News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

animals in your life

Started by billy rubin, April 23, 2020, 01:04:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

billy rubin

spittle bugs!

saw the first ones this morning in the lane to the warehouse

they wetr everywhere. live inside the little foamy mssses where stuff cant eat em

cercopidae, of the hemipterans.

mote pitchers, if theyll load.

last night wad the first night of the year for the lightning bugs too.

all kinds of stuff lives here if you dont spray. l

right now its evening, and im listening to the agelaius defending theirvterritory. this morning i thought i saw the bobolink that returns every year. not sure as it was distant.

eastern bluebirds as well. havent seen the flycatchers yet

and the chimney swifts are swooping in and out of the warehouse, chittering the whole time. we have two unused chimneys up at the house that they live in all spring and summer

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Icarus

My backyard bird feeder is a source of wonder sometimes.  A redheaded woodpecker will rap on the feeder if it is empty.  He is either telling me that I need to fill the feeder, or he is trying to rattle any remaining sunflower seeds out of the feeder. Clever bird.

There is a certain Blue Jay who has the habit of pecking at the perch stick that he is standing on. Why? I have no idea. Other BJs have no such habit.

Today in early afternoon there were five different kinds of birds at or within ten feet of the feeder, all at the same time. I was pleased to observe that they were politely taking turns at the platform that holds the seeds.

billy rubin

the sparrow hawks are fledging. time is running by at breakneck speed. summer in three weeks.

https://photos.google.com/direct/AF1QipPh3S50LnKv5mrENavOe9hj8mZidwhaT6W7PCX5hqUTRd-XrPX6wltsaeifeFrRCg/photo/AF1QipNJm3dx3vh_tOr_pmNFW8s6gBsq91ZTGKA08Sfz

anyway, this one popped down and got stuck in the tall grass, so my loveley wife picked it up and set it on the old chicken run before the cats could find it. turn the sound on.

iasked her whether the parents were upset, and she said . . .yes. you can hear them freaking out in th etreetops

sparrow hawks are small, but fierce.

the toads are still trilling, and the hyla versicolor are still calling. but the equinozx is approaching.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

billy rubin

dammit none of my videos will load.

so you cant see the kittens growing up to be fierce, cant hear th elast of the tree frogs in the spring, cant listen to the rustling of the cottonwoods in the wind, cant even see th eswallowtail barn swallows flitting in and out of the warehouse this morning.

high tech has precluded all of this art.

billy rubin

doggone it this is all i have

. . . and none of the linkls will play.

phooey

billy rubin

billy rubin

billy rubin

hermes2015

Quote from: billy rubin on June 06, 2022, 12:47:04 AMdoggone it this is all i have

phooey

The first and third one are the same and play when I copy the links, but the second one is a problem.

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Recusant

Quote from: billy rubin on June 06, 2022, 12:47:04 AMdoggone it this is all i have

phooey

The new software has its own way.

If you're manually inserting YouTube links, you need to copy the section of the address following "v=" up to the ampersand. That is the identifying portion of the address of a YouTube video.

The first video posted above will display using the following code:

[youtube]tGhiZoDsmLA[/youtube]

If you use the YouTube button on the post editing page, it should give a pop-up asking you to copy/paste the full video address. The software will strip all extraneous text from the YouTube address once you click "Insert" in that pop-up. Doesn't work for mp4 videos I'm afraid, nor Vimeo.

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Icarus

If you have a few minutes, take a look at this TED talk.

billy rubin

no pictures but the female raccoon we rsised has come back.

with four babies.

shes still nuts for bananas.

billy rubin

you furriners arent lucky enough to have mockingbirds.

whenever youre outside and you hear seventeen different species of bird calling one after another from tbe same tree, yku can bet its a mockingbird.

mimus polyglottis, or, many-throated mimic