News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Censoring of Conservative Voices by Social Media et al.

Started by Recusant, June 08, 2020, 06:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: Tom62 on June 19, 2020, 05:52:18 AM
The whole George Floyd thing has now become so politicized that I've lost my appetite.

Just watch him being murdered. The politics fall away then. :(
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tom62

Quote from: Tank on June 19, 2020, 08:44:32 AM
Quote from: Tom62 on June 19, 2020, 05:52:18 AM
The whole George Floyd thing has now become so politicized that I've lost my appetite.

Just watch him being murdered. The politics fall away then. :(

I've seen that, and I was disgusted by it. I'm even more disgusted by all these politicians and celebrities, who haven't done anything against police brutality in all those decades and are now acting as moral, virtuous, hypocritical dipshits.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Randy

Let's not forget the companies who are taking advantage of this whole thing. An example is Amazon Prime Video where the top row of films is in dedication to BLM. I haven't checked to see if any of them are for rent. In any case, to me it seems they are exploiting this for their gain.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Davin

Obama had the Justice Department overseeing police departments. Most Democrats supported it, most Republicans were against it. Jeff Sessions, under Trump, put a stop to it and the police departments lost all oversight with the power to fix things.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Recusant

On Candace Owens. Not an encomium.

"Candace Owens Is a Willing Tool of Republican Racists" | The Daily Beast

QuoteOwens gets trotted out when white conservatives want to illustrate their idea of a "good" Black— willing to label Black culture pathologically "broken," claim Black people are "pretending to be oppressed," and smear Black Lives Matter as "domestic terrorists." (And also, to misquote Harriet Tubman in a glorious display of historical ignorance and white supremacist revisionism intent on construing Black folks as their own oppressors.) Owens is the tokenized Black messenger white racists rely on to discredit millions of other Black voices demanding racial justice, whom they had no interest in hearing or heeding anyway. Her transformation into Republicans' Black mascot just proves that their gestures toward Black voters are always made in bad faith.

None of this is to suggest Owens is without agency or a naive victim of the Republican party. Rather, she seems to eagerly and proactively do white racists' dirty work, often in ways that conflict with her own past actions. As a teen in 2007, Owens sued and settled with the Stamford Board of Education after charging the district with failing to protect her from racist hate crimes by white classmates. But at a 2019 House hearing on hate crimes and the rise of white nationalism, Owens described the proceedings as Democratic "fearmongering, power and control." She has called the NAACP, the same group that helped generate the press that likely helped her secure her settlement, "one of the worst groups for Black people."

[Continues . . .]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tom62

Quote from: Recusant on October 12, 2020, 07:00:10 AM

QuoteOwens gets trotted out when white conservatives want to illustrate their idea of a "good" Black— willing to label Black culture pathologically "broken," claim Black people are "pretending to be oppressed," and smear Black Lives Matter as "domestic terrorists." (And also, to misquote Harriet Tubman in a glorious display of historical ignorance and white supremacist revisionism intent on construing Black folks as their own oppressors.) Owens is the tokenized Black messenger white racists rely on to discredit millions of other Black voices demanding racial justice, whom they had no interest in hearing or heeding anyway. Her transformation into Republicans' Black mascot just proves that their gestures toward Black voters are always made in bad faith.

None of this is to suggest Owens is without agency or a naive victim of the Republican party. Rather, she seems to eagerly and proactively do white racists' dirty work, often in ways that conflict with her own past actions. As a teen in 2007, Owens sued and settled with the Stamford Board of Education after charging the district with failing to protect her from racist hate crimes by white classmates. But at a 2019 House hearing on hate crimes and the rise of white nationalism, Owens described the proceedings as Democratic "fearmongering, power and control." She has called the NAACP, the same group that helped generate the press that likely helped her secure her settlement, "one of the worst groups for Black people."

[Continues . . .]

She doesn't come across as a victim to me. That just wonder makes who the author of that article considers to be racists? Anyone who is not on the left?
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Davin

[Continues . . .]
Yeah, pretty much nails it on the head.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Davin

Quote from: Tom62 on October 12, 2020, 12:23:32 PM
She doesn't come across as a victim to me. That just wonder makes who the author of that article considers to be racists? Anyone who is not on the left?

If you're honestly interested, I can help.

Recusant

The author names one prominent white racist Republican early in the article. The evidence of that racism has been readily available for decades.

We can look at Candace Owens in action, using an example provided in the article. The Central Park Five were shown to be innocent of the charges that they were convicted of. The actual perpetrator confessed, and DNA evidence recovered by investigators from the victim and the crime scene show that the confession is legitimate--the DNA is from the man who confessed. That man had no association with the Central Park Five until he met one of them in prison.

Yet Donald Trump continues to insist that the Central Park Five were and are guilty. In Donald Trump's world that's the way it has to be because Trump made a very big production at the time of calling for the Central Park Five to be executed. Trump is incapable of admitting he was so hugely wrong, so he carries on with his egregious falsehood, claiming that somehow the Five are guilty despite the evidence to the contrary.

What motivation might Candace Owens have for pushing the same false narrative as Donald Trump about the Central Park Five?
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Recusant on October 12, 2020, 10:29:43 PM
What motivation might Candace Owens have for pushing the same false narrative as Donald Trump about the Central Park Five?

My guess is she wants to ride a gravy train and is betting everything that Trump is it.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

xSilverPhinx

[Continues . . .]

I don't know much about Candace Owens and why she would be a willing tool of racists, her being a black woman herself, but this fascinates me. Why on Earth would anyone do that? Do they really wallow in so much self-loathing?
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dark Lightning

I don't think we have a black perspective to speak of here, so I'd have to guess that she is just hitching her wagon to the "leading" political party. Maybe it's just to make money? I personally can't see selling myself out like that.