News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Cerebral "Cross Fit"

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, July 10, 2022, 09:12:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

I have friends who do Cross Fit training, which, I think, is good, for those who are into that sort of thing. I am two months away from 70, and I do try to stay in shape, working out on something 6 days a week. But brain training is just as important to me. I have my own little "cerebral cross fit" work out that I try to keep up with.  It involves studying languages, playing chess, doing brain games, reading, and playing music. I keep up with it pretty well on the weekends, and somewhat during the week. Since I still work, my free time during the week is limited. But, I try.

I use Duolingo and a private professor to study my Italian (I am about 70% fluent, by my estimation). I also do a few minutes weekly of Spanish, French, German, Russian, Koine Greek, and Classical Hebrew, and dabble a bit with Portuguese, Welsh, and Latin. I am not by any means fluent in any of them, I just spend a bit of time with them. Italian is my focus, since I lived there 3 years when I was younger.

I uses Lichess for computer chess (I am average), Lumosity for brain games (ranked pretty high for my age), and play a bit of mandolin, guitar and bass (not by any means ready for prime time). This, plus reading, is my Cerebral Cross Fit. Along with working, of course.

What do you do to keep your mind active and challenged? 

Dark Lightning

Wordle, Sudoku, Scrabble for games. I also carve wood and build chests to hold the tools. I haven't carved anything for awhile, though. My brother and I made two springs to replace broken ones in the seat of my old (1970) truck. I'm here to tell you that spring steel isn't easy to bend! I'll be getting the upholstery on it tomorrow, then back into the truck. It was torn for years.

billy rubin

bruce, whats your interest in koine?

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Icarus

My brain is turning to mush and I am fighting back. My main exercise involves math.  I am relearning the calculus that I forgot long ago. My wife gives me some static about all the bits of paper, with math scribbles, that she finds around the house.

Not sure if any of that mental exercise makes a lot of difference but I am giving it a good go. In addition, I find it to be a fun pursuit.

Dark Lightning

The calculus is all Greek to her, right?  ;D

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: billy rubin on July 11, 2022, 12:52:35 AMbruce, whats your interest in koine?

That's is what i learned in seminary, so I don't want to completely use it. It is the language of the New Testament, so it occasionally comes in handy to know.

billy rubin

intrresting.

id love to know classical greek to able to read homer.

not enough years in your life.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Recusant

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 10, 2022, 09:12:26 PMI have friends who do Cross Fit training, which, I think, is good, for those who are into that sort of thing. I am two months away from 70, and I do try to stay in shape, working out on something 6 days a week. But brain training is just as important to me. I have my own little "cerebral cross fit" work out that I try to keep up with.  It involves studying languages, playing chess, doing brain games, reading, and playing music. I keep up with it pretty well on the weekends, and somewhat during the week. Since I still work, my free time during the week is limited. But, I try.

I use Duolingo and a private professor to study my Italian (I am about 70% fluent, by my estimation). I also do a few minutes weekly of Spanish, French, German, Russian, Koine Greek, and Classical Hebrew, and dabble a bit with Portuguese, Welsh, and Latin. I am not by any means fluent in any of them, I just spend a bit of time with them. Italian is my focus, since I lived there 3 years when I was younger.

I uses Lichess for computer chess (I am average), Lumosity for brain games (ranked pretty high for my age), and play a bit of mandolin, guitar and bass (not by any means ready for prime time). This, plus reading, is my Cerebral Cross Fit. Along with reading and working, of course.

What do you do to keep your mind active and challenged? 

You are an impressive athlete of the mind, sir. In comparison, I am a slug. I play Go, read, play music occasionally. I don't have a bass right now, but interestingly we do the same stringed instruments; currently I mess around with a guitar and a mandolin. Also make dreadful noises with a bagpipe practice chanter.

I suppose I could claim I work on my French--one of my Go playing friends is French and we talk only in French in our online games, but I usually use online translation to help. Also perforce learn about computers to attempt repairs pretty regularly since at least some of my family come to me when their machines give them problems. I spend time every day here (admin work, if nothing else) and visit other discussion boards as well, which can occasionally qualify as mental exercise.  ;)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

No one

I keep myself busy by inventing new infant, kitten, and puppy recipes. Also, more painful practices to torture little old ladies.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: No one on July 21, 2022, 11:20:40 PMI keep myself busy by inventing new infant, kitten, and puppy recipes. Also, more painful practices to torture little old ladies.

Are you a werewolf of London?