Started by Whitney, April 30, 2011, 02:06:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claireliontamer

Quote from: Tank on April 02, 2016, 05:56:56 PM
Quote from: Claireliontamer on April 02, 2016, 05:40:06 PM
Quote from: Tank on April 02, 2016, 11:34:17 AM

Hmmmm, don't agree with this one!
It is pretty un-PC  ;)

I saw this after spending most of the day after trying to deal with a case of bullying. A Y11 girl in my school, is incredibly intelligent and is the only girl in the school to wear a headscarf and show visibly she's a Muslim.  Truth be told on speaking to her about science, evolution, origins of the universe etc she's not religious in her thinking at all and is looking to study Physics to a more advanced level. However, she identifies as a Muslim and like I say visibly makes this known too. The amount of abuse this girl gets on a daily basis is awful. Verbally from other kids in the school, verbally from adults as she walks down the street (she's physically a small person, looks only about 12), she's even been attacked physically by other kids.  All because of this message / joke that all Muslims must be carrying bombs.  Her potentially high grades are now suffering and who is she turning to for support, yep the only people who seem to be supportive: the elders potentially more religious people at the mosque.

All images like this do is perpetuate this I'm afraid.

Siz

You might be right Claire, but the scary thing is that there are at least 6 bombers in this photo that could go off any minute...

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Tank

Quote from: Claireliontamer on April 03, 2016, 07:52:36 AM

It is pretty un-PC  ;)

I saw this after spending most of the day after trying to deal with a case of bullying. A Y11 girl in my school, is incredibly intelligent and is the only girl in the school to wear a headscarf and show visibly she's a Muslim.  Truth be told on speaking to her about science, evolution, origins of the universe etc she's not religious in her thinking at all and is looking to study Physics to a more advanced level. However, she identifies as a Muslim and like I say visibly makes this known too. The amount of abuse this girl gets on a daily basis is awful. Verbally from other kids in the school, verbally from adults as she walks down the street (she's physically a small person, looks only about 12), she's even been attacked physically by other kids.  All because of this message / joke that all Muslims must be carrying bombs.  Her potentially high grades are now suffering and who is she turning to for support, yep the only people who seem to be supportive: the elders potentially more religious people at the mosque.

I hear what you say. The Muslim guy at work thought it was hysterically funny. Sometimes being politically correct is perceived as patronising and showing a picture like this to a Muslim gives them a chance to express their own disgust at the 1 in 10,000 that are the bombers.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Tank on April 03, 2016, 09:36:35 AM
Quote from: Claireliontamer on April 03, 2016, 07:52:36 AM

It is pretty un-PC  ;)

I hear what you say. The Muslim guy at work thought it was hysterically funny. Sometimes being politically correct is perceived as patronising and showing a picture like this to a Muslim gives them a chance to express their own disgust at the 1 in 10,000 that are the bombers.

Maybe the Muslim guy you work with only went along with you because he privately disagrees with you, but wants desperately fit in?

Not saying this is necessarily the case Tank, and my following comment isn't directed at you specifically.

I'm speaking more about the way the term Political Correctness is used in current discussions these day, especially here in the US, I mean it's a favorite word on the lips of all of the GOP candidates.

I work with extremely conservative people, and when someone says something inappropriate, that I would deem racist, misogynistic or homophobic I have no choice, but to offer a smile or nod my head in affirmation. (I'm not talking blatant hate remarks)

It happened the other day, I was in the lunch room with the VP of our company and we had the news on the TV, and he made an off the cuff remark about POC.

He started off his remark by saying, "I know this isn't politically correct, but"...

What can I do in that situation?

The world has become a globalized, multi-cultural world, and there are many folks who harbor hatred to those of different races, religion, ethnicity, and sexual orientation.
Instead of working to correct themselves or understand those who are different, they want to blame the fact that their personal bigotries are no longer acceptable to the outside world, by claiming it's simply political correctness gone to far, not that the fact that their views are not only no longer acceptable, but wrong and hateful.

Anyway, just my thoughts on a Sunday morning...
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

jumbojak

Quote from: Bruno de la Pole on April 03, 2016, 04:42:26 PMHe started off his remark by saying, "I know this isn't politically correct, but"...

You could correct him. That's normally what I would do, or at least express some displeasure at the remark, but I'm poor so your mileage may vary. It depends what you value more; your principles or money. 

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: jumbojak on April 03, 2016, 06:17:23 PM
Quote from: Bruno de la Pole on April 03, 2016, 04:42:26 PMHe started off his remark by saying, "I know this isn't politically correct, but"...

You could correct him. That's normally what I would do, or at least express some displeasure at the remark, but I'm poor so your mileage may vary. It depends what you value more; your principles or money.

That's correct, and maybe if his comment was extremely egregious I may have, at best it was disagreeable. That's my point though, often times we may hold our tongues when a part of us wants to speak out, and in this case I probably could have as he is a very decent man, and our relationship is solid. However, at the time I was extremely busy and was only having lunch with him because my boss who will usually dine with him was on vacation.

Or maybe I wouldn't, I had a lot of work I needed to get done that day, and really didn't want to get caught up in a long discussion plus, our office is getting ready to move to another building in a month or so and he is very tense and anxious about the move, so probably not the best time to call him out as being a bit racist. And as I do value my position, and my current stake in the company I held my tongue for what was a somewhat comment, but slight discretion.

Other times I may simply have not had the spoons to deal with it.

Which gets us back to the original thought, that many folks may want to speak out, or disagree with a comment or an email they see in the workplace and they decide that feeding their family is more important.

I think we have to choose our battles wisely is all I'm saying.

So maybe Tanks co-worker honestly found the meme funny, or maybe he didn't and wanting to fit in he held is tongue. Only he and/or Tank would know, and I don't mean to sound as if I truly believe he didn't, I was only surmising for the sake of the discussion.

Even if he did think it funny, just because he happens to be a Muslim doesn't make it right or correct. My wife has friends and  acquaintances from Mexico and Central America who support Trump (Crazy right?), doesn't validate or make Trumps bigoted remarks about Mexicans or immigrants any less derogatory or inflammatory.

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Essie Mae

Maybe I'm still a bit jet-lagged but I don't get the pic. A muslim teacher colleague once told me a really dirty, (and funny) joke about the nativity which didn't offend per se, (I was still a believer then), but I just wondered how she would have taken a similar joke about her deity. I did ask her but she just told me I had no sense of humour. And sadly, no,I can't remember the joke.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Tank

Quote from: Essie Mae on April 04, 2016, 09:00:43 PM
Maybe I'm still a bit jet-lagged but I don't get the pic. A muslim teacher colleague once told me a really dirty, (and funny) joke about the nativity which didn't offend per se, (I was still a believer then), but I just wondered how she would have taken a similar joke about her deity. I did ask her but she just told me I had no sense of humour. And sadly, no,I can't remember the joke.
It's a picture play on an old PC game called minesweeper. The implication is that there are things ready to explode.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Essie Mae

Thank you. I didn't have a sufficiently misspent youth.

Tank

Quote from: Essie Mae on April 04, 2016, 10:14:48 PM
Thank you. I didn't have a sufficiently misspent youth.

Here's a screen shot.

Crow

Same deity and they also view Jesus as a prophet slightly under the hierarchy of Mo. Unless you are directly insulting a Christian or the Jesus as a god you are pretty much making a joke that also encapsulates Muslims.

Hmmm come to think of it that also means when you make a joke about any god you also insult the Muslims. So when someone says would you make a joke about a Muslim many of the jokes you can retort "I just did". Though you don't really seem like the person that makes jokes at the expense of others.
Retired member.

Essie Mae

Quote from: Crow on April 05, 2016, 01:07:33 AM

Same deity and they also view Jesus as a prophet slightly under the hierarchy of Mo. Unless you are directly insulting a Christian or the Jesus as a god you are pretty much making a joke that also encapsulates Muslims.

Hmmm come to think of it that also means when you make a joke about any god you also insult the Muslims. So when someone says would you make a joke about a Muslim many of the jokes you can retort "I just did". Though you don't really seem like the person that makes jokes at the expense of others.
No, I'm not although I do sometimes laugh at doubtful jokes. Well I just can't help it - the whole business of religion and peoples' sensibilities can be so ridiculous. I just like people who dish it out to take it when the tables are turned.

Firebird

"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Icarus

Whew, that's a smashing one Firebird.  Unfortunately only a few of us seem to be capable disposed to grasp such simple logic.

Pasta Chick