Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

What are you watching?

Started by Claireliontamer, October 31, 2015, 05:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pasta Chick

Quote from: Firebird on March 20, 2016, 02:57:13 AM
Quote from: Pasta Chick on March 06, 2016, 12:47:54 AM
I'm finally watching Firefly for the first time ever.

To further destroy my nerd cred, I'm going to commit the ultimate heresy and say I totally get why this show was cancelled. Not that I'm not enjoying it. But the concept of post-civil war Wild West outlaws in space with hot chicks isn't enough to sustain a show on it's own. There is no actual plot.

How many episodes in are you? There's an overarching storyline with River (Summer Glau's character) that is quite good, IMO. I will say that we watched the pilot, weren't impressed, and didn't try again for a couple of years, but on the second attempt we got hooked.

4, I think. There seems to be some long term stuff that could happen, except they haven't really done anything with it. It's just mentioned every so often. So far they've just kicked around taking odd jobs and talking about the Alliance sucks.

Bad Penny

The Last Leg, it's made in the UK utilising the "talents" of Adam Hills.
It's fucking awful, Hills used to be OK, at least he wasn't as annoying.

Who do we all agree to dislike the most this week? is it Putin or Trump?
Joyous right thinking get together, unchallenged declamation is such fun.
There's the two moronic offsiders, from the disabled Olympics coverage.
All people lacking of feet will be encouraged to run.
Two morons must be consulted on all social issues.

Claireliontamer

Quote from: Bad Penny on March 24, 2016, 02:44:48 PM

Joyous right thinking get together, unchallenged declamation is such fun.
There's the two moronic offsiders, from the disabled Olympics coverage.
All people lacking of feet will be encouraged to run.
Two morons must be consulted on all social issues.

Pah, you clearly have no taste. I love the last leg.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Bad Penny on March 24, 2016, 02:44:48 PM

I say Trump.  For the time being, he's a more immediate threat.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Tom62

I'm now watching the friendly football match of Germany against England.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Biggus Dickus

Kinda late, didn't think there would be anything good on to watch  (Just finished watching the end of the Detroit Red Wings game, they beat Toronto) and I lucked on "This Is Spinal Tap".
Haven't seen this in years, great movie. I so excited.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Nam

Quote from: Bruno de la Pole on April 03, 2016, 02:56:05 AM
Kinda late, didn't think there would be anything good on to watch  (Just finished watching the end of the Detroit Red Wings game, they beat Toronto) and I lucked on "This Is Spinal Tap".

Don't you hate it when there's 9,000+ channels and there's nothing on? I am watching Quantum Leap right now. I have it on DVD.

-Nam
I'm on the road less traveled...

Tank

Quote from: Nam on April 03, 2016, 05:01:30 AM

Don't you hate it when there's 9,000+ channels and there's nothing on? I am watching Quantum Leap right now. I have it on DVD.

-Nam
It's the ultimate 1st world problem. I can spend 20 minutes flicking through the channel guide and find nothing worth wasting more time on.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Crow

-Nam

I recently got rid of Sky because of that. Waste of damn money, I'm never available to watch the programs I want when they are on and I never sit down and think oh I must make sure I record all the shows I want to watch and I was paying £25 a month just for that privilege of basic tv and the ability to record, then there are all the packs on top. Changed it up to NowTV which is a internet version of the service and the grand total for pretty much the same package minus live TV came to £14 down from £65.
Retired member.

Nam

Quote from: Tank on April 03, 2016, 09:39:55 AM

-Nam
It's the ultimate 1st world problem. I can spend 20 minutes flicking through the channel guide and find nothing worth wasting more time on.

Actually I DVR everything. I have a "Movies I Want list (215 movies)", "Movies I Used to Have" (back when VHS was the rage, about 23 movies) and a "Movies to replace" list (movies i have needing replaced. About 5 at the moment) on two separate DVR's (bedroom and living room). So, I always have something to watch. Plus, I have 3200+ movies on DVD, and 60+ TV shows on DVD (minus individual seasons) so...even if I can't find anything...always something to watch.

;)

-Nam

Crow

Quote from: Nam on April 03, 2016, 03:06:45 PM
Actually I DVR everything. I have a "Movies I Want list (215 movies)", "Movies I Used to Have" (back when VHS was the rage, about 23 movies) and a "Movies to replace" list (movies i have needing replaced. About 5 at the moment) on two separate DVR's (bedroom and living room). So, I always have something to watch. Plus, I have 3200+ movies on DVD, and 60+ TV shows on DVD (minus individual seasons) so...even if I can't find anything...always something to watch.

;)

Are you an obsessive collector by any chance? What do you do when formats become obsolete and where do you store all your physical collections.
Retired member.

Nam

Quote from: Crow on April 03, 2016, 04:21:26 PM
Quote from: Nam on April 03, 2016, 03:06:45 PM

;)

Are you an obsessive collector by any chance? What do you do when formats become obsolete and where do you store all your physical collections.

OCD only in not getting rid of any of the ones I don't care for. Of course most of them are in collections so...not much getting rid of them anyway.

I have them all (minus TV shows) in my bedroom. 11 shelves. All five levels except one that has seven levels. I restock (movies I buy from in between restocking) the shelves once or twice a year.

I don't understand what you mean by "formats becoming obsolete". I do have a Blu-ray player, if that's what you mean.

-Nam

Nam

Just watched the new Star Wars film. I gave it 7/10. The trailer was better.

-Nam

Crow

The 100.

I watched a few episodes a while back when it first came on and didn't make much of it (felt like a typical teen series but with a science fiction twist) so gave it a pass. I recently kept seeing a lot of really high reviews for later episodes, unusually high so decided to give the first season a chance. Whilst the first season does stick to what I thought it would be and has a bit of a Stargate feel to it it gets pretty good then gets a lot better in the second, if it keeps on improving at the rate then it should be pretty damn fantastic.
Retired member.

Biggus Dickus

Last week my wife (Socorro) was in Honduras, so my son and I watched the entire first Season of True Deceives, with Matthew McConaughey, Woody Harrelson and Michelle Monaghan.

We both really enjoyed this quite a bit (Second time my son watched it, but he was so impressed he begged me to watch it with him, so we figured the week we were both playing bachelors would work, it was fun spending time with him watching this and then replaying our favorite scenes over and discussing it). We watched 2 episodes on Monday, and then one each day after).

It is very well written, with some excellent dialogue. The writer is Nic Pizzolatto, and watching this has piqued my interest enough that I'm going to head to the bookstore this weekend and see about picking up some more of his work.

The cinematography is also excellent, with some visually stunning shots and sequences, and with musical direction by T Bone Burnett himself, the mood is consistent throughout the film.

Matthew McConaughey does an excellent job portraying the character of Detective Rust Cohle. Some of his lines from the film were fantastic, like this one with regards to his character describing himself both as a realist and pessimist.

I think human consciousness is a tragic misstep in evolution. We became too self-aware. Nature created an aspect of nature separate from itself - we are creatures that should not exist by natural law... We are things that labor under the illusion of having a self, that accretion of sensory experience and feelings, programmed with total assurance that we are each somebody, when in fact everybody's nobody... I think the honorable thing for our species to do is to deny our programming. Stop reproducing, walk hand in hand into extinction - one last midnight, brothers and sisters opting out of a raw deal.

I also relate to this exchange between McConaughey's character and Woody Harrelson's (Martin).

Rust Cohle: This place is like somebody's memory of a town, and the memory is fading. It's like there was never anything here but jungle.
Martin Hart: Stop saying shit like that. It's unprofessional.

Here is the Intro song for each episode (8 episodes in all)

The Handsome Family - Far From Any Road
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."