stated that there was private property damage and/or voilence, in which case they probably ought to be dispersed.
Life As An Atheist / Re: On the subject of atheism.
Last post by zorkan - Today at 11:41:05 AM
The debate about faith schools in Britain has resurfaced again this week.
They provide kids with good morals and values, and are a great start for any young life.
There are of course counter arguments.

https://www.secularism.org.uk/opinion/2021/02/the-evidence-against-faith-schools-is-overwhelming

Do they teach Big Bang cosmology? I don't think so.
Do they teach evolution by natural selection? I don't think so.
Two of the greatest ideas in the last 150 years are ignored which could inspire young minds.

My conclusion is that kids would have a better start in life by teaching facts and not fiction.

Life As An Atheist / Re: This is serious. This is r...
Last post by zorkan - Today at 11:33:35 AM
I'm arguing that the denial of science should itself be at least a caution, but it never is.
While you are free to believe in what you like (Flying Spaghetti Monster, for instance), you should not be intimidated by the religious mainstream.

How many Presidents of the USA (Christians with their hands on the nuclear button) have believed that the world is only 6000 years old?
Laid Back Lounge / Re: Jokes Thread (Was named An...
Last post by Recusant - Today at 04:20:32 AM
More a brief absurdist cartoon than a joke . . .

Current Events / Re: Floods in Rio Grande do Su...
Last post by Dark Lightning - Today at 03:09:02 AM
I have a dim recollection of the same. I hope she and her mother are OK.
Current Events / Re: Floods in Rio Grande do Su...
Last post by Icarus - Today at 01:57:24 AM
Last bit of news that I read is that Silver is, or was, in the US....Texas I think.  An academic pursuit I suspect.
Current Events / Floods in Rio Grande do Sul
Last post by Recusant - May 01, 2024, 11:59:49 PM
Hoping that our errant Brazilian star is doing OK. This is in her neighborhood.

"Brazil floods: Residents stranded on rooftops in Rio Grande do Sul" | BBC
Laid Back Lounge / Re: animals in your life
Last post by billy rubin - May 01, 2024, 10:40:43 PM
today i was emptying a garbage compactor in west virginia, and there was an old goose decoy stuck down by the chain link fence. then i looked again and the decoy was looking back at me.

grus canadensis. pretty common. this one is late with the eggs, there were five under him/her (theyre monomorphic and mate for life). normally the eggs are out in february, and here it is walpurgisnacht already.
Laid Back Lounge / Re: animals in your life
Last post by billy rubin - May 01, 2024, 10:19:46 PM
they are really elegant snakes. lampropeltis triangulum. i remember them from many years ago in oklahoma, iirc. milk snakes, king snakes, lots of common names which i cant keep track of. lampropeltis is good enough for me.

the pattern is pretty constant, but there is great variety in how dark or light each of the parts is. but consistently theres a dark stripe outlined in black, against a light background. and some have bright red stripings.

dont see em a lot in daytime, unlike the rat snakes, which are happily unafraid of anything. theyre constrictors. currently there are 24 subspecies in various places, named for their different colours. theyll eat mice and frogs and lizards and other snakes.

i wish they were more common. the young ones are gorgeous, bright red stripes. i found one on the floor of a fast food place-- a mcdonalds-- a few years ago. the width of a pencil and about as long. took it out to th eweeds.

we have a a decent variety of snakes here but you mostly have to go looking for them to catch them out.