News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

animals in your life

Started by billy rubin, April 23, 2020, 01:04:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

Quote from: Icarus on June 12, 2021, 03:15:50 AM
The big ones are only about 8 inhces (20 cm) long.  The little guys are sometimes only 2 inches long until they eat enough bugs to mature.

green anoles?

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Icarus

They are mostly brown often with stripes from head to tail. Sometimes black ones that  have a slightly different appearance.  Never green ones but the residents do have different hues of whatever color they have.

billy rubin

in houston the little green anoles live in the shrubbery all over town.

cant get an image link on phone

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/features/os-picures-green-anoles-the-lizard-of-florida-20130605-photogallery.html

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

billy rubin

i sleep by a railroad siding here in appalachia, in pennsylvania. at night there are american toads, chorus frogs, and some large ranid that i absolutely cannot identify yet.

this morning there was a line of tracks from a larger mammal, the american whitetailed deer. used to be Odocoileus virginiana, before that Dama spp., now i believe the name has changed again

these are common around here, more of them than at any time since the ice retreated, in fact. theyre pretty dangerous at night because tbey leap on front of moving vehicles, and around here tbey can weigh 250 pounds. a big mule deer in the west is only 120

the first time i saw one of these cross the road i thought it was a heifer

billy rubin

peregrine falcon nest at the sandyard.

the definition of birdbrain:

looky i hav bilt my nest on top of the litening rod

Ecurb Noselrub

Once , in Big Bend National Park, I was walking the South Rim. I heard what I thought was a jet plane. It was a peregrine falcon, diving over the desert. It was phenomenal. It is one of the most amazing events of my life.

billy rubin

got home and pulled my bedding out of the truck to wash.

not yet i guess

billy rubin

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on June 19, 2021, 10:56:09 PM
Once , in Big Bend National Park, I was walking the South Rim. I heard what I thought was a jet plane. It was a peregrine falcon, diving over the desert. It was phenomenal. It is one of the most amazing events of my life.

ive never seen em dive. they say they do over 200 mph

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: billy rubin on June 24, 2021, 02:58:01 AM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on June 19, 2021, 10:56:09 PM

ive never seen em dive. they say they do over 200 mph

I do not doubt it.  It looked like a secret weapon. They nest in Casa Grande, a table top rock in Big Bend.

billy rubin

i dont believe this

i was hungry, so i ate the last two or three chocolate chip cookies.

then the wandering raccoon showed up, and my lovely wife is scrounging t he kitchen for something to feed him. and making silly raccoon trilling sounds.

she gave him a banana for crying out loud.

which he happily accepted and then ran away into the night. bananas are not a natural food fo a raccoon.

but then i guess neither are chocolate chip cookies

billy rubin

here it is the little bastard

https://youtu.be/v1aO4AsllVg

im sorry i sound like such a fool. i am a fool, i cannot help it, but pay attention to the raccoon

Anne D.

The raccoon's banana feeding is pretty darn adorable. I'm surprised he's (she's ?) not going after the big bowl of cat food.

billy rubin

whenever o go out in the early morning, there's a raccoon in that cat food, who just looks up at me with a , what, its taken you a shit load of time to get up. where's my banana?

i think its a wandering raccoon. the ones we raised have wandered off to look for bananas lsewhere. even the possums have moved on to snails and crawdads elsewhere.

but i stll wake up with a kitten on my chest looking deeply into my eyes, and asking, now is breakfast?

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

billy rubin