Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

animals in your life

Started by billy rubin, April 23, 2020, 01:04:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

went to the creek with my net for fish

no darters, dammit. i wanted darters.

but i got two species of minnows, little buggers.

one bluntnose minnow, Pimephales notatus, and three little things that are either minnows, shiners, or chubs, cant tell.

i really wanted darters, but i didn't even see any. usually you can see them perched on the bottom, but not now. i'm either too late, or too early, or they aren't/won't be there.

and look at the pictures. these are so bad i'm posting every one.

i'll work on my ophotography later. maybe i'll still get some darters

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Magdalena

Quote from: billy rubin on May 11, 2021, 05:11:02 PM
back at the home ranch for a week.
here they are the little bastards.

two in my bedroom, now in a cardboard box instead of my underwear

three still in the linen closet but loose on the floor for the first time last night

and behibd the couch in the living room, three more

if i were a mountain stream i'd be infested with salmon

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

billy rubin

i love cats.

but jeez, there's just flat too many to deal with.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Magdalena

Quote from: billy rubin on May 14, 2021, 01:59:24 AM
i love cats.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

billy rubin

this morning the linen closet kittens were all over the hall

Randy

Quote from: billy rubin on May 14, 2021, 01:59:24 AM
i love cats.

As a family in a single household we have seven cats in all. I don't remember how we collected them but they rarely come into my room so I don't think about them much.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

xSilverPhinx

Welp, Joy is in heat now. Oh joy hehe. So far the young male, Iago, hasn't been successful in copulating with her, though he constantly tries.

:notsure: At least I don't think he has...I can't say what goes on when I turn off the lights at night.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

billy rubin

new baby chicks

film at 11

billy rubin

at the moment we have only two hens and th turkey. no rooster for a long while. we used to have mexican fighting chickens, sixty or so at a time. strange story. anyway one of the hens went broody two weeks sgo and hss been sitting on two fake bait eggs the whole time. so my lovely wife went and got some chicks and stuffed em under her butt. dunno what kind or how many

the hen didnt know what to mske of it as we were making her skip steps but if she takes to the chicks it will be best for everybody.

we ll see tomorrow

billy rubin

took the number three son to the creek to see if we could get any darters.

we did not get any darters.

but we got some pollywogs. Rana catesbiena, the american bullfrog. only about the size of my thumb. 2.5-3.0 inches

bullfrogs get pretty big. not so many here in ohio. when i was a kid on the prairies i used to shoot them for dinner, but now i just listen to em sing after dark. not interested in killing them anymore.

and some others too small to identify

and some water striders, gerridae, species unklnown. family is good enough for insects, for me

and some more minnows

^^^these little bastards hide under the rocks, which is why they're hard to catch.

but the piece de resistance are two--not one, but two--little efts. dunno what they are? notopthalmes, or maybe eurycea?

can't get pictures opf the little salamanders because they immediately ran under the rocks and stayed there. but they both have gills, so they're okay in the tank for the moment. i'll see if they come out after dark. cool little buggers. can't keep the bullfrog pollywog in with em, or they will be turned into dinner, so it will have to go back to the creek

got some crawdads as well but i know better than to put them in the tank, because they eat the fish. so they got tossed right back into the water.

but for the moment all is well.

i picked up some wads of spyrogyra to get some greenery in there. but its pelagic and is now stuck to the filter intake.

billy rubin

five more

this makes seventeen, i think

Tank

I think this makes you crazy cat man!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

no, i am actually the crazy father, and the crazier husband.

i am more interested in household harmony than i am in cat reduction, and so i don't take matters into my own hands without everybody else going along.

i have agreement with the household that the kittens will all be given away, so i'm resting on that. if the coyotes were doing thier job, we wouldn't as many adults either. i don't know what's the matter with the coyotes.

billy rubin

here's one. hard to get a picture because i move th erocks and then i'm looking down through a mobile surface that the focus can't deal with

i don't think these will do well on a sandy bottom. probably the bullfrogs won't either. but i'll leave them in for two weeks and make sure the family feeds em a lot, since there's more biomass in there than usual

Magdalena