News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

animals in your life

Started by billy rubin, April 23, 2020, 01:04:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

billy rubin

i have an old dog named ygmir.

ygmir is almost totally blind, which is not a real handicap out here in the country. he has trouble deciding whether doors are opened or closed, but he has no difficulty ensconcing himself in My Personal Chair when i want to be sitting in it.

he also likes choclate:

totally by smell and intuition, ygmir went into the dining room, selected an unopened cardboard mailer on the table, opened it, extracted an expensive wrapped bar of chocolate, ate that and that only, and went back to my chair.

here is proof

ygmire has apparently forgotten the whole thing, but my wife now has to go out tomorrow and buy chocolate to replace what he ate, since it was christmas present.

plus one for determination in the face of physical disability

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

I hope he's ok. Chocolate can make dogs very ill.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

he s okay. hw appears to lead a charmed life 

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

billy rubin

i should attempt to make a group portrait of ygmir with his pet cats.

formerly he only had one familiar, but with the current high level of cat avatars around here, there are now at least three who will sleep under, next to, or on top of ygmir when he stops moving. all my dogs have gotten on well with cats-- except for my wifes pit bull which i made her get rid of-- but ygmir's attraction for felines is quite remarkable.

dunno whether its attitude, smell, or psychic magnetism, but cats love him

billy rubin

boxing day was warm! and so is today, but rainy.

so warm the small mammals are out. this morning the cats brought in a blarina brevicauda, shortail shrew. maybe 15 or 18 grams, a pretty big sucker as american shrews go

typical elongate insectovore skull, and the large size and short tail are diagnostic. theres a notiosorex that they sometimes bring in too, but its about 1/5 this size. the blarina are cool because theyre venemous-- poisonous saliva. they attack and bit repeatedly, and if youre an earthworm or a cricket or smething then the venom is enough to paralyze you. ive never been bitten by one. we have a few other insectivores out here like starnose moles, but see them so seldom because the cats create a mammal free zone around the house.

billy rubin

got some pictures of the fish as well. theyve okay in this 20 gallon tank, about doubling in size since last summer.

hard to photograph because they arent dead. these are bluntnose minnows, pinophales notatus, very common throughout ohio in all the various drainage basins. clear water stream dwellers. im going to clean the tank some and see if i can get better light. i have an overhead light for the tank but the cats have jumped up on it and made it fall into the water, so now it doesnt work. replacements are close to a hundred bucks, so they get natural light only for a while.

Icarus

I live in a somewhat sophisticated city of medium size.  Yes I know that Florida is being rightfully criticized as a nest of ignorant assholes who vote for Trump. I hasten to add that that is not all 22 millions of us. 

I live in a semi prosperous part of town.  Oddly, and well out of place for the area, there is a 20 acre orange grove separated from my back yard only by an eight foot high concrete wall. The remainder of my back yard is enclosed by a chain link fence. 

We have Coyotes in the midst of this prosperous and well cared for town.  Coyotes?  Yes, right in the middle of a densely populated area.  I went to my back yard bird feeder yesterday only to find a nearby dead animal that had been eviscerated. I had to clean up the mess before the maggots got to it. It was a neighborhood kitty cat, what was left of it.  It bore the signs of a Coyote kill. Coyotes typically disembowel their prey.

I am not a cat person, but I do care about their humane treatment.  I have long been a canine guy who loves them dearly, but the Coyote is not to be confused with a noble dog. Yet he is a canine type. A vicious predatory (and hungry) one.

This is not the first episode of having cats and small dogs killed by these predators. If I encounter a Coyote, which is not likely, because they are nocturnal, I might try to destroy him/her.  If I did so I am in big trouble for firing a shotgun within city limits and also for killing a wild animal other than fair game like deer, boar, or rabbit.

Why are life decisions so challenging?  I do not even want to kill the Coyotes; I still want to protect my neighbors' domestic animals.  ODTAA is ...One Damned Thing After Another.

Dark Lightning

Crossbow. A bit unwieldy, but a lot quieter than a shotgun. If you are a reasonable shot, you can also use a .22 short rifle round, though you'd need to be pretty close to it.

billy rubin

i suspect youll not get close enough to the coyote to get it with a crossbow. theyre very smart.

ours have begun singing again in the evenings, but i seldom see them. i actually see red foxes more often than coyotes. the bobcats are mostly invisible, but theyre around.

billy rubin

Tank

Ecurb Noselrub

All the animals in my life are inside of me - there is a wolf, a pig, a snake, a fox, a dove, a bear, a peregrine falcon, a chupacabra, an owl - my psyche is basically a zoo.

Tank

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on January 20, 2022, 09:19:31 PM
All the animals in my life are inside of me - there is a wolf, a pig, a snake, a fox, a dove, a bear, a peregrine falcon, a chupacabra, an owl - my psyche is basically a zoo.

My spirit animal is the three toed sloth.