News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Petrol head thread!!!

Started by billy rubin, October 29, 2019, 10:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Lightning

I'm thinking that the float is on the centerline of the frame, to avoid starvation/saturation during hard cornering?

Icarus

The air velocity of the Amals will be higher than that of the larger bore Keihens. That is if the engine can develop an enough instant negative pressure to pull the lesser air through the throats. 

Billy I like the old time stuff too.  I am not deluded that it is better or even equivalent to the newer items.

Are these made of brass like the old TT Amals ?    Del Ortos are also worthy of collecting but not to use on an aspiring LSR bike.

Aaah yes, I would spend the butter and egg money if I could buy an NSU S-20 Max.  I need it like I need a paper ass but I would buy it anyway.  "There is no fool like an old fool".   

Just to set the record straight I am a much older, more foolish fool, than you.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

Quote from: Dark Lightning on October 26, 2021, 03:21:33 AM
I'm thinking that the float is on the centerline of the frame, to avoid starvation/saturation during hard cornering?

thats the idea although because a motorcycle leans itsveffect is minimal. sidecar unitscare very vulnerable, as are machines where the riders hang off to keep the machine closer to vertical as they corner

this pair of carburetters only has one float bowl. ive seen other setups where there are two, mounted outboard, but theose are generally straight line machines

News has been received from the Punjab that the Amritsar mob has again broken out in a violent attack against the authorities. The rebels were repulsed by the military and they suffered 200 casualties.

billy rubin

Quote from: Icarus on October 26, 2021, 03:40:28 AM
The air velocity of the Amals will be higher than that of the larger bore Keihens. That is if the engine can develop an enough instant negative pressure to pull the lesser air through the throats. 

Billy I like the old time stuff too.  I am not deluded that it is better or even equivalent to the newer items.

Are these made of brass like the old TT Amals ?    Del Ortos are also worthy of collecting but not to use on an aspiring LSR bike.

Aaah yes, I would spend the butter and egg money if I could buy an NSU S-20 Max.  I need it like I need a paper ass but I would buy it anyway.  "There is no fool like an old fool".   

Just to set the record straight I am a much older, more foolish fool, than you.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

i think these are made of the old mazak zinc alloy.  AMAL painted them gold to protect them and also to imitate the old brass youre talking about, i think. the restoration rivet-counters worry amongst themselvesabout the exact shade of paint the factory used, but  an ancient dealer i know says he talked to an amal shop guy about thecolor. he said the shop guy laughed and said; whatever the procuremnt people found was cheapest was what we used. so ths color was variable from month to month.

the NSUs are a rare bird now. not in their day

OHC too, before it was cool. what wasvyour involvementvwith them?

the old stuff is interesting to me because the interaction is analog, mechanical, and accessible. in terms of function, port fuel injection provides superior metering and flexibility compared to these old amals with their arcane fuel passages and mechanical air correction features. they require a different type of interaction than a bluetooth connection to an onboard CPU, one that is more intimate. to me that is more interesting. i try to follow simplicity in most things, and that means i often reject modern technology, not because it is not better, but because it is no longer simple.

sometimes i wonder how much this rejecting of modernity has genuine philosophical underpinnings and how much is due to just being a reactionary fart. then i stop wondering and go ride the motorcycle

by the way i dont consider you foolish, although ill grant you the father time part

News has been received from the Punjab that the Amritsar mob has again broken out in a violent attack against the authorities. The rebels were repulsed by the military and they suffered 200 casualties.

billy rubin

Quote from: hermes2015 on October 26, 2021, 03:51:09 AM
Enjoy your purchase!

yes

thank you

i got through the buyers remorse part by gritting my teeth and remenbering that i can flip these on eBay for more than i paid in not much time at all.

stuff like this goes up in value and then declines as the people whi remember it die off. model t fords were like that. their price has leveled off because everybody who wanted one as a kid either got old enough to buybone or died.

but tgese are specialized enough to hold tgeir value i think

billy rubin

the skills shown here are unimaginable to me.

the average speed on the mountain course is now 135 mph over the 38 miles.

Denny

I drive a 2002 Ford Puma Black. Love it.

billy rubin

why did they quit making those?

they look like theyd be a ball to drive

Denny

Quote from: billy rubin on January 13, 2022, 07:50:44 PM
why did they quit making those?

they look like theyd be a ball to drive

Textbook smiles per miles.

They were never serious about improving the car. Everything about it is disposable, even the engine. Designed on the back of the nippy Fiesta but honed and primed by the legendary Jackie Stewart it became a little icon in it's short run.

There is only something like 141 Puma Blacks left in the world.

Weird how they were never built in America.

billy rubin

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

i would agree

i left america ad a child and returned to go to university

took me ages to figure the place out. weird attitudes, strange food, incomprehensible slang, and tbey even drove on the wrong side of tbe road

billy rubin

well we re on for the races in july and september.

i called the motel in limestone maine and booked the rooms.

id been hemming and hawing because we re behind on tbe crefit cards and im not making as much money as i want while the new broker gets stuff figured out.

the number one son doesnt race- hes the one who bashes his friends heads with his battle axe for recreation instead

the number one daughter spent last summer in nevada cutting timber and will probably do the same this time the second girl and second boy may or may not be up to a week at a hundred miles an hour. but neither responded ommediately when i asked.

however.

the number tbree son said, sure, ill race, but i need to get certified.

hese never run a motorcycle over maybe 25 mph on the dirt, so its time.

so thats that. the rear end of the old triumph goes in for bearing surgery so i wont sieze a wheel at 140 mph, and tbe little kawasaki gets a workover stripping parts until its legal to race.

two days to get there, four days of racing, and two days back. and we re due now for two new helmets, as mine has expjred.

my heart rate falls at the very thought.

billy rubin

dammit

i bought this old bee truck over 20 years ago to replace the one i drove down the road upside down one day.

got it yo ohio and parked it. then my neighbor wanted to buy it so i drove it over to his place. then he changed his mind but i couldnt get it started to get it back.

now hes auctioning off his farrm in a week and i need to move it. but its a propane motor and hes emptied the tanks fooling with it.

the propane company wont fill it, but i found a towing company that will take it the 2000 feet back to my place for $500. on friday, and the auction is saturday. 

so my boss says he will come by tomorrow and  well try to move it with a skid steer hes borrowed.

because the rear parking brakes dont come off unless the motor is running, he has to pick ip the back end and roll it home on the front wheels.

sure to be a circus.