News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Why I'm voting for Biden

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, August 21, 2020, 04:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluenose

To my American friends: Don't just vote for Biden, also vote to get his enablers tossed out of the Senate.

As an Aussie, I would really like to see a US President who is capable of speaking in complete sentences.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Bluenose on August 26, 2020, 01:09:52 AM
To my American friends: Don't just vote for Biden, also vote to get his enablers tossed out of the Senate.

[snip] I would really like to see a US President who is capable of speaking in complete sentences.

Seconded.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

No one

Dark Lightning

As much as I despise(d) Hilary, I still voted for her. A lot of baggage, there. But the "status quo" of that continuation of the government would have been a couple of orders of magnitude better than what we are experiencing in this "administration's" handling of pretty much everything. Anything positive one could say about this current "administration" could be basically chalked up to inertia from the previous years. While a president doesn't get much done in the first two years due to the inertia of the entire government, Obama had enough time to at least achieve a little before he ran out of years. I truly hope that we get a few administration's worth of reasonable leadership, after this chump debacle. I get that people are disgruntled, but the part I don't get is why the disgruntled people just don't get that their disgruntlement is caused by the very people whom they vote for.  :???:

Icarus

DL I submit that far too much of America is not paying attention.  In the broad scheme of things we are not a nation of  bright people.  Hillary was pretty close to reality when she ...unfortunately for her.......used the term: deplorables.

We have a majority who does not read, does not explore more than one Television network, is more interested in sitcoms than they are reliable information.  Newspapers are going out of business because people do not place much value in current events. Social media like Twitter and Facebook have taken the place of information sources that we once had.  Is it any wonder that Russian hackers can actually influence our thinking, that crackpot outfits like Qanon can alter our public perception???   I fear that our society is in a heap of trouble because we have lost our ability or even our desire to think in analytical terms devoid of emotional influence.

Tom62

I think that the media only makes things worse. On one side Trump is Orange Man bad and on the side Trump is the second coming of Christ. Both sites are very flexible with the truth; only post stuff that fits their narratives and offer nothing more than clickbaits. Now we've got social media as well, where any moron can post any kind of crap. And you've got loads of people believing that stuff.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Ecurb Noselrub

One of the lies the GOP tells about Biden is that he is a secret radical leftest or even Communist who will take away all our freedoms and destroy the country. They forget that Biden was already VP for 8 years with a president more liberal than him, and we did fine with no loss of freedom.  With him as President you expect pretty much what you've already seen.  My life was fine when he was No. 2 and I'm sure it will be when he is No. 1, especially if he has both the House and Senate backing him.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Icarus on August 26, 2020, 06:13:07 AM
DL I submit that far too much of America is not paying attention.  In the broad scheme of things we are not a nation of  bright people.  Hillary was pretty close to reality when she ...unfortunately for her.......used the term: deplorables.

We have a majority who does not read, does not explore more than one Television network, is more interested in sitcoms than they are reliable information.  Newspapers are going out of business because people do not place much value in current events. Social media like Twitter and Facebook have taken the place of information sources that we once had.  Is it any wonder that Russian hackers can actually influence our thinking, that crackpot outfits like Qanon can alter our public perception???   I fear that our society is in a heap of trouble because we have lost our ability or even our desire to think in analytical terms devoid of emotional influence.

Too true, sadly. I know people who are happy to be ignorant. It's looking more like "Bread and Circuses" all the time.

I'll admit I quite taking a newspaper, but it had more to do with them wanting $75 a month for an ever-thinning product. When I watch the news, I watch the culprits, not the people who spin it. At least, most of the time.

Randy

Quote from: Icarus on August 26, 2020, 06:13:07 AM
We have a majority who does not read, does not explore more than one Television network, is more interested in sitcoms than they are reliable information.
It sounds like someone I know all to well. He represents that very sentence. Let's not forget the right wing talk shows. I'm surprised they aren't sued for libel. Maybe they run it by their lawyers first to make sure it's okay to say.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

billy rubin

it's odd looking at the republicans. they have finally become the thing they used to detest-- fiscally irresponsible, anti-free trade, anti-universal suffrage, anti-big government, anti-world leadership, and so on.

they've become a modern day party of know-nothings. like the populist democratic party of william jennings bryan. and the democrats have become the party of the opposite-- fiscal balances, universal suffrage, world involvement and so on.

every political party morphs all th etime, but i look at the wild-eyed conspiracy theorists of the modern republicans with their racist hate, anti-science, anti-inclusivity aganda and just shake my head.

if trump loses in november, what will they do? try to continue the populism without him, bringing out ivanka or donald as their new leader? or try to return to the more responsible views they held pre-trump, and pretend that nothing ever happened?

we live in interesting times.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: billy rubin on August 26, 2020, 05:19:50 PM

if trump loses in november, what will they do? try to continue the populism without him, bringing out ivanka or donald as their new leader? or try to return to the more responsible views they held pre-trump, and pretend that nothing ever happened?

That's a good question.  Hope he does lose, but even then I suspect he will try to continue to lead the movement and maybe be some kind of shadow government.  Whatever he does, the goal will be to self-promote and make money for himself and his family.

No one

Legend has it that they will shrivel and wither and return to the cesspool from whence they came.

billy rubin

i do not think they will go away.

donald trump is not the problem. his success is a symptom of the problem.

the problem will outlast him.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Randy

I think Billy is onto something. Look at how many people voted for the buffoon. They like him. Despite the damage he's inflicted on the USA they like him and will most likely vote for him again.

I fear that the orange Cheeto is merely a symptom of a big problem or perhaps multiple problems would be more like it.

I'm voting for Biden (obvious by now) to see if he can make a dent in the afore mentioned damage.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Dark Lightning

As has been said many places across the internet, the chump is merely a representative of the people who elected him. A large portion of our country elected him. They'd be the same ones burning Obama in effigy after he was elected...and lynching black people in the south. It's pretty disgusting how a lot of people are.