News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Should we talk about the weather?

Started by Eric V Arachnid, December 28, 2014, 12:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

solidsquid

Same state, different cities:

The good thing about Texas is that I want a different climate but want to stay living in the same State, I can.  I've actually considered moving further north to maybe the Dallas/Fort Worth area, Amarillo would be even better.

Harmonie

No, you probably shouldn't get me started talking about the weather. Yesterday it was in the 80s. Needless to say, I could rant a book. lol

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Biggus Dickus

It's mid February here in Michigan, and the temperature today could reach 60 degrees F. This isn't normal, average high for this time of year is 37.

Today could set an all-time new record, and the temperature for the next week will be an average high of mid-50's each day. (We've had practically no snowfall at all so far this winter)

We have a president and administration, as well as a majority of Republicans who think climate science, like everything else is fake, and junk science, as well as an overwhelming number of Americans, most of whom supported Trump who think the same...I guess  we here in Michigan can be thankful that we'll at least have nice weather as we head towards the apocalypse.

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Dave

Does the lack of a snow fall in parts of America indicate a later water shortage for anyone? Is any rainfall "replacing" the snow? But, if I remember these things, the "storage" and slowish release that snow offers can be important in some systems.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Arturo

Quote from: Gloucester on February 18, 2017, 04:42:12 PM
Does the lack of a snow fall in parts of America indicate a later water shortage for anyone? Is any rainfall "replacing" the snow? But, if I remember these things, the "storage" and slowish release that snow offers can be important in some systems.

Yeah the snow is good for my grass. Unfortunately I live in Michigan like Father Bruno. So at least here the rain isn't replacing anything because I know is my grass will be brown this year.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Gloucester on February 18, 2017, 04:42:12 PM

The Great Lakes which surround Michigan rely not only on run-off from snowfall, but increased precipitation as well during the spring. Currently the Lake levels are on the rise after a nearly decade of below average (Even some record lows for Lakes Michigan and Huron for the period 2000-2010)
Even though the snowfall rate this winter is down, there still has been quite a bit of rainfall so the current forecast for the Lakes this year is continued increase in levels which is good.

Winter has been unusually warm this year, last month was among the warmest Januaries on record, and yesterday the metro Detroit area beat the high record of 62 set in 1961 with a temperature of 69 degrees.

It was hotter yesterday here in metro Detroit than much of southern California, Arizona and New Mexico. But, meh...global warming.

Harmonie

Wow, you all are hitting those temperatures up in Michigan, too? That's soooo lame.

Except, I mean, it's still an abnormality up there. Down where I live, it was like that back in the early to mid 2000s, but then the late 2000s came about and now it hits the 60s and 70s regularly every winter. There's hardly been a single week this "winter" where we haven't seen 60s and 70s. So pathetic.

The weather forecasters are still acting like it's some anomaly. As if it's any shock whatsoever that it's this warm in February, when it's been like this for years.

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Dave

Quote from: Harmonie on February 19, 2017, 05:35:08 PM
That's soooo lame.
Harmonie, OT for a bit. As a casual student of English and how the meanings of words change I found your use of "lame" knew to me.

If asked for two other words you would use in that context which would you choose? Understanding that there may be nuances of "strength" here.

American English seems to be drifting away from the core even faster than Australian! But then, it started off based on the 17th C version . . .

xSilverPhinx

It's 32 C (90 F) here. Even so, it isn't the worst summer we've had in the past 10 years. Winters seem to be getting warmer. The climate has basically been really weird these years.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Gloucester on February 19, 2017, 06:00:09 PM
That's soooo lame.
American English seems to be drifting away from the core even faster than Australian! But then, it started off based on the 17th C version . . .

Linguistic speciation!
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Harmonie

That's soooo lame.
Harmonie, OT for a bit. As a casual student of English and how the meanings of words change I found your use of "lame" knew to me.

If asked for two other words you would use in that context which would you choose? Understanding that there may be nuances of "strength" here.

And I find your use of "knew" interesting.

I'm kidding. My apologies, I could not resist, given the subject matter of your post.

Where I live "lame" has come to mean "uncool". Not in a temperature sense, but oh my gosh this is so hard to explain. Essentially it means "Not good" but in an exaggerated slang-way. Which accurately describes how I think of the weather being the way it is.

Dave

Quote from: Harmonie on February 19, 2017, 07:01:23 PM
That's soooo lame.

Don't apologise, I make those kind of bloopers often - and own up to them happily!

And I find your use of "knew" interesting.

I'm kidding. My apologies, I could not resist, given the subject matter of your post.

Where I live "lame" has come to mean "uncool". Not in a temperature sense, but oh my gosh this is so hard to explain. Essentially it means "Not good" but in an exaggerated slang-way. Which accurately describes how I think of the weather being the way it is.

As a child of the 50s and 60s I am well aquainted with "cool" as a grade of acceptedness, desirability and things like that. Later we had "ace" if I remember, but not quite the same. You could see a "cool bird/chick" but a desirable motorbike would more likely be "ace" over here. We imported "cool" from the States along with rock and roll of course.

So, a "cool" day might be a comfortably warm on on the beach or a freezing one on the ski slopes!

Context rules, OK!

Hmm, "lame duck > "lame excuse" > "lame attempt". . . Yeah, there is a pattern.

Biggus Dickus

Man we had one hell of a thunderstorm here in Michigan last night (Noticed Arturo mentioning the storm in another thread and how it kept him up last night)

Can't remember the last time we had the volume and intensity of lightening as we did last night, reminded me at times of an artillery barrage.

Completely surprised we didn't loose power....about 1230 last night I could hear the neighbors dog howling from inside his house from all of the racket, even our house was shaking, to the point I could hear not only the windows rattling, but pictures on the walls.

Crazy weather.

Fucking Trump. >:(

Harmonie

Apparently there were tornadoes in my state last night. =/

February went up in smoke. It was supposed to be winter, but it was just another month of warm/hot weather with only a few chilly days here and there. Now everyone's chanting "It's Spring" and I want to go cry. Other things in life have got me depressed, too. I don't even know what to do anymore.

Dave

Er ... um

Later: just opened curtains, evidence so far is that the ringed "summary" is the more accurate - wispy  cloud and sunshine, no wet stuff in evidence.