News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

That "Parallel Universe" Tabloid Science Noise

Started by Recusant, May 22, 2020, 05:40:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

Probably at least some of the members of this site have come across some iteration of this story. I think it was originally pooted out by somebody at the Daily Star, a tabloid in the UK. It regards the possible implications of some anomalous findings from a balloon-based neutrino observatory in Antarctica. From the Daily Star (or wherever it originated) the story has been bouncing around for the last several days, appearing in equally reputable infotainment outlets.

It comes (rather loosely, as these stories always do) from an article published last month in a reputable science magazine. In that article a speculative cosmological model is discussed. The anomalous findings in Antarctica may be evidence supporting the cosmological model, but that's a far cry from "discovering a parallel Universe."

So first, here's a dropbox link to a plain text version of the original article.

Further reading about this particular flight of the tabloid science shitbirds:

"Scientists Deny Finding Evidence of Parallel Universe Where Time Goes Backwards" | The Independent

"Here's The Real Truth Behind That Viral 'NASA Finds Parallel Universe' Story" | ScienceAlert
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

No one

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Magdalena

Thank you very much for clearing that up, Recusant:news:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Randy

I had not heard about this until now. I'm not sure why. I'm trying to follow the news a little bit more as we have an election coming up.

Anyway, I found the article in The Independent enlightening for different reasons. I wasn't looking for a parallel universe so much as I wanted to know what was truly discovered and the truth is more interesting than the fiction.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Recusant

The original article that I linked is actually decent. When the tabloids got their hooks into it and turned it into incoherent clickbait, things went downhill.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Recusant

Quote from: Magdalena on May 23, 2020, 12:22:52 AM

:)  Did you come across the garbled version before I posted?

— H. L. Mencken

Magdalena

Quote from: Recusant on May 23, 2020, 02:08:25 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on May 23, 2020, 12:22:52 AM

:)  Did you come across the garbled version before I posted it?
I did. My daughter sent me the article. I thought it was too good to be true. I wanted it to be true, but when I got to the end of the article and read:
Quote...The data is still being assessed, and they haven't completely ruled out the possibility that the data is the result of a malfunction with ANITA, per Newshub.
...I thought this sounds more reasonable.
:sad sigh:

This is the article:
https://www.thrillist.com/news/nation/nasa-detects-parallel-universe-antarctica-cosmic-ray-shower
Not sure how reliable the Thrillist is.  :notsure:

Edit: Added link.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Recusant

— H. L. Mencken

Recusant

I think that piece, and others like it, are disgraceful. The headline gets clicks, and perhaps some people are satisfied with the babble they get, assuming they bother to read further than a few lines. The headline is dishonest though, and so is the story. Parts of the story are accurate enough, and it's informative as well.

The problem is the dishonesty will inevitably be exposed. At that point, all of the accurate information in the story is thrown into doubt along with the bullshit the writer and the headline editor lathered on to concoct some clickbait. Their willingness to cater to greed brings discredit to journalism, and science as well. So it goes.
— H. L. Mencken

No one

The creature you are describing sounds nothing like the ethical, principled human beings I am accustomed to.

Surely you jest.

Randy

I'm surprised my caretaker hasn't mentioned it yet. She knows that I'd find stuff like that fascinating. After all, she gets her news from the most reliable source -- Facebook.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg