News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

getting rid of the biomass might require blowing with compressed air or a strong water jet

set the function, not the mechanism.

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on January 20, 2024, 12:33:29 PMgetting rid of the biomass might require blowing with compressed air or a strong water jet

Yes. But I don't have an airline.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

is it a complex system? the ones i am familar with are just a plastic jug with a little DC electric motor/pump on the bottom with an attached wiring pigtail.

the pump has a little hose barb that connects to the rubber hoses leading to the nozzles.

the constriction through the pump can be poked out or replaced, the rubber lines can be thrown away and replaced, and theres nothing to the jug but a blow-molded tank.

is it difficult to get to?

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on January 20, 2024, 07:22:03 PM...

is it difficult to get to?

Not if you have 8" long double jointed steel fingers with grippers for fingernails. You can't see any of it except the spout, let alone reach it.  >:( 
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

billy rubin

Tank

Yes. It's a very small car and everything is squeezed in to the maximum degree.

billy rubin

my first car was a 1967 chevrolet pickup, with a straight six.

to work on it, i climbed into the engine compartment, sat down on the inner fender and put my feet on the frame.

a very different design philosophy. it didnt have windshield squirters.

Asmodean

My car is on the small-ish side of what Americans would call full-size. Long bonnet and everything, but one still needs double-jointed fingers to access pretty much anything.

I think indeed it is a different philosophy from that of yesteryear. The owner is pretty much expected not to service their car in their own garage or out behind the shed. I like tinkering, so it sort-of displeases me, but then I like toys and... A price (in the literal sense) worth paying?

That said, unclogged my nozzles by back-blowing air through them with a tire inflator at a gas station. Mine were just full of winter and grime though.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on January 21, 2024, 03:23:03 PMmy first car was a 1967 chevrolet pickup, with a straight six.

to work on it, i climbed into the engine compartment, sat down on the inner fender and put my feet on the frame.

Do any places in the USA put rock salt grit on frozen roads?

Asmodean

If Rainman Ray's Repairs youTube channel is anything to go by, them's be saltin' "up North," though he's in Florida, so "all" he has is a lot of "up North."
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Tank on January 22, 2024, 09:58:30 AM
Quote from: billy rubin on January 21, 2024, 03:23:03 PMmy first car was a 1967 chevrolet pickup, with a straight six.

Yup. It's become a real problem with the salinization of fresh water lakes, for example, here in the US.

Asmodean

I wonder how they manage here, where the municipality has put more salt on the road just yesterday than the cafeteria at work puts in a average bowl of pea soup, and that's saying something.

I think it might be because our lakes are usually elevated, while the cities trend towards the coast. Also, I may be wrong, but I think they stop salting in water preservation areas and resume when passed said areas. It's just sometimes, you drive on wet asphalt and then suddenly graveled snow and ice for a kilometer or two, then wet asphalt again and from my subjective experience, there tend to be "Water protection area" signs before the surface changes.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

Quote from: Tank on January 22, 2024, 09:58:30 AM

here in east tbey do. lots of salt mines around. also fused silica clinkers from the old steel mills. they used to just dump tbe red hot stuff on the ground so there are mountains of it from 150 years of smelting

farther north towatds tbe great lakes they use beach sand.

in oklahoma tbey would load sand from the rivers to put on the roads in town. out on tje highways they do nothing.

Asmodean

Does not stuff like gravel and sand hurt the vehicles on the high speed, high traffic roads?

At least that's the excuse they use to exclusively salt our roads with the speed limit above around 70kmph and heavy-ish traffic
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

around here they use crystalline salt and liquid salt solutions on high speed roads.

the sand goes on city streets, secondary, and country roads in places that use it..

clinkers and broken limestone are used on unpaved roads here

in oklahoma and texas, they do nothing to the highways. no salt, no brine, no ploughs.

nada. if its snow, you drive in it