News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Does growing up a theist affect your intellectual makeup?

Started by Xjeepguy, October 24, 2011, 01:13:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on October 30, 2011, 01:38:05 AM
Quote from: Attila on October 29, 2011, 07:52:33 AM
(What a cunt, eh?)

Is the English use of "cunt" the same as the American use of "asshole"?  It seems to me they are, esp. when I'm listening to Jim Jefferies, but I'm not really sure.
No. A 'cunt' is a slang reference to the vagina. In the UK after the watershead at 9pm swearing is not restricted but such is the dislike for the 'C word' that it is very very rare to hear it. While the 'F bomb' is dropped so regularly it has almost completly lost its ability to shock.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Ildiko on October 30, 2011, 07:39:57 AM
Jim Jefferies is Australian. :D

I know, but the Aussie seem fairly English-ish, and I've noticed in some English movies "cunt" being used where an American would say "asshole".

QuoteI don't know because I don't know how "bad" asshole is in American English. All I can say is that "cunt" is at the extreme end - offhand I can't think of a "worse" word. 

Generally speaking (and obviously milage may vary), "asshole" is not as bad as "motherfucker" but worse than "dickwad".  "Cunt" tho is so extreme that I rarely hear it used, even by stand-up comics, in America and when it is used it's only in reference to women, to some woman who's gone well beyond mere "bitch".

Quote from: Tank on October 30, 2011, 09:55:10 AM
No. A 'cunt' is a slang reference to the vagina. In the UK after the watershead at 9pm swearing is not restricted but such is the dislike for the 'C word' that it is very very rare to hear it. While the 'F bomb' is dropped so regularly it has almost completly lost its ability to shock.

That's the dictionary meaning in America too (assuming "cunt" is in the dictionary), but I'd noticed in Jefferies stand-up and some English movies (tho Shaun of the Dead is the only one I can think of off-hand) that "cunt" is used in the same way and in the same circumstances that an American would use "asshole".
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Attila

I think we need to remember the context in which Jeffries was using "cunt". Every other sentence out of his mouth was "christians are a bunch of fucking retards" or words to the effect. He very astutely noticed that when he made remarks about gays or muslims the audience laughed uproariously but when he talking about christians in a similar vein, half the audience fell silent. I think "cunt" simply got lost in the shuffle in that special context. Even in Australia I don't think christian-bashing is that common.

Ildiko

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on October 30, 2011, 07:10:20 PM
Jim Jefferies is Australian. :D

I know, but the Aussie seem fairly English-ish....

Never say that to an Aussie! Jefferies was also playing the potty-mouthed Aussie there. I don't think he'd talk like that in front of his granny.

Generally speaking (and obviously milage may vary), "asshole" is not as bad as "motherfucker" but worse than "dickwad".  "Cunt" tho is so extreme that I rarely hear it used, even by stand-up comics, in America and when it is used it's only in reference to women, to some woman who's gone well beyond mere "bitch".

Dickwad is new to me. It just sounds silly and made up, rather than offensive. I'll try it out on our local Mormon missionaries and see how they react. :D

Tank will correct me if I'm wrong, but generally speaking we use it of men, rather than women. I don't think I'd be very offended at being called a cunt - it would just seem inappropriate. But it is at the absolute limit on the calling-a-bloke-something-offensive scale. You can say "He's a real cunt" but I'd think twice about calling someone a cunt to his face, unless he's a friend.

Best avoided in the UK, really, unless you are confident with it.

Tank

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on October 30, 2011, 07:10:20 PM
Quote from: Tank on October 30, 2011, 09:55:10 AM

That's the dictionary meaning in America too (assuming "cunt" is in the dictionary), but I'd noticed in Jefferies stand-up and some English movies (tho Shaun of the Dead is the only one I can think of off-hand) that "cunt" is used in the same way and in the same circumstances that an American would use "asshole".
It's a question of the degree of the insult wants to deliver, cunt being much worse that arsehole.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Ecurb Noselrub

I don't know because I don't know how "bad" asshole is in American English. All I can say is that "cunt" is at the extreme end - offhand I can't think of a "worse" word.  

Both asshole and cunt are at the extreme end - anatomically speaking. Since all of us have the former (barring any congenital defect), and only half of us have the latter (barring any genital defect), the latter is more gender specific, and therefore more offensive, at least to that gender.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: OldGit on October 29, 2011, 02:33:15 PM
Just BTW

Quote from: Online Etymology Dictionary

fuck (v.)
until recently a difficult word to trace, in part because it was taboo to the editors of the original OED when the "F" volume was compiled, 1893-97. Written form only attested from early 16c. OED 2nd edition cites 1503, in the form fukkit; earliest appearance of current spelling is 1535 -- "Bischops ... may fuck thair fill and be vnmaryit" [Sir David Lyndesay, "Ane Satyre of the Thrie Estaits"], but presumably it is a much more ancient word than that, simply one that wasn't written in the kind of texts that have survived from O.E. and M.E. Buck cites proper name John le Fucker from 1278. The word apparently is hinted at in a scurrilous 15c. poem, titled "Flen flyys," written in bastard Latin and M.E. The relevant line reads:
Non sunt in celi
quia fuccant uuiuys of heli
"They [the monks] are not in heaven because they fuck the wives of [the town of] Ely." Fuccant is pseudo-Latin, and in the original it is written in cipher. The earliest examples of the word otherwise are from Scottish, which suggests a Scandinavian origin, perhaps from a word akin to Norwegian dialectal fukka "copulate," or Swedish dialectal focka "copulate, strike, push," and fock "penis." Another theory traces it to M.E. fyke, fike "move restlessly, fidget," which also meant "dally, flirt," and probably is from a general North Sea Germanic word; cf. M.Du. fokken, Ger. ficken "fuck," earlier "make quick movements to and fro, flick," still earlier "itch, scratch;" the vulgar sense attested from 16c. This would parallel in sense the usual M.E. slang term for "have sexual intercourse," swive, from O.E. swifan "to move lightly over, sweep" (see swivel). But OED remarks these "cannot be shown to be related" to the English word. Chronology and phonology rule out Shipley's attempt to derive it from M.E. firk "to press hard, beat."
Germanic words of similar form (f + vowel + consonant) and meaning 'copulate' are numerous. One of them is G. ficken. They often have additional senses, especially 'cheat,' but their basic meaning is 'move back and forth.' ... Most probably, fuck is a borrowing from Low German and has no cognates outside Germanic. [Liberman]

I always heard it came from an abbreviation for Forced Unlawful Carnal Knowledge, but that was apparently an urban legend.

Ildiko

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on October 31, 2011, 05:45:25 PM
I don't know because I don't know how "bad" asshole is in American English. All I can say is that "cunt" is at the extreme end - offhand I can't think of a "worse" word.  

Both asshole and cunt are at the extreme end - anatomically speaking. Since all of us have the former (barring any congenital defect), and only half of us have the latter (barring any genital defect), the latter is more gender specific, and therefore more offensive, at least to that gender.

Bollocks to that.

QuoteI always heard it came from an abbreviation for Forced Unlawful Carnal Knowledge, but that was apparently an urban legend.

ROFLMCO

MathKat

Quote from: Xjeepguy on October 24, 2011, 01:13:51 PM
I am going to be completely honest here. I feel like a complete dumbass on this forum sometimes. I never studied philosophy, or physics or theology, and I guess I have some trouble understanding some of the discussion on this forum sometimes. I consider myself to be somewhat intelligent, mainly in other arenas like mechanics and electronics, but I honestly think that being religious most of my life has stunted my intellectual growth when it comes to the above mentioned studies. Let's be honest here, how many religious parents want their kids studying something that will likely make them question the religion they are trying to ingrain into them? I have already noticed the people who seem to have the best arguments and the most insight on this forum are life long atheists. Maybe being an atheist makes one lean heavily toward the sciences at a young age? Maybe theism makes one lean away from the sciences? This was just a thought I had on my way home from work today.

So what do you all think?

I was raised as an atheist and half of what I read on this forum is way over my head.  I've always had an interest in physics but I'm no expert and though I read every thread on the subject posted on this forum, I honestly don't feel as if I have anything valid to contribute to the conversation.  That's why you'll rarely see a response from me on the subject.  I guess in a way I'm more of a lurker.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Ildiko on October 31, 2011, 06:43:00 PM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on October 31, 2011, 05:45:25 PM

Bollocks to that.

I can't believe you don't agree with everything I said.  Let's take it one sentence at a time: 1) "Both asshole and cunt are at the extreme end - anatomically speaking."  Of course this is true. 2) "Since all of us have the former (barring any congenital defect), and only half of us have the latter (barring any genital defect)" - I was quite proud of this sentence - I thought it was witty.  3) "the latter is more gender specific, and therefore more offensive, at least to that gender." - of course cunt is more offensive than asshole - to women.  So I'm right.

Or maybe, as a Yank, I don't fully understand the usage of "bollocks."  Perhaps you could enlighten me.  ;D

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Ildiko on October 30, 2011, 08:10:24 PM
Dickwad is new to me. It just sounds silly and made up, rather than offensive. I'll try it out on our local Mormon missionaries and see how they react. :D

Be sure to have a video camera on hand and post the results.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

DeterminedJuliet

Brits have the best insults!

Newfoundland has some pretty good ones, too. I like "yer as stunned as me arse", personally.
Sorry. Not trying to derail. We should start a creative insults thread!
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Tank

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on November 01, 2011, 03:18:44 AM

Or maybe, as a Yank, I don't fully understand the usage of "bollocks."  Perhaps you could enlighten me.  ;D
Bollocks = testicles

Siz

Quote from: Tank on November 02, 2011, 08:38:54 PM

Bollocks = testicles

That does this excellent word no justice at all.

Try this:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bollocks

It works especially well if prefixed by 'fucking' or quantified by 'utter', 'total' or 'complete'.

Is there an equivalently adaptable word in American?

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

BullyforBronto

Quote from: Scissorlegs on November 02, 2011, 09:16:31 PM
Quote from: Tank on November 02, 2011, 08:38:54 PM

Bollocks = testicles

That does this excellent word no justice at all.

Try this:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bollocks

It works especially well if prefixed by 'fucking' or quantified by 'utter', 'total' or 'complete'.

Is there an equivalently adaptable word in American?

I think "bullshit" would be the American equivalent to "bullocks." :)