News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Should we talk about the weather?

Started by Eric V Arachnid, December 28, 2014, 12:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Oh you poor northern folk, meanwhile down here in the south of the south it was a nice, sunny, 30 degrees day.

:hammock:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Quote from: Buddy on November 12, 2019, 07:49:47 PM
Quote from: Tank on November 12, 2019, 07:05:03 PM
We're getting serious rain in the UK with floods in areas where there is no living memory of flooding.

Yikes. How is your area holding up?

Fortunately Okay.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

jumbojak

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 12, 2019, 08:56:30 PM
Oh you poor northern folk, meanwhile down here in the south of the south it was a nice, sunny, 30 degrees day.

What's that in dungarees Frankenstein?

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on November 12, 2019, 09:51:16 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 12, 2019, 08:56:30 PM

What's that in dungarees Frankenstein?

86 dungarees Frankenstein.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

jumbojak

Too damn hot. I'd do better with the cold if I has some luvas...

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Harmonie

A real winter-like (by the standards of where I live) cold front came through a couple of days ago. It even sleeted, with some snow further to the east. The temperature was still like 60 when I woke up in the morning, but by the evening it was in the low 20s. And the lows got into the mid teens last night. Today it barely got above freezing.

I've never seen it that cold in early November. Of course, where I live winters are very limited with only a select number of cold fronts each winter. I'm worried this counts as one of those, thus when winter actually comes they'll all be used up... And of course, no winter precipitation we've seen so far has been anywhere near significant in of itself.

I may sound like I'm predicting out of thin air here, but I've seen how winters turn out now and I could likely be quoted at the end of winter and my predictions were true. God I hope not, though. I want a real winter storm for the first time in forever.

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

billy rubin

got to do something about the house. it's 100 years old with no insulation. right now it's about 50F, which is fine for me, but the lovely wife hates it when the temperature inside drops that far.

the old coal furnace in the cellar sprung a leak, and so we have a bunch of little milkhouse heaters, but that's it.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Icarus

BR you got a Norton Commando or something similar?

billy rubin

1970 commando mark2. nice handling machine. second year for them.

nortons are wonderful machines, much better combustion chambers than triumphs. some zelf-dissassembling parts tho.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

billy rubin

ive got 12 or 13 motorcycles in the shop at the moment. but ive always wanted one of these, seriously

i know you were competitive on them, but i would  just love the old thumpers to plonk around on. closest i have now is a 441 victor

Bad Penny II

Why does the weather thread have motorcycles in it?

Tracy was a cyclone that arrived Xmasish in Darwin.
Tojo did make it to Darwin in the same way he made it to Hawaii
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

billy rubin

because weather is irrelevant unlesz one experiences it

and motorcycles are the most perfect instrument with which to exp3rience sudden changes in the weather

except maybe open cockpit aircraft

Bad Penny II

I am petty and my middle name is Thomas

ye, fuck off Tom I dont' know how it feels to be you?
What kind of weird out of touch  bastard writes a song like that?
No I don't have multiple millions, I'm sad for things I lost in my shed

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Ecurb Noselrub

It's unseasonably cold in Central Texas.  Overnight temps last two days have been 27 and 26 F.  Usually doesn't freeze that hard this early.  Next week, back to 70.

billy rubin

im in ohio

when the pleistocene sets in here we'll be below freezing until the usual temporary thaw in february.

right now tbe daylight temperature is dancing on either side of freezing. im putting up plastic on tbe old leaky windows and am looking forward to indoor temperaturez soaring into the fiftiez and sixties