News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

The Asmo's Trump Thread

Started by Asmodean, July 17, 2017, 03:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Essie Mae

Gentlemen! Gentlemen! This is very upsetting!

I another issue, Trump is Noe saying that transgender people will not be allowed to serve in any capacity in the military.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Tom62

Quote from: Essie Mae on July 26, 2017, 06:00:43 PM

I another issue, Trump is Noe saying that transgender people will not be allowed to serve in any capacity in the military.

The army would not be the same any more....
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Dave

Quote from: Tom62 on July 26, 2017, 06:18:08 PM

The army would not be the same any more....

I just knew it would be that clip!

I assume the US armed forces, "Don't ask, don't tell" policy for gays and lesbians still stands (for the moment) then? Or did that just get left out of the media's interpretation?
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Davin

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/742771576039460864?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fabcnews.go.com%2FPolitics%2Fdonald-trumps-past-statements-lgbt-rights%2Fstory%3Fid%3D48858527
Quote from: Trump 10:31 AM - 14 Jun 2016Thank you to the LGBT community! I will fight for you while Hillary brings in more people that will threaten your freedoms and beliefs.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

xSilverPhinx

^He's learning to be a politician.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Firebird

Quote from: Gloucester on July 26, 2017, 06:35:17 PM
I assume the US armed forces, "Don't ask, don't tell" policy for gays and lesbians still stands (for the moment) then? Or did that just get left out of the media's interpretation?

Don't ask don't tell no longer exists, so there's no restrictions on gays serving in the military. At least, not at this time. I'm sure if Sessions and the religious right had their way, they'd ban anyone who's not a white male Christian and then put crosses on their uniforms a la the Crusades.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Arturo

Quote from: Firebird on July 27, 2017, 03:55:34 AM
Quote from: Gloucester on July 26, 2017, 06:35:17 PM

Don't ask don't tell no longer exists, so there's no restrictions on gays serving in the military. At least, not at this time. I'm sure if Sessions and the religious right had their way, they'd ban anyone who's not a white male Christian and then put crosses on their uniforms a la the Crusades.

That would severly limit the military's numbers. And then all these military trained minorities with a shared tribal identity would be displaced and justifiably upset. And perhaps with such access to guns in the states here, we would see a civil war/2nd revolution with the goverment losing to the far greater numbers.

And the Goverment would have no choice but to take away the guns of the people which would get even more people against them and knock out a good chunk of their voter base potentially.

I don't see them allowing that to happen unless they really are that stupid *plays banjo*
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Asmodean

Quote from: Davin on July 26, 2017, 03:14:25 PM
So you're not saying that the statement displays a narrow viewpoint or lack of knowledge?
No. A lack of wisdom. a narrowness of perspective. Were those not my words?

Yeas, I have seen the tweets.

Why not just be happy that someone actually wants to serve in your armed forces, rather than exclude potential candidates based on whatever reason?

EDIT: Actually, I take that back. There is a valid reason to turn away a potential candidate - not needing more personnel. Slamming the door in their face and burning the bridge, however, may not be the best approach even if that is the case.

Quote from: Arturo on July 27, 2017, 04:04:53 AM
That would severly limit the military's numbers. And then all these military trained minorities with a shared tribal identity would be displaced and justifiably upset. And perhaps with such access to guns in the states here, we would see a civil war/2nd revolution with the goverment losing to the far greater numbers.
A civil war over who gets to fight wars? Now that would be an irony to end all ironies.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Icarus

At least for the moment the removal of trans people has caused a shitstorm of opposition and anger.   There are thousands of military people who are transgender and it has not been much of a problem. Some of them have done multiple tours in Iraq and Afghanistan. They are just as good at their jobs and loyal to their country as other soldiers, sailors, or airmen.

Today an interview on NPR was compelling. The soldier had been in the service for eighteen and a half years, with three Afghan tours. Eligible for partial retirement benefits at 20 years.  If that person is bounced out of the service by some silly ass quirk, before the time is up..........well that is not going to fly no matter what the imperial leader says.

Asmodean

Was that soldier dismissed for being transgendered? Or about to be? One would think that after eighteen years of proving that you are indeed "one of the guys," you would be long-since accepted as such by your peers, if you were any good at all for anything at all.

And if those who work with you trust you to have their back... Is it really some orange bureaucracy's place to tell you and them that you don't belong there?

It's... Stupid. Not riots-in-the-streets stupid in my book, as we are talking about a tiny fraction of the population, but still stupid enough for a letter or two.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Firebird

So apparently Trump did this because there was a spending bill being held up over whether to pay for gender reassignment for transgender soldiers, a bill that included things like his stupid Mexican wall (guess the Mexicans aren't paying for it after all!). The Republicans go to Trump asking for help resolving this, and he tweets out a ban on all transgender soldiers, which is NOT what they expected or wanted. Apparently his precious wall is worth this bullshit, though. What a disgrace.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Asmodean

*Sigh* Can't we just pass a hat around or something? Build the damned wall, stick Trump's name on it, then sue his ass over its placement a few thousand times?

I like walls, but... Walls can be effective at stopping or slowing down large and concentrated groups of people. Has that ever been a problem on the US-Mexican border?
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Davin

Quote from: Asmodean on July 27, 2017, 07:18:28 AM
Quote from: Davin on July 26, 2017, 03:14:25 PM
So you're not saying that the statement displays a narrow viewpoint or lack of knowledge?
No. A lack of wisdom. a narrowness of perspective. Were those not my words?
:lol:
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Asmodean

They were, were they not?

Eh... I'm getting bored of that argument. Too bored, in fact, to look it up, so if there is a point to be made, I will address it. Otherwise, meh...
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.