News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

RIP walter mondale

Started by billy rubin, April 20, 2021, 03:01:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

walter mondale has died. the only presidential candidate i have ever voted for, as opposed to voting against someone else.

https://apnews.com/article/ronald-reagan-geraldine-ferraro-minnesota-minneapolis-elections-477ae25251f91dd33d83883f08fadfef

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Bad Penny II

Quote from: billy rubin on April 20, 2021, 03:01:57 AM
walter mondale has died. the only presidential candidate i have ever voted for, as opposed to voting against someone else.

What was his appeal?
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

billy rubin

walter mondale was an avowed liberal, with apoint of view about the social contract that reflected my own about where the country was supposed to go, as opposed to his opponent, ronald reagan.

he was also honest.

mondale told the americans this, about ronald reagan, in these exact words:

the truth is, that we're both going to raise taxes. he won't tell you. i just did.

reagan lied about raising taxes, and was elected. then he raised taxes on gasoline, and to avoid accountability called it "user fees."

the resutl of it all was that eagan presided over the beginning of the decline of modern america.

he cut taxes, like all republicans since, but refused to to cut spending, like all republicans since. his presidency saw the american budget deficit skyrocket, which every republican administration since has repeated, most recently donald trumps.

since the time of walter mondale, the standard of living among america's middle and working classes has stagnated. the rich have gotten vastly richer, the poor are living in the streets, and the middle class is now working two jobs to pay for what their parents cound do on one. and the rich buy more yachts and use the poor to fund their lifestyles i think it was was the book of sirach that stated:

the poor are the pastures of the rich . . . .

remember that jeff bezos guy?

forbes magazine estimates that his personal fortune is worth 200 billion dollars.

get out your calculator.

if you make US$10,000 every day, seven days a week, 365 days  a year, how many years will it take you to be as rich as jeff bezos is today?

do the math, and you can see why walter mondale appealed to me.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Ecurb Noselrub

In retrospect, he was a decent person, which is rare in politics today.

billy rubin

well, you have said it in fewer words