News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Should we talk about the weather?

Started by Eric V Arachnid, December 28, 2014, 12:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jumbojak

There's a fucking BLIZZARD going on right now. News completely missed it too.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Sandra Craft

No blizzard, but it's cold here too.  I have all the windows shut, am wearing a heavy sweater and still cold.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

xSilverPhinx

I wish it was cold. Where can I purchase a Genie in a Lamp?
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Unseasonably warm here today. Lots of super saturated Atlantic air due later so lots of rain down the West of the UK.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sandra Craft

It's not only cold but it's now been raining for a day and a half and my bedroom ceiling has sprung a leak.
Sandy

Bluenose

Well summer has finally arrived with a vengeance.  38°C (100.4°F) today and the fires have started in my home state of Victoria.  Of course, there's already been fires in Queensland and New South Wales.  More hot days to follow although not quite as hot as today.  So far no fatalities from the fires, which is good.  looks like it's going to be a long hot summer.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Harmonie

*Long sigh*

Well, a couple of days ago we were projected to have an actual winter storm. Our first since early 2011. But then it fell apart, taking more a southerly track. Yesterday we were downgraded to a winter weather advisory and then today even that was cancelled as absolutely nothing happened. Not even a single snowflake.

Eastern Oklahoma must have a curse put on it. This is just so sad. Getting more than 2 inches in a snowstorm used to be an annual thing. Getting 6+ inches used to be an annual thing. Now we get dustings and that's it. We couldn't even get that this time, though. Jesus.

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

jumbojak

Snow is on the way. Projections are from zero to twenty inches, I shit you not. Way to cover all the bases.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Tom62

Rain, rain and more rain with temperatures around 10 degrees Celsius.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: jumbojak on December 09, 2018, 04:58:30 AM
Snow is on the way. Projections are from zero to twenty inches, I shit you not. Way to cover all the bases.

Are you in the Appalachians?  Hundreds of thousands without power.  Quite a snowfest.

xSilverPhinx

Literally! :o

Harmonie

Actually, it was the same here. The meteorologist I watched made it very clear that everyday that there was a model where we could get nothing or close to nothing. But it was on the lowest end of the extremes whereas the one on the other end was on the extreme of 14 something inches.

He took a reasonable position at the time and predicted in between, but more on the lower side, and when the system came on-shore he and everyone else really backed away. Yet people where I live are so mad at him in particular. Christmas parades were cancelled two days in advance of the storm even coming, and people rushed to the stores and they're blaming that meteorologist in particular. There's even a meme about it.

God, people are stupid. Like why did the Christmas parade even need to be cancelled two days in advance? Why couldn't they have waited until the meteorologists were more certain with what was going to happen? It's not like they all weren't saying "Things could change" the whole time, but everyone took those early predictions as the gospel truth and it's their own darn fault, not the meteorologist.

There *is* an actual bad weather news service for where I live. It's one that runs online (as far as I know) and has a Facebook. Every single time there is a storm anywhere near they go for the highest extreme model and talk like it's going to happen. I have a friend on FB who always shares them and I can't for the life of me understand why. He's lived in this miserable state the same last seven years I have and should darn well know that site never shares accurate model data ever. They're the ones that people should be frustrated with, but no one cares and just keeps on sharing them anyway.

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

xSilverPhinx

Weather here is currently...bearable.  :hammock:

Sandra Craft

It's still too cold for my pampered, Californian blood, more rain may or may not be coming, and maintenance is halfway thru fixing the leak in my bedroom.  I think they're got the roof patched up but there's now a big hole in my ceiling and I've been told not to use that room tonight (no problem).  They promise to finish fixing it tomorrow.
Sandy

xSilverPhinx

Weather here is currently unbearable.  :desert: