News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

The English Byble

Started by Icarus, August 14, 2020, 10:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

https://www.livescience.com/thomas-cromwell-inserted-himself-into-henry-viii-great-bible.html?utm_source=Selligent&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=9160&utm_content=LVS_newsletter+&utm_term=3965884&m_i=he3iROHBV9ZCf6s1o0r4mX_%2BwACL0us2KU_xKC2f1Dp16OZvRLOHxGtXJ3QGnoX_yqtCrOy_kKw3937Ltm9vd8XLqXrwswvroYM28Q3hhj

The history of the many bibles has long been an interesting subject for me. I wish that committed Christians took an equal interest in the making of their "sacred" text.  Then they might be less inclined to believe that the KJV is the unquestioned word of God.

Randy

I just read the article. It's intriguing to say the least. I may have to go back and read it again to let it soak in.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

No one

What you ask Icarus requires a functional cerebrum. So by default, christards are disqualified.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Icarus on August 14, 2020, 10:24:03 PM
https://www.livescience.com/thomas-cromwell-inserted-himself-into-henry-viii-great-bible.html?utm_source=Selligent&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=9160&utm_content=LVS_newsletter+&utm_term=3965884&m_i=he3iROHBV9ZCf6s1o0r4mX_%2BwACL0us2KU_xKC2f1Dp16OZvRLOHxGtXJ3QGnoX_yqtCrOy_kKw3937Ltm9vd8XLqXrwswvroYM28Q3hhj

The history of the many bibles has long been an interesting subject for me. I wish that committed Christians took an equal interest in the making of their "sacred" text.  Then they might be less inclined to believe that the KJV is the unquestioned word of God.

I learned in a Southern Baptist seminary many years ago how the Bible came into being.  The vast majority of educated Christians don't put the KJV on top of the heap anymore.  The Bible is a collection of writings, not a book. The writings were basically chosen by committee - there were others that were left out.  Some appear to be more genuine than others.  But you generally don't hear that in church.

Randy

Ever since I learned about the Protestant Reformation I wondered what the apocryphal books contained? Who decided which books were to be included?

Also, as a side note, I've been spelling Bible with a lowercase "B" because it isn't the name of a book but a collection. I think it is just proper English to capitalize it. I don't like to hold reverence to it though. For now I'll go back to spelling it correctly even though I don't like it.
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Icarus

The numerous versions of the bible are indeed a collection of books. Of questionable origin and authenticity, I might add.  An assembly of books, under one cover, is often called a codex.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Randy on August 17, 2020, 03:50:58 PM
Ever since I learned about the Protestant Reformation I wondered what the apocryphal books contained? Who decided which books were to be included?

Also, as a side note, I've been spelling Bible with a lowercase "B" because it isn't the name of a book but a collection. I think it is just proper English to capitalize it. I don't like to hold reverence to it though. For now I'll go back to spelling it correctly even though I don't like it.

The Catholic church kept the apocryphal books.  You can read them if you get a Catholic Bible.  Some of them are quite interesting, even if you don't accept them as being inspired or divine.

Randy

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on August 19, 2020, 03:41:52 PM
Quote from: Randy on August 17, 2020, 03:50:58 PM

The Catholic church kept the apocryphal books.  You can read them if you get a Catholic Bible.  Some of them are quite interesting, even if you don't accept them as being inspired or divine.
I know. It's just that all I see on the shelves of a bookstore are the KJV ones. I don't plan to buy either.