News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

When was last time they asked that?

Started by Bad Penny II, March 13, 2019, 12:03:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Penny II

I'm watching a movie called "Brimstone"

QuoteBrimstone is a 2016 western thriller film written and directed by Martin Koolhoven, starring Dakota Fanning, Guy Pearce, Kit Harington, and Carice van Houten.[4] The film is a Dutch-American as well as French, German, Belgian and Swedish international production.

Liz lives with her husband Eli and two children in the old west, one of which is a boy from her husband's prior marriage, and the other is a young girl. Liz is a midwife who can hear but communicates through sign language. A new minister comes to their church, and the moment that Liz hears his voice, she seems to recognize him and is terrified. The same day Liz is forced to choose between a delivering a baby safely or saving its mother, and the father Nathan blames and threatens Liz.

When was the last time the question was posed, save the mother or the child?
The question almost makes me vomit my kidneys but it was a thing.

Can you shut up so we can watch Guy being the sinister minister?
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Bad Penny II

I didn't like that movie, much violence against women and children.
May appeal to some.

The question still stands:

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Bad Penny II on March 13, 2019, 02:46:29 PM
I didn't like that movie, much violence against women and children.
May appeal to some.

The question still stands:

No idea. :notsure:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Recusant

I'm pretty sure it happens several times daily, at various locations in the world, including in developed countries with excellent health care. A look at the ethical questions, aimed at expecting families:

"Who Matters More? 15 Decisions That Go Into Saving Mom Or The Baby" | Babygaga

QuoteIn developed countries, it's hard to to imagine that a choice would ever need to be made whether to save mom or the baby during birth.  However, alarming studies show that this is an issue, and as safety for babies during labor goes up, safety for moms is going down in the United States.

Sometimes there are situations where the safety of both is at risk, and a choice has to be made: should the mother or the baby be saved?  This can happen when labor goes wrong, when something is wrong with the baby, or when a split-second decision has to be made that will end the life of one person.

[Continues . . .]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Sandra Craft

The last time I remember coming across it was many years ago when I was reading a memoir by Pearl S. Buck and she recounted a time her parents were faced with that choice.  Her father told the doctor to try to save his wife, which the doctor was able to do by sacrificing the baby.  This caused a permanent rift between Buck's parents because her mother was never able to forgive her husband for choosing her instead of their child.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Icarus

^ Either an unbelievably noble woman or a pretty dense one.  How could she not recognize and even revel in the knowledge that her husbands love for her transcended any alternative outcome? 

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Icarus on April 01, 2019, 12:21:33 AM
^ Either an unbelievably noble woman or a pretty dense one.  How could she not recognize and even revel in the knowledge that her husbands love for her transcended any alternative outcome?

:notsure: Maybe her maternal instinct had kicked in so strongly she could not accept that the unborn child had been sacrificed in order to save her. Pregnancy changes the mother's brain, and most bond strongly with the baby growing inside them.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sandra Craft

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 01, 2019, 12:38:24 AM
Quote from: Icarus on April 01, 2019, 12:21:33 AM

:notsure: Maybe her maternal instinct had kicked in so strongly she could not accept that the unborn child had been sacrificed in order to save her. Pregnancy changes the mother's brain, and most bond strongly with the baby growing inside them.

I think it was this, coupled with being extremely religious (Buck's parents were missionaries). 
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany