Last post by billy rubin - May 26, 2024, 04:08:28 PM
no.
Introductions / Re: Hello, again...
Last post by billy rubin - May 26, 2024, 04:07:40 PM
bob dobs?

that brings back memories.
Laid Back Lounge / Re: animals in your life
Last post by billy rubin - May 26, 2024, 03:54:16 PM
yesterday i saw something i have never seen. bird-surfing.

its spring here in appalachia, and so lots f passerines have nestlings. the parents are intolerant ofpredators, and harrass them whenever they can. so the crows gang bang the owls, the mockingbirds chase the cats, and so on.

turkey vultures arew a common scavenger and opportunist feeder here, and the blackbirds hate them. yesterday i was driving home and watched a blackbird chasing a crow. typical. then watched a brief encounter where a blackbird was chasing off a vulture about 100 times its size, trailing behind and darting in to beat on the back of its head. typical

but then the blackbird actually landed on the pygidial region of the turkey vulture, folded its wings, and surfed the flying bird, standing erect for the few seconds i watched until ithey passed out of sight.

even after decades of paying attention, nature does new shit to me whenever im paying attention.

people talk about shotgunning flying raptors at sea and elsewhere, and fiding smaller birds nestled in their feathers. its one of those things that sounds weird until you think about it. but i have never seen a bird ride another in flight until now.
Laid Back Lounge / Re: On the "obsession" with in...
Last post by The Magic Pudding.. - May 25, 2024, 02:09:42 PM
QuoteWould you rather experience your child's first words and remember that moment through the blur of organic memory, or relive that moment on video

False dichotomy?
Carrying a camera makes me look.
Laid Back Lounge / Re: On the "obsession" with in...
Last post by Tank - May 25, 2024, 01:39:37 PM
Quote from: The Magic Pudding.. on May 22, 2024, 02:51:34 PMI found the stop filming everything woman tedious.
The people she is describing are vacuous, not worthy of regard.  :-\

If I walk a scenic path carrying a camera, it makes me more attentive
If I walk a scenic path without a camera, there's often regret.

I do my best to have a reasonable camera with me. My little Linux has a optical lens range of 24 to 720mm and weighs about 1Lb. It's good in most cases. As you say it's the regret of the missed opportunity that bugs me.
Science / Re: "Just One Word: Microplast...
Last post by Tank - May 25, 2024, 10:45:43 AM
Natural selection at it's finest. It's almost like something is in control!
Laid Back Lounge / Re: Multi-Association Thread
Last post by Tank - May 24, 2024, 06:58:56 PM

Science / Re: All things AI
Last post by Tank - May 24, 2024, 06:37:04 PM
LOL. Yes I saw that. But the question remains. Would a AI be better than the fuck ups we have managed ever since we learned to bang rocks together?
Last post by Recusant - May 24, 2024, 05:23:46 PM
Quote from: Tank on May 24, 2024, 04:37:22 PMCould/would an AI do a better job of running humanity than humanity has?

Sure--it's ready to give us bold innovations. Like using glue on your pizza. :eyebrow:
Last post by Tank - May 24, 2024, 04:37:22 PM
Could/would an AI do a better job of running humanity than humanity has?