News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Space Travel / Split From "THIS WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE FOREVER! [etc.]"

Started by Old Seer, June 21, 2020, 05:13:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Seer

Quote from: Recusant on June 24, 2020, 04:40:22 PM
Plenty of opinion, no data. There are people who have spent a fair amount of time and effort examining the possibilities, and I think they're more credible than a Smurf, even one who's smarter than Einstein.
https://youtu.be/Ez609kf49y8
The only thing possible the world needs saving from are the ones running it.
Oh lord, save us from those wanting to save us.
I'm not a Theist.

Randy

Not to drift away from the topic much I was wondering. This thread is under Dump Pile of Crazy Troll Posts which is under Operations Desk. I do not have visibility there. The only way to get to this thread is by clicking on "Recent Unread Topics" and hope that someone else has posted.

I've answered a couple of times I think on here about something that has nothing to do with the original topic but somehow branched into an interesting discussion that I enjoy talking about.

Is there anything that can be done like maybe break up the thread into two separate threads and put one under "Science"?
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Recusant

Quote from: Old Seer on June 24, 2020, 06:25:16 PM
Quote from: Recusant on June 24, 2020, 04:40:22 PM
Plenty of opinion, no data. There are people who have spent a fair amount of time and effort examining the possibilities, and I think they're more credible than a Smurf, even one who's smarter than Einstein.
https://youtu.be/Ez609kf49y8

OK then, your source is a YouTube video. I admire your confidence. Some might choose a more credible means of supporting their position, but you're apparently not bothered by such considerations. Normally I'm averse to people wasting my time by posting YouTube videos rather than proper responses, but I'll admit I see something of myself in you. I appreciate you posting here because it reminds me to try to avoid becoming too much like you. So I watched the video.

While it's not a bad video, nothing in it demonstrates that interstellar travel is impossible due to impacts of interstellar debris on interstellar ships. It certainly doesn't do anything to advance your position that the laws of physics prevent interstellar travel, either.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

Quote from: Randy on June 24, 2020, 04:58:12 PM
Another thing to consider about millennial travel. As the kids grow up, will they want to follow in their parent's footsteps (mine didn't) and take over the controls, the repairs that have to be made as things wear out, and so-on? Will they have the aptitude? Will they need to be forced to do these things?

Well if they don't follow on they'll die so I suspect that would be an incentive :)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Old Seer

Quote from: Randy on June 24, 2020, 06:49:40 PM
Not to drift away from the topic much I was wondering. This thread is under Dump Pile of Crazy Troll Posts which is under Operations Desk. I do not have visibility there. The only way to get to this thread is by clicking on "Recent Unread Topics" and hope that someone else has posted.

I've answered a couple of times I think on here about something that has nothing to do with the original topic but somehow branched into an interesting discussion that I enjoy talking about.

Is there anything that can be done like maybe break up the thread into two separate threads and put one under "Science"?
I agree. My original intent was to point out the a relation of Aliens to religious beliefs or claims, Not to prove foibles of space travel in general. I had no intention of getting into scientific discussions to this degree.
I'm not a Theist.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Randy on June 24, 2020, 04:58:12 PM
Another thing to consider about millennial travel. As the kids grow up, will they want to follow in their parent's footsteps (mine didn't) and take over the controls, the repairs that have to be made as things wear out, and so-on? Will they have the aptitude? Will they need to be forced to do these things?

Too right. My wife and I both have degrees in physics, but the most technical of our three sons only has an AS in engineering. But then he found a job at a hardware store mixing paint. I guess he'll be doing that for a few more years, as he shows no ambition to pursue engineering as a career. He got the degree a few years ago, and that's going to make getting a position all the harder. I know other people with technical degrees and their children tend not to go that direction, as well. If one were to use a millennium vessel, it would have to be immense in order to have enough people to provide the infrastructure for the technical training needed. That, or it has to be massively redundant and fail-safe (and completely automated), which we can't manage yet, and may never manage.

Smart money would be to send robotic ships first.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Dark Lightning on June 24, 2020, 11:37:04 PM

I expect the smart money will be to always send robotics ships, as nothing else is really practical.  Which is a great disappointment to my fantasies.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Old Seer

Randy brought up a point I haven't taken into account before. There will be children on board. I remember something I read way back that came to mind.
The crew of a spacecraft must be considered a component of the ship just as any other part or system. The most fragile of all the parts and systems will be the crew.
For me, it's the objects/debris in space. The longer a spacecraft exists the closer it moves toward the 100% destruction mark.
I'm not a Theist.

billy rubin

why would we be doing this?

not meaning to be contrary, but i m curious as to the purpose

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Sandra Craft on June 24, 2020, 11:53:48 PM
Quote from: Dark Lightning on June 24, 2020, 11:37:04 PM

I expect the smart money will be to always send robotics ships, as nothing else is really practical.  Which is a great disappointment to my fantasies.

Take a sex robot with you! There's some fantasy for you! :lol: You'll die happy during an orgasm when that bit of cosmic flotsam/jetsam/debris hits you!  ;D

No one

Recusant

Quote from: Randy on June 24, 2020, 06:49:40 PM

Thank you for pointing out this issue. I just checked on a couple of test accounts. Neither have any posts, so they're one step above guests. On the one I didn't see the Dump Pile. On the other, it was in its normal place. I'm not sure what the difference is between the two. I'll have to investigate further. Meanwhile I'll review the thread and look for a reasonable spot to do a thread split.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Old Seer

Quote from: billy rubin on June 25, 2020, 01:09:46 AM

Fascination, Science interests, And the best answer---physicist just are like that. At 16 I planned on going to the moon, and at that time knowing the concept and dangers, I still wanted to go. A spacecraft is an air tank with a motor  on it. The rest is the problem. Do I want to go still, no, I became to sensible for that. I think the idea is stupid, a waste of time, and I'm still fascinated by the idea, engineering, gadgets and gizmos, and today we have more flashing and blinking lights. There are those of our society who have progressed but remaining in their childhood fascinations and interests. I say hooray for them. I have the time in my retirement to resume my childhood on other things. It's teaching the great grand kids how to goof off and get into mischief.   :) -------------------and avoid getting caught.
I'm not a Theist.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Old Seer on June 25, 2020, 02:52:07 AM

Fascination, Science interests, And the best answer---physicist just are like that. At 16 I planned on going to the moon, and at that time knowing the concept and dangers, I still wanted to go. A spacecraft is an air tank with a motor  on it. The rest is the problem. Do I want to go still, no, I became to sensible for that. I think the idea is stupid, a waste of time, and I'm still fascinated by the idea, engineering, gadgets and gizmos, and today we have more flashing and blinking lights. There are those of our society who have progressed but remaining in their childhood fascinations and interests. I say hooray for them. I have the time in my retirement to resume my childhood on other things. It's teaching the great grand kids how to goof off and get into mischief.   :) -------------------and avoid getting caught.

Given the amount of shenanigans I pulled as a kid that didn't end up leaving me maimed, deaf or blind (mostly just by happenstance), I watched my sons like a hawk. They still pulled all kinds of potentially life-threatening shenanigans! It's in the genes, I guess. Now, if my sons would see fit to spawn, I'd have a great time with the grandkids! Crazy grandpa FTW! :lol:

Randy

Right now it doesn't make any sense and is very cost prohibitive. Somewhere down the road, Earth may start to become inhabitable. Perhaps we want to continue the human race.

We'd need to find a planet that can support our kind of life. And then we need to find ways to inoculate ourselves against possible plagues. We'd need to figure out which fruit and animal life (should there be either) that we can eat. We'd also need a way to build weapons and ammunition as the ones we carry with us will eventually wear out and run out of ammo.

I think getting to wherever is half the problem. It's surviving once arrived.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg