News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

What are you drinking now?

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, December 25, 2020, 03:15:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Lightning

Randy

Tootsie Roll hot cocoa. We ran out of coffee but a supply is coming in later today.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Icarus

Drinking less than I was a few weeks ago.  I have never really abused the John Barleycorn elixer but I had been using more than necessary.  I never ever drink if I am going out in the evening. With the virus threat I do not go out at all except in the rarest of events.  There is the booze component of entertainment as a result....or excuse. 

Embarrassing confession: It all started one night when I was at the computer. I was not at all impaired but I was sleepy. Drowsiness almost surely caused by the alcohol.  Evidently I fell asleep at the keyboard. Then I fell off the damned chair and skinned up one of my arms pretty badly. Blood!  That was a "what the hell happened" moment.  So, now I have been imbibing far more moderately.  An aside benefit of doing so is that I will spend less frequently at the liquor store.

Fatherly advice for my esteemed HAF friends.....enjoy but do not over do it. 

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Icarus on January 19, 2021, 12:52:20 AM
Drinking less than I was a few weeks ago.  I have never really abused the John Barleycorn elixer but I had been using more than necessary.  I never ever drink if I am going out in the evening. With the virus threat I do not go out at all except in the rarest of events.  There is the booze component of entertainment as a result....or excuse. 

Embarrassing confession: It all started one night when I was at the computer. I was not at all impaired but I was sleepy. Drowsiness almost surely caused by the alcohol.  Evidently I fell asleep at the keyboard. Then I fell off the damned chair and skinned up one of my arms pretty badly. Blood!  That was a "what the hell happened" moment.  So, now I have been imbibing far more moderately.  An aside benefit of doing so is that I will spend less frequently at the liquor store.

Fatherly advice for my esteemed HAF friends.....enjoy but do not over do it.

I've "over-served"  ::) myself in the past, :D on a few occasions. These days all it takes is being tired, which I feel a lot. I started taking B-12 in some megadose thinking that it would help with my energy, but it ended up causing insomnia. I stopped taking it a few days ago, and caught up with my "sleep deprivation" by nodding off in front of my laptop. Luckily, I didn't fall over. I cut the gummies in quarters to see if I could get the benefit at a lower dosage.

BoT, I'm sipping on a Budweiser atm.

billy rubin

guinness and mezcal

shame they don't have agaves in ireland. they might have cooked up something really special

set the function, not the mechanism.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: billy rubin on January 19, 2021, 02:28:30 AM
guinness and mezcal

shame they don't have agaves in ireland. they might have cooked up something really special

Mixed together or separately?

billy rubin

i drnk the guinness first and the n pour the mezcal into the samecup

so a little of both i guess

neither goes very well withbuttermilk

hermes2015

Don't tell any Italians, but it is late afternoon and I am having a cappuccino from my machine.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: billy rubin on January 19, 2021, 01:59:32 PM

Mezcal tastes like burned jet fuel to me.  I never got it.  It was like an agave plant applied to Tequila University and flunked out in the first semester.  However, once in a moment of revelatory brilliance I did mix a little with some Scotch and it wasn't half bad.  Both are smoky - reminded me of the Candelilla wax burning pits in the deserts of northern Mexico that I visited many years ago.  Don't ask me why I was there.

hermes2015

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on January 19, 2021, 05:01:22 PM

Mezcal tastes like burned jet fuel to me.  I never got it.  It was like an agave plant applied to Tequila University and flunked out in the first semester.  However, once in a moment of revelatory brilliance I did mix a little with some Scotch and it wasn't half bad.  Both are smoky - reminded me of the Candelária wax burning pits in the deserts of northern Mexico that I visited many years ago.  Don't ask me why I was there.

Why were you there?
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

Mezcal tastes like burned jet fuel to me.  I never got it. 

could be genetic.

i used to sell blue gum eucalyptus honey at a farmer's market. to me it tasted like ordinary amber to dark amber honey, distinctive but not very different.

but to some people-- maybe one in twenty, the stuff tasted so bad thatthey would spit it out or walk around in circles waving their arms. i would ask what it tested like, and they would usually say

burnt, bitter, awful!! or something like that

i was fascinated to see who would and would not have the reaction, and i would warn people in advance

once i had a mother and her daughter walking in circles gagging while the husband just looked at them and laughed. he had no reaction at all.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on January 19, 2021, 05:16:48 PM

Mezcal tastes like burned jet fuel to me.  I never got it.  It was like an agave plant applied to Tequila University and flunked out in the first semester.  However, once in a moment of revelatory brilliance I did mix a little with some Scotch and it wasn't half bad.  Both are smoky - reminded me of the Candelária wax burning pits in the deserts of northern Mexico that I visited many years ago.  Don't ask me why I was there.

Why were you there?

Beat me to it. ;D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Ecurb Noselrub

Supporting illegal wax smuggling by helping an impoverished village.  Not the sexiest thing, but that was pre-9/11 when the Texas-Mexico border was, in places, pretty wild. No Country for Old Men.

billy rubin