Should we talk about the weather?

Started by Eric V Arachnid, December 28, 2014, 12:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluenose

Quote from: Harmonie on July 13, 2018, 08:12:17 PM
Quote from: Bluenose on June 24, 2018, 06:01:54 AM
Quote from: Harmonie on June 24, 2018, 12:04:01 AM
Quote from: Harmonie on June 23, 2018, 07:12:14 PM
It's not as horrendous as it could be. Believe it or not, here on the second day of summer it is currently sitting at 79 degrees at 1PM.

I take back everything I said. I decided that since the weather was a slight bit less miserable than it would be any other day of the week I should walk to the store. Bad idea. It turns out that the temperature rose up to 87 degrees. I also should have worn lighter colored clothes, you'd think I'd learn after last time, but I do like my dark colored clothes too much. lol

You'd fit in well in Melbourne, then!  It's practically compulsory here to were dark, preferably black clothing!  We're a stylish lot...   ;)

Melbourne... Australia? Nah, Australia would be too hot for me!

I know that's the common perception but large areas of Australia really do have four seasons and although possibly very hot on a few days per year we also have mild weather and even cold weather.  Snow on the nearby hills around Melbourne is not much of an oddity.  If you really want to avoid the heat, you could always try Tasmania, not much to worry about there!

Quote from: Tank on July 24, 2018, 06:23:25 AM
Most of the UK is going through it longest heatwave since 1976.

Heatwave?  Yeah, I remember when I was over there in 2016 on a cruise on Derwent Water.  It was about 24°C and all the people on the boat were complaining about the heat and I was debating whether or not to take my jumper off.  LOL
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Tank

Well it's getting worse today and tomorrow and on Friday it's supposed to be 28°C in Leeds and we're going to get thunder storms and torrential rain!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Bluenose

Quote from: Tank on July 25, 2018, 07:46:49 AM
Southern Europe is suffering with 74 people killed in Greece in Wild fires yesterday.

Yes, terrible.  Reminds me of Black Saturday back in 2009. There's nothing good about wildfire.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Bluenose on July 25, 2018, 11:39:18 AM
Quote from: Tank on July 25, 2018, 07:46:49 AM
Southern Europe is suffering with 74 people killed in Greece in Wild fires yesterday.

Yes, terrible.  Reminds me of Black Saturday back in 2009. There's nothing good about wildfire.

How many black days of the week do we have?

And of course there's Ash Wednesday.

QuoteThen the word on the wire
  Would be just like Ash Wednesday bush fire
  Kiss me quick, kiss me warm
  Put your dress on and hurry back home
  Don't stand so close to the window
  Somebody out there might see
  And you're not supposed to be here with me
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Harmonie

Temperatures have fallen into the upper 70s even though it's still light outside. It's been cloudy most of the day. Sadly when I walked to trade my textbook back in, it was still well into the 80s. Yuck.

Quote from: Bluenose on July 24, 2018, 01:57:50 PMI know that's the common perception but large areas of Australia really do have four seasons and although possibly very hot on a few days per year we also have mild weather and even cold weather.  Snow on the nearby hills around Melbourne is not much of an oddity.  If you really want to avoid the heat, you could always try Tasmania, not much to worry about there!

Eh... According to the Köppen climate classification the only temperate region of Australia is humid subtropical. That's the kind of area I am already in, and I am not satisfied.

Granted, I know to take that with a grain of salt, because there is just no way that the deep South has the same exact kind of climate that I do. But I would bet that whatever kind of four seasons Australia gets, it is very warm. I mean, obviously, I'm not from there, but everything I've heard, every time I've checked the temperatures, it has much milder winters than even where I live and that says a lot.

That's not for me. I belong in a colder temperate climate, like New England area states.

Quote from: Tank on July 24, 2018, 06:23:25 AMHeatwave?  Yeah, I remember when I was over there in 2016 on a cruise on Derwent Water.  It was about 24°C and all the people on the boat were complaining about the heat and I was debating whether or not to take my jumper off.  LOL

I live somewhere where it gets much hotter than that regularly during the summer, and even I think that is waayyy too warm for any kind of long sleeve wear. Heck last winter I was getting too warm and sweating in 60sF weather. There's probably something wrong with me.

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Bluenose

Quote from: Harmonie on July 27, 2018, 01:07:31 AM
Temperatures have fallen into the upper 70s even though it's still light outside. It's been cloudy most of the day. Sadly when I walked to trade my textbook back in, it was still well into the 80s. Yuck.

Quote from: Bluenose on July 24, 2018, 01:57:50 PMI know that's the common perception but large areas of Australia really do have four seasons and although possibly very hot on a few days per year we also have mild weather and even cold weather.  Snow on the nearby hills around Melbourne is not much of an oddity.  If you really want to avoid the heat, you could always try Tasmania, not much to worry about there!

Eh... According to the Köppen climate classification the only temperate region of Australia is humid subtropical.

What?  That's ridiculous.  Most of Australia is arid.  We have a variety of different climate types, remembering that Australia is a continent, as well as a country.  Our climates vary from hot humid tropical in the north to humid subtropical, mainly down the eastern seaboard of Queensland and northern New South Wales, to temperate in the southern mainland (like Melbourne where I live) and Tasmania is also temperate but on the colder side.  The great majority of the interior of the continent is arid country where certainly temperatures can rise enormously during summer, but overnight temperatures can drop below zero Celsius (32 Fahrenheit).  We have large areas of montane climate like where my cousin lives up in the "high country" of the Snowy Mountains where summer temperatures tend to be much milder than in a lot of other places and snow in winter is common.  Indeed, during the winter the snow on the ground in the Australian Alps covers much more area than the actual Alps in Europe.  Remember we Australians are a jocular lot and we like nothing better than to "spin a yarn" about the perils of life in our country particularly for foreign visitors and Internet acquaintances.  We also like to exaggerate our tolerance for things like extreme heat, and nothing does that better than talking up the occasions when it does get hot.  What we really do is turn on the air-con or go to the beach, remembering that the overwhelming majority of Aussies live within an hour's drive of the beach.  So for example if it gets too hot in my home town, I can simply drive down the Mornington Peninsula or up one of the nearby hills/mountains both of which are where the temperature can be up to 10-15°C cooler.

edit: BTW, Melbourne where I live tends to be very dry during the summer so the same temperature is a lot more bearable than in high humidity places.  My favourite season here, though is autumn, when we tend to get clear warm sunny days and cool, but not cold nights.  Fabulous for camping!

Quote from: Harmonie
Quote from: BluenoseHeatwave?  Yeah, I remember when I was over there in 2016 on a cruise on Derwent Water.  It was about 24°C and all the people on the boat were complaining about the heat and I was debating whether or not to take my jumper off.  LOL

I live somewhere where it gets much hotter than that regularly during the summer, and even I think that is waayyy too warm for any kind of long sleeve wear. Heck last winter I was getting too warm and sweating in 60sF weather. There's probably something wrong with me.

No, I wouldn't say that there's something wrong with you.  BTW, I did actually take my jumper off and it was a lovely day!

GNU Terry Pratchett

Tank

A couple of claps of thunder and very heavy showers yesterday. More today with a bit of luck.

Dave

Was forecast here yesterday, but cloudy start and sunny finnish. Thor gave us a miss.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Dave

According to my infrared thermometer the ambient temperature of all walls and objects in my room is 24.8 +- 0.1C. At 26C I was begining to feel quite warm, uncomfortably warm at 28C (and too darn hot at 30C.)

Just an indicator of what the dreaded 3C global rise might feel like? The Three Degrees were great, but not these 3 degrees C!

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Bluenose

Quote from: Dave on July 29, 2018, 06:10:14 PM
According to my infrared thermometer the ambient temperature of all walls and objects in my room is 24.8 +- 0.1C. At 26C I was begining to feel quite warm, uncomfortably warm at 28C (and too darn hot at 30C.)

Just an indicator of what the dreaded 3C global rise might feel like? The Three Degrees were great, but not these 3 degrees C!

Ha ha!  I think anything from 25 to 30°C is very pleasant.  Above 30 it's beginning to get a bit warm, once it gets to 40°C it bloody hot.  OTOH, below 15°C and it's definitely a bit chilly, sub 10°C temperatures are ridiculous and should be banned!

GNU Terry Pratchett

Harmonie

We had a severe storm which blew in some very unseasonably cool weather. It is 68 degrees at 5 pm with a breeze. WOW.

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Tank

Odd weather yesterday. Made it to my car to go home and then it poured down. It poured down all the way home. And then stopped when I arrived!

Dave

Quote from: Tank on July 31, 2018, 07:57:54 AM
Odd weather yesterday. Made it to my car to go home and then it poured down. It poured down all the way home. And then stopped when I arrived!

I had close to the reverse on Sunday.