News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

Quote from: Dark Lightning on August 13, 2023, 01:47:00 AM
Quote from: Icarus on August 13, 2023, 12:48:39 AMI see all your posts about Florida, and have to admit to a bit of confusion, since your sig says, "Indianopolis, Indiana".

I live in Lakeland Florida. I have lived in Florida for a long time, like 80 years, with time out in the military which was mostly in Connecticut. I was born in Indianapolis Indiana, but that was in 1930. I have been back to Indy only a couple of times since then. I reckon that makes me a Florida Cracker for all practical purposes.

I used to believe that I lived in the best place in the nation. Not so much anymore. My state has grown from a population of about one million to more than 22 million. We are going to run out of water, run out space in our landfills, run out of patience with the infernal traffic jams, endure the incredible inflationary property values, and ............fill in the blanks.

The above is reason enough to believe my state is no longer the best of all. The kicker is that our politics have gone completely apeshit. My governor is out of his god damned mind and his acolytes in the state legislature suck up to him without regard to reality.

Too late for me to move away to a kinder gentler place like some of my younger friends have opted to do.

Anne D.

Icarus, your post made me look up your city on a map. I had no idea Florida had so many lakes. For some reason, I'm kind of surprised.

Icarus

Anne,my city is called Lakeland because it has many lakes within the city limits, 21 of them. Most of them are small and not very deep. They are all useful for small boats and for fishing...and oh yes.... alligators. Several of the lakes are surrounded by city parks.

This area in central Florida has many hundreds of lakes scattered about. I suspect not nearly as many lakes as Minnesota and the Boundry waters.

Florida also has many rivers. None of them are the source of rivers such as the mighty Mississippi, like the top end at ...where is it....Grand Rapids ?  Not the Michigan Grand Rapids, the Minnesota one.

Anne D.

Glad we don't have any 'gators up here : ) Sadly, I wasn't even aware of Grand Rapids, MN, until you mentioned it.

City of Grand Rapids - History:

Grand Rapids is a city in Itasca County, Minnesota, United States. The population was 10,869 at the 2010 census. "It is the county seat of Itasca County.
The city of Grand Rapids is named for the 3.5-mile (5.6 km) long local rapids in the Mississippi River, which was the uppermost limit of practical steamboat travel during the late 19th century. Today, those rapids are hidden underneath the dam of the Blandin Paper Mill. . . ."

Itasca Soil and Water Conservation District - Mississippi River - Grand Rapids:

"While the main stem of the Mississippi River flows from the U.S. Army Corp dam just west of Grand Rapids and flows south to where the Willow River flows into the Mississippi River SW of Palisade, the Mississippi River - Grand Rapids watershed also include all the area that collects water into smaller creeks and streams that eventually flow into the Mississippi River in this stretch. This begins at the northern most stretch of the watershed boundry that boarders the Laurentian Divide where a drop of water either flows north towards the Hudson Bay or south toward the Gulf of Mexico. . . ."

Icarus

I didn't know Grand Rapids was there until I looked at a map. I was thinking International Falls. But that city is almost part of Canada. I figure that it is wicked cold there in winter, either place, Twin Cities too.

billy rubin

set the function, not the mechanism.

Icarus

The annoyance that makes me grumpy is the new attack on our forum. We endured the excessive number of useless posts from Marcus with some degree of compassion.

Today we have discovered another ambitious individual who has posted numerous times in the last 24 hours. This one appears to be a preacher type person. He/she has not yet directly urged us to give our hearts and minds to Jesus. We are getting close however.

I suggest that we might spend a tiny bit of our collective intellectual energy to rescue this new person from his/her ignorance. We can do that in a most polite and considerate way. Imagine that we might save this one person from the debilitating grips of an ancient mythology.

Surely the act of proselytizing must be a two edged sword. Plus,we wont even ask him/her to put money into our HAF collection plate. 

If you opt to indulge with me, in such a worthy cause, remember to be gentle and considerate to this individual who has obviously been brain washed.... probably from birth.  :console:

billy rubin

if hes the kind of person who wil exchange ideas, im interested

if its just talking without listening, i am not so interested

set the function, not the mechanism.

Dark Lightning

My take is that the forum policy on preaching is well-founded. You can counter-proselytize if you want, Icarus, but I'm putting that flaming turd on ignore. The type is (sadly) willfully ineducable.

Tank

He's been given his first shot across the bows. If he engages on topic and does not preech he'll get to stay. If not he'll get the heave ho.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Icarus

I had in mind, to simply ask questions. Here is a starter. Questions: Why have these statistics not captured the attention of you and your peers? Do you intend to do something to alleviate these social problems? Will sufficient prayer mitigate these human faults?

https://www.lyingforjesus.org/Evidence-Based-Memes/Bible-Belt-Dysfunction.php

The Magic Pudding..

I love those fundamentalists in Israel.
They don't work or do military service.
They do such a lot of praying though.
Obviously god listens to his chosen.
Wish we had 'em, such valuable assets.
Israel would be in trouble without 'em.
If you suffer from cosmic vertigo, don't look.

The Magic Pudding..

Icarus:(paraphrasing) you foreigners wouldn't understand
Oh but we do but I wish I didn't
Just fund your government you fkn hypocritical %$*&^%$&*&#
Just spare me the latest game of chicken of these asswadgets
If you suffer from cosmic vertigo, don't look.

Dark Lightning

It only takes a few turds to spoil the punch. They're playing games with people's lives when the budget goes unfunded. Jacks up the economy, too. Closet(?) nihilists, the lot of them.

Tank

Quote from: Dark Lightning on October 01, 2023, 02:04:11 PMIt only takes a few turds to spoil the punch...

A few? What does the first one do? Add flavour!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.