News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Possible Anisotropy of the Universe

Started by Recusant, April 30, 2020, 06:29:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluenose

Quote from: Dark Lightning on May 02, 2020, 02:08:46 AM
Quote from: Bluenose on May 02, 2020, 01:30:29 AM
I read about this elsewhere.  I think together with the doubt that has been expressed about standard candles that in turn brings the whole concept of dark energy into doubt, we are in the midst of a new revolution of our understanding of the cosmos. Add to that the issues with the standard model revealed by the proton radius problem I think we are seeing a complete revolution of physics.  Exciting time to be a science geek!

Don't recall anything about a question for the standard candle, but the thing about physics, and any science in general, is that there is always more to learn. We only have approximations for whatever we observe. I suspect that by the time we figure it all out, we'll be dead, because that will be the end of the universe. :P

Article about standard candles not being so standard after all
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Bluenose on May 03, 2020, 06:19:22 AM
I read about this elsewhere.  I think together with the doubt that has been expressed about standard candles that in turn brings the whole concept of dark energy into doubt, we are in the midst of a new revolution of our understanding of the cosmos. Add to that the issues with the standard model revealed by the proton radius problem I think we are seeing a complete revolution of physics.  Exciting time to be a science geek!

Don't recall anything about a question for the standard candle, but the thing about physics, and any science in general, is that there is always more to learn. We only have approximations for whatever we observe. I suspect that by the time we figure it all out, we'll be dead, because that will be the end of the universe. :P

Oh. I was thinking of a "candle" candle, not a "star sized" candle. The variability of stars is an issue. At my alma mater, the solar observatory staff try to calibrate their equipment using the sun itself. It's a problem, of course, due to the sun's variability even in the short term. The electronics are not linear enough to be calibrated at a different input power level, though. Cosmologists make half their own trouble, with assumptions like the Cepheids being "standard" in some way.  :P

Bluenose

Quote from: Dark Lightning on May 03, 2020, 05:27:59 PM
Quote from: Bluenose on May 03, 2020, 06:19:22 AM

Oh. I was thinking of a "candle" candle, not a "star sized" candle. The variability of stars is an issue. At my alma mater, the solar observatory staff try to calibrate their equipment using the sun itself. It's a problem, of course, due to the sun's variability even in the short term. The electronics are not linear enough to be calibrated at a different input power level, though. Cosmologists make half their own trouble, with assumptions like the Cepheids being "standard" in some way.  :P

LOL about the candles thing...

It will prove to be a big embarrassment for cosmologists, because the Nobel Prize was awarded for the so called discovery of an accelerating expanding universe.  That is where the idea of dark energy was spawned to try to explain the acceleration.  But if the cepheid variables are not as consistent as had previously been thought then there may well be no acceleration and hence no dark energy.  Oh how embarrassment.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Dark Lightning

Variables won't, constants aren't- Osborn's Law.

It's still a guessing game with cosmology. Maybe I should stick around 'til the end of the universe to see who's right.  :)

Bluenose

Quote from: Dark Lightning on May 04, 2020, 03:31:15 PM
Variables won't, constants aren't- Osborn's Law.

It's still a guessing game with cosmology. Maybe I should stick around 'til the end of the universe to see who's right.  :)

:rofl:

GNU Terry Pratchett