News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Creationist perspective on defecation?

Started by cewbs, July 21, 2008, 07:21:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cewbs

Hi all,

I've often asked myself what creationists think of the human digestive system and, specifically, of poo.
Whenever I ponder this, a number of fascinating questions come to mind. According to creationists, I wonder:
  • Does god have an anus, or is the anus something we acquired because of the orinal sin?
  • Does god consciously design each of my stools?
  • Is god present in my poo in the same way that he is in all of creation?
  • Why did god make defecation such a varied experience, covering a wide spectrum from rejuvenatingly pleasant to excruciatingly painful?
  • Why did god design the human digestive system such that it employs such wasteful mechanisms? Why are human faeces not more useful? Why is the system not more robust and predictable? As an engineer, I often think I could do a better job (particularly when I'm wrestling with constipation).
  • Why does our view of poo tend to change during childhood, i.e. why does god ensure that we progressively develop what feels like an instinctive repulsion to our own (and others') waste?

And so on - the list of questions is endless.

As you can probably tell, my understanding of creationism is limited; furthermore, I don't have any creationist acquaintances. Consequently, I'd really like to hear a genuine creationist talk seriously about bowel movements.

I realise there won't be a vast number of creationists reading an atheist forum, but at a glance, I have found that creationist  forums tend to be mostly full of emotional responses to these sorts of questions. I'm more interested in a thorough, informative response which would give me a real insight into a creationist's relationship with defecation and faecal matter. :)

Do you have any thoughts on this? Any links or material which might help me on my quest?
(Seriously.)

All the best,
cewbs.

myleviathan

Quote from: "cewbs"Hi all,

I've often asked myself what creationists think of the human digestive system and, specifically, of poo.
Whenever I ponder this, a number of fascinating questions come to mind. According to creationists, I wonder:
  • Does god have an anus, or is the anus something we acquired because of the orinal sin?
  • Does god consciously design each of my stools?
  • Is god present in my poo in the same way that he is in all of creation?
  • Why did god make defecation such a varied experience, covering a wide spectrum from rejuvenatingly pleasant to excruciatingly painful?
  • Why did god design the human digestive system such that it employs such wasteful mechanisms? Why are human faeces not more useful? Why is the system not more robust and predictable? As an engineer, I often think I could do a better job (particularly when I'm wrestling with constipation).
  • Why does our view of poo tend to change during childhood, i.e. why does god ensure that we progressively develop what feels like an instinctive repulsion to our own (and others') waste?

And so on - the list of questions is endless.

As you can probably tell, my understanding of creationism is limited; furthermore, I don't have any creationist acquaintances. Consequently, I'd really like to hear a genuine creationist talk seriously about bowel movements.

I realise there won't be a vast number of creationists reading an atheist forum, but at a glance, I have found that creationist forums tend to be mostly full of emotional responses to these sorts of questions. I'm more interested in a thorough, informative response which would give me a real insight into a creationist's relationship with defecation and faecal matter. :idea:
"On the moon our weekends are so far advanced they encompass the entire week. Jobs have been phased out. We get checks from the government, and we spend it on beer! Mexican beer! That's the cheapest of all beers." --- Ignignokt & Err

MariaEvri

I have a question about poo myself, but not human poo. I wanna know what the hell God was thinking when he made the hippos actually spray theyr ehm.. poo ono theyr defeated opponents
he sure ahs some sick humour
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

curiosityandthecat

Hmm... this could be an interesting question regarding the nature of perfection. Does the presence of a poo-making organ attribute to God's supposed perfection, or is it the lack of one that contributes to the supposed perfection? Is eating a necessary component of perfection? Is pooing necessary and sufficient for perfection? And if not, why not?

I'm going to change this a little bit to make it easier to read.

Quote from: "cewbs"
    1. Does god have an anus, or is the anus something we acquired because of the orinal sin?
    2. Does god consciously design each of my stools?
    3. Is god present in my poo in the same way that he is in all of creation?
    4. Why did god make defecation such a varied experience, covering a wide spectrum from rejuvenatingly pleasant to excruciatingly painful?
    5. Why did god design the human digestive system such that it employs such wasteful mechanisms? Why are human faeces not more useful? Why is the system not more robust and predictable? As an engineer, I often think I could do a better job (particularly when I'm wrestling with constipation).
    6. Why does our view of poo tend to change during childhood, i.e. why does god ensure that we progressively develop what feels like an instinctive repulsion to our own (and others') waste?
    [/list]

1a. If God does have an anus, but pooing is not necessary for perfection, then God's anus makes him imperfect. If God does not have an anus but pooing is part of his existence, then he's... well, probably extremely uncomfortable.
      2a. If he does (and, thereby, causes you pain based on #4), but he himself does not defecate or have an anus, then he is knowingly and willfully hurting you, thereby negating the claim of being All Good. I will call this the Argument from Painful Poos.
      3a. If he is, then, as stated above, he is personally responsible for any painful bowel movements. If not, then it would seem that human feces is the only substance which is truly "removed from God's light" and thereby we are, essentially, machines designed to produce little smelly piles of evil. This goes against the idea of an All Loving and All Good creator.
      4a. I think I covered this in the second point. To recap, if God is responsible for painful poos, then he is knowingly and directly causing you pain and is therefore either not All Powerful (able to stop it) or All Loving (unwilling to cause pain).
      5a. Again, if God created the human digestive system faulty on purpose, he either a) could not create a perfect system and is not All Powerful, or b) chose not to and is not All Good (based on the Argument from Painful Poos).
      6a. I wouldn't blame that on God... I'd blame that on the Catholic church.  :D [/list]
      -Curio

SteveS

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "SteveS"One more question: If Jesus defecated, and Jesus was Holy (because he was God), did he produce "holy sh_t"? :D

"You talkin' to me?"
      -Curio

nikkixsugar

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"
      Quote from: "SteveS"One more question: If Jesus defecated, and Jesus was Holy (because he was God), did he produce "holy sh_t"? :D

"You talkin' to me?"

Uh-oh. Jesus has a gun and he's gonna kill us all! Is that a country song?
      Hate to tell you, but.....

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

jcm

I thought when it rained it was the big guy going number 1 and when it thundered he was going number 2

oh well...what about male nipples, can someone explain this one to me?
      For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. -cs

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "nikkixsugar"Uh-oh. Jesus has a gun and he's gonna kill us all! Is that a country song?

Noooo. If it were a country song, it would be, "Jesus Has a Gun and He's Gonna Save Us All From Those Dirty Muslims, Atheists and Commies!"  :D
      -Curio

NearBr0ken

QuoteWhy did god design the human digestive system such that it employs such wasteful mechanisms? Why are human faeces not more useful? Why is the system not more robust and predictable? As an engineer, I often think I could do a better job (particularly when I'm wrestling with constipation).

That's another thing that converted me.  If God can design whatever he wants, however he wants, then why all the waste?

Asmodean

Quote from: "cewbs"Does god have an anus, or is the anus something we acquired because of the orinal sin?
      If god had no anus, why would he inven butt plugs?  :D (point being: god IS the stool  :D

Quote from: "cewbs"Why did god make defecation such a varied experience, covering a wide spectrum from rejuvenatingly pleasant to excruciatingly painful?
      A good dump is a reward for being nice. A crippling diarrhea is a punishment for our wicked, sinful ways.  

Quote from: "cewbs"Why did god design the human digestive system such that it employs such wasteful mechanisms? Why are human faeces not more useful? Why is the system not more robust and predictable? As an engineer, I often think I could do a better job (particularly when I'm wrestling with constipation).
      Come on! Give him a break! 6000 years is a long time. they didn't invent the artificial fertilizers yet.  :pop:
      Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
      In Asmo's grey lump,
      wrath and dark clouds gather force.
      Luxembourg trembles.

afreethinker30

I had never thought about this part of creation..Good question.I'm sure a creation believer would say because that is the way god made us and everything.Every living thing puts out waste.There it being said waste would probley be a good thing in creationists eyes.If only we could find a half way intelligent creationist to ask..

Dickson

Quote from: "SteveS"roflol

Oh man, you cracked me up!  Excellent irreverent thinking.

One more question: If Jesus defecated, and Jesus was Holy (because he was God), did he produce "holy sh_t"? :hail:
      "If there is a God,
      I know he likes to rock"
      --Billy Corgan

shedaytrips

Quote from: "jcm"I thought when it rained it was the big guy going number 1 and when it thundered he was going number 2

oh well...what about male nipples, can someone explain this one to me?

I can explain that one. When conception occurs we all start out as a female template. It's not till later on that your sex is determined. So I think God has it wrong. We all started out female. lol

I also wonder why god would make us vomit.