News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Smell-o-poll

Started by Sandra Craft, March 22, 2021, 07:57:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

I thought this was a fun time waster.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

No one

You forgot villages rank with fear.

Recusant

The last aroma in the list has a name: petrichor
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Recusant on March 22, 2021, 08:41:04 PM
The last aroma in the list has a name: petrichor

New knowledge, I love that!

Quote from: No one on March 22, 2021, 08:23:21 PM
You forgot villages rank with fear.

Too specialized.  I almost took out babies for that reason, but then remembered there were a lot of parents here.
Sandy

Recusant

Definitely a mixed bag when it comes to the smell of babies.  :lol:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Recusant on March 22, 2021, 10:26:41 PM
Definitely a mixed bag when it comes to the smell of babies.  :lol:

:lol: :thumbsup:

Depends what just went in the bag.  ;D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

billy rubin

are these to be smells that we like to smell? i don't have much of a sense of smell.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Sandra Craft

Quote from: billy rubin on March 23, 2021, 12:17:57 AM
are these to be smells that we like to smell? i don't have much of a sense of smell.

That's how I'm interpreting it -- of these smells, which two are your favorites.  Or if you could smell them, which two would you like most to smell.
Sandy

billy rubin

coffee and dirt

cant smell coffee anymore but i can still smell turned earth

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Icarus

Some, not all, freshly turned dirt has a pleasing aroma.  Oddly, my compost barrel often has a smell that is pleasing.  Those little bacteria are amazing workers.

One of my favorite essences is from freshly cut wood of certain varieties.  Too bad. Some of the cedars produce toxic fumes. Other woods have unpleasant smells when freshly cut.

Bad Penny II

I enjoy scratching a lemon with my thumbnail.

That wasn't consciously meant to be a euphemism.

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Ecurb Noselrub

Need a separate poll for flowers.  Right now, my favorite is gardenia. Honeysuckle runs a close second.

Also, the smell of piña colada shampoo.  I want to drink it.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on March 23, 2021, 03:41:46 PM
Need a separate poll for flowers.  Right now, my favorite is gardenia. Honeysuckle runs a close second.

Do it!  I don't know enough about flowers myself to make that poll.  Just my luck I'd add some that have no smell.
Sandy

Randy

Chocolate. It really doesn't matter to me which type of chocolate it is. I like them all.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Icarus

The fence that separates My back yard from the neighbors', has Confederate Jasmine vines.  When in bloom the smell is delicious. Hummers and bees approve as well.

On the negative side there is the ubiquitous Virginia creeper vine, also called Skunk vine. When you cut it or damage it the smell is not pleasant.  The damned skunk vine is a menace.  It invades every place, mostly on the brick wall that separates my house from the street.  Removing it from the wall is a stinky process.  I usually poison it, at some risk to myself, with Roundup chemical.