News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

SpaceX Dragon Endeavour Returns

Started by Recusant, August 02, 2020, 09:13:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

Perhaps we can say that a new era of US manned extraterrestrial excursions has begun successfully. The US astronauts have been riding Russian spacecraft ever since the space shuttle program ended.

Though this successful journey into orbit and back is overall a NASA mission, the spacecraft was not built by NASA. Maybe it's not particularly exciting, but if anybody is interested in the video, the parachutes are deployed around 4:40-4:50 into it.

"SpaceX splashdown smoothly delivers NASA astronauts back to Earth" | c|net

QuoteThe first return of a commercially built and operated US spacecraft carrying NASA astronauts from the International Space Station made waves on Sunday with a splashdown in the Gulf of Mexico right on time at 11:48 a.m. PT.

The SpaceX Crew Dragon passengers -- NASA astronauts Bob Behnken and Doug Hurley -- fittingly named the history-making spacecraft Endeavour.

[Continues . . .]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

It's good to have a couple of independent launch vehicles available again.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dark Lightning

19 hour descent? Soft ride! It's good to see the US back in the manned launch game!

Randy

This makes me wonder if we'll have a new shuttle program. It had its uses besides delivering people to the ISS like deploying satellites for instance. Here we have a company that can do all that now.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Tank

Quote from: Dark Lightning on August 02, 2020, 09:29:00 PM
19 hour descent? Soft ride! It's good to see the US back in the manned launch game!

That would have been 18 1/2 hours of slow down followed by 30 minutes of FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Dark Lightning

:lol: I despise free fall (and confined spaces). Never would have been an astronaut.

Tank

Quote from: Dark Lightning on August 07, 2020, 02:00:59 PM
:lol: I despise free fall (and confined spaces). Never would have been an astronaut.

So you're not at home in high speed lifts then?  ;)

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Tank on August 07, 2020, 04:30:06 PM
Quote from: Dark Lightning on August 07, 2020, 02:00:59 PM

So you're not at home in high speed lifts then?  ;)

You had me puzzled there for a few seconds until I processed that you were somewhere in the UK. I can tolerate an elevator ride. They aren't as cramped as a space capsule, and I have yet to see one in free fall. The Twin Towers in New York being an obvious exception. :smilenod:

Icarus

DL there are some elevators that descend so fast that it feels like free fall. 

My least favorite elevators are those jazzy ones that are housed in a glass enclosure outside the perimeter of the building.  When descending, the ground appears to be approaching  really quickly...........it is scary for someone who is cursed with acrophobia......like me.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Icarus on August 09, 2020, 01:28:36 AM
DL there are some elevators that descend so fast that it feels like free fall. 

My least favorite elevators are those jazzy ones that are housed in a glass enclosure outside the perimeter of the building.  When descending, the ground appears to be approaching  really quickly...........it is scary for someone who is cursed with acrophobia......like me.

Yeah, I won't even ride in them. I'd take the stairs first, no matter how many floors. I got really good at sliding on the handrails in my youth. Side-saddle, of course!  ;D

Randy

I got pretty good at sliding on the rails too. Our apartment building in Germany didn't have an elevator. Of course I wouldn't do it now. I've got better sense. I could have fallen down the stairwell!
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Randy on August 10, 2020, 12:00:45 AM
I got pretty good at sliding on the rails too. Our apartment building in Germany didn't have an elevator. Of course I wouldn't do it now. I've got better sense. I could have fallen down the stairwell!

Heh, the shit we did back when we were young and immortal!  ;D

Icarus

When I was a kid, I climbed trees along with the other boys.  I am not so inclined anymore so I have to hire "tree men" to trim the branches and remove deadwood.   BFD, I did that when I was 12 years old.  Now the tree guys quote prices like $400 per hour.  They never quote by the hourly rate.  They look at the tree, look at this old man who surely must be stupid or demented..........They tell me Uuuum.... I will do it for $800. If I challenge the price, they tell me that it is a dangerous job that has to earn high risk compensation. Almost none of them phrase it that way because the word compensation is not in their working vocabulary

A while back I offered a tree guy two dollars a minute to trim my five palm trees.  He, being a math knothead agreed.  It took him 42 minutes to trim the palms that he had insisted should be a bargain at $200.  $82 versus 200.  He still made more money per minute than my family physician makes.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Icarus on August 11, 2020, 02:12:19 AM
When I was a kid, I climbed trees along with the other boys.  I am not so inclined anymore so I have to hire "tree men" to trim the branches and remove deadwood.   BFD, I did that when I was 12 years old.  Now the tree guys quote prices like $400 per hour.  They never quote by the hourly rate.  They look at the tree, look at this old man who surely must be stupid or demented..........They tell me Uuuum.... I will do it for $800. If I challenge the price, they tell me that it is a dangerous job that has to earn high risk compensation. Almost none of them phrase it that way because the word compensation is not in their working vocabulary

A while back I offered a tree guy two dollars a minute to trim my five palm trees.  He, being a math knothead agreed.  It took him 42 minutes to trim the palms that he had insisted should be a bargain at $200.  $82 versus 200.  He still made more money per minute than my family physician makes.

So true. My wife wants an extension on the roof of the garage that will extend horizontally away from the garage, across the front of the house, sort of like a veranda. She doesn't want me to do it, but we're having trouble finding a contractor in this covid biz, to do it. My one son and I can do it easily, but I'm getting to the point that I'm just going to put up a hammock in the back yard and let her waste all the rest of our money.  >:(

Randy

Quote from: Dark Lightning on August 11, 2020, 03:12:32 AM
Quote from: Icarus on August 11, 2020, 02:12:19 AM

So true. My wife wants an extension on the roof of the garage that will extend horizontally away from the garage, across the front of the house, sort of like a veranda. She doesn't want me to do it, but we're having trouble finding a contractor in this covid biz, to do it. My one son and I can do it easily, but I'm getting to the point that I'm just going to put up a hammock in the back yard and let her waste all the rest of our money.  >:(
I learned recently that wives outlive their husbands because they aren't married to women.

Like Icarus I've climbed my share of trees along with the other boys. At one point we made a three story tree house with a bridge to another single story one. Getting onto the third story was somewhat scary. The trees moved more with the wind up there. Oh to be young and stupid again.