News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Vanishing American prestige

Started by Icarus, September 19, 2020, 12:12:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

It appears that the rest of the world has lowered their perception of American status by a substantial margin.  Take a look at this set of statistical postings by Pew. 

One cannot but wonder how our diminished prestige has come to pass.  But then one has only to recognize that our leadership has had some influence on world opinion.  The red hat MAGA theme is not working well on the international scene

https://www.pewresearch.org/global/2020/09/15/us-image-plummets-internationally-as-most-say-country-has-handled-coronavirus-badly/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Tank

It's American people here that remind me every day that all is not lost.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Randy

We'll get our popularity and more back if Biden is elected president. Otherwise I expect the graph to get even worse.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Tank

Quote from: Randy on September 20, 2020, 12:07:43 AM
We'll get our popularity and more back if Biden is elected president. Otherwise I expect the graph to get even worse.

Fuck knows what'll happen if Trump gets back in.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Tank on September 19, 2020, 08:48:14 PM

So, that's like, what? 8 people? ;D America ain't "great".

Tank

Quote from: Dark Lightning on September 20, 2020, 03:29:04 PM

I know a lot more than 8!

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Icarus on September 19, 2020, 12:12:21 AM
...But then one has only to recognize that our leadership has had some influence on world opinion...

I would say this is definitely the case, though Trump has been a laughing stock since he was elected. With the corona crisis, nobody's laughing, just staring in disbelief at someone so incredibly inept leading the world's most powerful country.

If there was only one Trump it would still spell disaster, but there are copycats all over. The "president" of Brazil, or rather, the psychopath holding this country hostage, is an outspoken Trumpite and Trump admirer. Hopefully Biden takes over with the whole world watching, and all these putrid Trumpites fall one by one, like row of dominoes. 

This really needs to happen.   
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Tank on September 21, 2020, 10:03:25 AM
Quote from: Dark Lightning on September 20, 2020, 03:29:04 PM

I know a lot more than 8!

I chuckled when I saw your response, but only because I was being facetious about the number of USians, not the number of people your circle of friends. I hope that is how you took it, anyway.

Sadly, there is a huge percentage of people who still admire the chump, even after all the crazy things he has done. This election is closer than I like, and anything that happens to the chump is going to be minor, because he has money (right?) :shrug: and likely enough people don't want to to an ex-president in jail. Shit, we hanged Saddam Hussein, the least we could do is incarcerate a man who enabled a virus to kill a lot more people than Hussein was guilty of.

Recusant

Repeatedly crapping on long-standing alliances (not to mention outright betrayal) and cozying up to autocrats will tend to cause the neighbors to think less of one.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Ecurb Noselrub

American prestige just got a huge shot in the arm.  The mayor of Paris said a few days ago "welcome back America!"  Biden will work hard to restore what Dumpy has torn down.

Tank

If Biden stands down towards the end of his term Kamala could take 2 more terms. That could be 12 years to repair the damage Trump has done and make America greater than it has ever been.

Tom62

Quote from: Tank on November 13, 2020, 10:10:50 PM
If Biden stands down towards the end of his term Kamala could take 2 more terms. That could be 12 years to repair the damage Trump has done and make America greater than it has ever been.

We'll just have to wait and see. Biden's achievements so far haven't been that great. I have higher hopes for Kamala.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein