News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

SpaceX Dragon Endeavour Returns

Started by Recusant, August 02, 2020, 09:13:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magdalena

Quote from: Randy on August 11, 2020, 07:35:42 PM
I learned recently that wives outlive their husbands because they aren't married to women.

:snicker:
That's funny.

But that's not why... :smileshake:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Randy

Quote from: Magdalena on August 11, 2020, 08:20:56 PM
I learned recently that wives outlive their husbands because they aren't married to women.

That's funny.

Note: I didn't say women outlive men, I said wives outlive their husbands. But there are a lot of dumb husbands too so your statement holds water. :)
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Magdalena

Quote from: Randy on August 11, 2020, 10:11:05 PM

That's funny.

Note: I didn't say women outlive men, I said wives outlive their husbands. But there are a lot of dumb husbands too so your statement holds water. :)
:grin:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Magdalena on August 12, 2020, 12:45:53 AM

That's funny.

I'm just trying to figure out how much of a hard-ass  :snicker1: this guy has to be to sit on the barrels like that, never mind the safety issue. He's probably a police officer, so I will assume that the thing is unloaded. And we all know about assuming things. Way back when I was a leader in the Boy Scouts (pre-atheist days) I knew police officers who were the dads of some of the scouts. Every one of them could tell stories of accidental discharges of their or fellow officer's service weapons. Crazy, but they are imperfect people, too. I was a Merit Badge Counselor for rifle and shotgun shooting in those days, and an NRA Certified Firearms Instructor (required for MB counselor). I had legal counsel insurance then (as now), because you just know a boy is going to do something stupid on the gun range, and I was the person who would get the lawsuit if he did something stupid. As a result, I was rather firm in the way I conducted the range. This did not look like a Marine Corps Drill Instructor type of behavior, as I was a bit nicer. Interestingly enough, the only person ever to come close to getting kicked off a range I ran was the mother of a scout! Attitude problem.

Magdalena

Quote from: Dark Lightning on August 12, 2020, 03:02:26 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on August 12, 2020, 12:45:53 AM

That's funny.

I'm just trying to figure out how much of a hard-ass  :snicker1: this guy has to be to sit on the barrels like that, never mind the safety issue. He's probably a police officer, so I will assume that the thing is unloaded. And we all know about assuming things. Way back when I was a leader in the Boy Scouts (pre-atheist days) I knew police officers who were the dads of some of the scouts. Every one of them could tell stories of accidental discharges of their or fellow officer's service weapons. Crazy, but they are imperfect people, too. I was a Merit Badge Counselor for rifle and shotgun shooting in those days, and an NRA Certified Firearms Instructor (required for MB counselor). I had legal counsel insurance then (as now) because you just know a boy is going to do something stupid on the gun range, and I was the person who would get the lawsuit if he did something stupid. As a result, I was rather firm in the way I conducted the range. This did not look like a Marine Corps Drill Instructor type of behavior, as I was a bit nicer. Interestingly enough, the only person ever to come close to getting kicked off a range I ran was the mother of a scout! Attitude problem.

Well, sounds like you know your guns, Dark Lightning. You were a leader in the Boy Scouts, a Merit Badge Counselor for rifle and shotgun shooting,  and an NRA Certified Firearms Instructor (required for MB counselor). Had legal counsel insurance then (as now).
~Very impressive résumé.
:popcorn:

Dark Lightning

:-[ Aw, shucks, I'm just another greasy guy on the street!

Randy

Yeah, DL. But you are our favorite greasy guy! :grin:
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Magdalena

Dark Lightning

Thanks, folks. I hope that it didn't come across as bragging, up there. Everyone I ever see bragging turns out to be an empty bucket, except for the BS. Where I used to work, one of my supervisors said that I should talk myself up more. I told him that the louder people talk, the less they seem to know. He chuckled and agreed, but still encouraged me on selling myself. :shrug:

Icarus

Way back in the dark ages I was a recruit at a Coast Guard training facility. We were at the pistol range where extreme caution was to be practiced.  One dumb ass recruit turned around to address the barnacle encrusted Chief Petty Officer instructor.  The dodo was unintentionally pointing his 1911 45 auto toward said CPO. In a lightening strike, something similar to the fast draw western heroes of the movies, the CPO knocked the recruit cold as a mackeral.  Problem solved.

The CPO would be in a heap of trouble for doing that these days.  I'd rather have the old discipline and have my life not so jeopordized by a person, who meant no harm, but had no understanding of the danger to others with his loaded firearm.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Icarus on August 13, 2020, 02:50:52 AM
Way back in the dark ages I was a recruit at a Coast Guard training facility. We were at the pistol range where extreme caution was to be practiced.  One dumb ass recruit turned around to address the barnacle encrusted Chief Petty Officer instructor.  The dodo was unintentionally pointing his 1911 45 auto toward said CPO. In a lightening strike, something similar to the fast draw western heroes of the movies, the CPO knocked the recruit cold as a mackeral.  Problem solved.

The CPO would be in a heap of trouble for doing that these days.  I'd rather have the old discipline and have my life not so jeopordized by a person, who meant no harm, but had no understanding of the danger to others with his loaded firearm.

I ran a Range Officer training course at a local Boy Scout Camp for years. Whenever I went by the Scout store to get awards for the boys, the store manager always had a story about something that happened at the range with some person I had trained, like I was responsible for someone else's failure to run a safe gun range. :lol: There was one story about how a kid turned around and had the muzzle of his .22 rifle pointing at the Range Officer's belly. If I had been that close to the kid, he wouldn't have had a chance to rotate around far enough to have it pointed at me! Situational awareness is extremely important when deadly weapons are in the vicinity.